Sunday, April 24, 2011

Worst Saturday Ever?

Well, not for me. My Saturday was fine. Typical, slightly dull, and mildly productive, but fine. My son though, had a rough time. Why? The Playstation Network had been down since Wednesday. What this means, for those of you who are noobs and not in the know, is that my son could play PS3, but he couldn't play online with all of his pasty white nerd friends across the country. (I tell myself that these friends are no different than the friends I've made through blogging. Right?) This was all mildly annoying during the week but he wasn't too bothered since he was at school. But by Saturday, when it became clear that he would be missing out on some prime gaming time, he was aggravated. Let me tell you, a nerd on gaming withdrawal is grouchy. I'll be the first to admit that I may have looked at him and uttered the phrase, "Wow. Someone has their period." (That right there shows you that I probably spend way too much time talking to middle school boys.)

After turning the PS3 on and off half a dozen times and reading news articles about the outage, the boy decided he may as well find something else to do. Here's a short list of some of what he did:

*Annoyed me. First and foremost. I have no patience for someone flopping around the house complaining about their lot in life. I get it. You can't pretend to kill people. I feel your pain and kinda miss it myself, but life goes on.

*Annoyed the girl. This is when you know you've taken being a pest to a whole new level, when the girl actually asks you to leave her alone.

*Read a book. This one didn't last long.

*Watched Youtube videos of other people playing video games. This is like the nicotine patch for addicted gamers.

*Made a fake Facebook page for someone named Boonar Testisack. (Because the name 'Boner' didn't make it past the Facebook censors.) It should come as no surprise that Mr. Testisack works as an FBI agent-Female Body Inspector.

But somewhere around 8:00 PM, as I was drinking my nightly glass of wine, the boy, probably realizing that once Mom pours her wine the chances of us going anywhere are slim to none, agreed to play a game of Scrabble with me. The TV was off, the girl was in bed and Jay was at work. It was just the two of us. And we had the most fun. Not only was he being jovial and silly but he actually tried to win, so the game was challenging to me. (Of course he didn't win, but the score was surprisingly close considering you can only spell penis and balls so many times.)

Board games are nothing new around here. We play them a lot. But because the boy is at the kind of jerky-almost a teenager age, I always get the impression that deep down he doesn't really want to be with us and that if something better were to come along then he'd drop us like a bag of dirt. Last night though, nothing better was coming along, and he knew it. So he let himself have a good time.

I know that I can't force what happened last night. If I were to institute a mandatory Family Game Night it just wouldn't be the same, there would be a certain level of resentment. A lot of things had to fall into place for last nights fun to happen. I'm glad they did and I'm glad I was here to enjoy it.

But..... as of my last checking, Playstation Network is still down so I may be able to milk this a little bit longer.

9 comments:

Daphne said...

sounds like a pretty nice night! sometimes I wish for a nice power outage -- technology can be stressful and I wouldn't mind a (warm) night of candlelight and board games.

~*Gumbo Soul*~ said...

I was giggling all the way through this blog. I love just how "BOY" the boy is. The part about the fake fb profile gave me the giggles. LOL

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Mr. Boonar made me laugh.
What a cool night!
...little moments.

This post took a different direction i thought you were going to say he was grounded and that was why he couldn't play his PS3.

Maria Rose said...

Hilarious blog! I can't believe there are people who watch youtube videos of video game playing, awesome.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

This was a WONDERFUL posting. I love it! Your boy and my youngest boy could be best of friends. It's that age. We were at camp sans electronics and mine pestered us all to no end. Thankfully his big brother played UNO with him until the wee hours one night -- which meant he slept wickedly late the next day (bonus!!!). Your weekends sound like mine. Husband working. Boring times. But, it beats me having to go to work. I'll see if my boy wants to befriend Boonar T. on FB.

craftytammie said...

your writing always make me laugh(in a good way), but this was a great post! i can't wait til my kids can play board games with me, but sadly, by then, they will think they are BORED games and not want to play with me. sigh. xo from your pasty white nerd blogger friend.

Dysfunctional Mom said...

We hardly ever play board games, and we really should.
It sounds like fun. I have really discovered that I love teenagers. This weekend both of my teens had a friend over, so there were four teens in the house and we had a blast.

Stephanie Meade Gresham said...

"This is like the nicotine patch for addicted gamers."

Hahaha. Poor YOU! I have a hard time keeping my seven year old occupied over long weekends. After I dragged my pregnant self through two birthday parties (mostly to get some toddler-free time in) and a trip to the swimming pool, she was hemming and hawing about not having anything to do.

I pulled the ol, "in my day we went outside and played with sticks and bugs and didn't bug our moms about DVDs and fingerpainting...."

Congrats to you (and him) on making it through the weekend. And I'm glad you didn't let him win the game of scrabble. :)

Dani said...

Excellent post, Tammie.

I relish those fleeting moments of togetherness. And you are so right; you can never replicate them.

I'm thinking The Boy has been having his period a lot lately.