Monday, April 4, 2011

Grant Park

I've been reading Ramona Quimby, Age 8 to the girl. While I knew that Beverly Cleary was from around here, I never realized how often this area was mentioned in her stories.

This is the first true chapter book I've read to the girl, and in doing so I'm really trying hard to bring the story to life for her so that she doesn't lose interest. Ramona mentions being able to see Mt. Hood from her classroom window. Hey, we can see Mt. Hood too. When Ramona's dad gave her a Pink Pearl eraser for the first day of school, I went out and bought one for the girl. (Although she was thankful, I have to say that the girl wasn't nearly as excited about the eraser as Ramona was. Sadly, in an age of $60 video games, a 49 cent eraser doesn't have the same appeal it once had.)

This past Sunday, Jay had the idea of taking the girl to Grant Park. Grant Park pops up in a lot of Cleary's stories and the real Klickitat Street, where the Quimby's and their friend Henry Huggins lived, is just a few blocks away.

The highlight of the park was the Beverly Cleary sculpture garden. As soon as Lucy realized this was a sculpture of Ramona, she ran up and held her hand as if they were about to go splash in mud puddles together.

This is the first time I've read a Ramona book in decades and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. Ramona is so sweet but still a bit rough and tumble-the perfect heroine for a little girl who is not above causing her own harmless shenanigans.

This Saturday the library is hosting a 90 minute Ramona walking tour, where you visit the places mentioned in the books. If the girl was just a wee bit older, I'd be all over this. But at this point I just don't think she'd have an appreciation for the full tour, since we've only read the one book so far. Maybe next year.

14 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Awesome! I love the Ramona books. My eldest just read all of them last year after years of me trying to foist them on her.

jessie b said...

Way to bring it full circle!!!

~*Gumbo Soul*~ said...

oh wow!! That settles it. We need to move. LOL

Hotch Potchery said...

Awesome!!!!!

Dysfunctional Mom said...

You are so FUN! I love this.
The tour sounds awesome too, I hope you get the chance to do it some time.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

man will you be my mom?
I would so love this!!

Dani said...

I loved and still love the Ramona books.

I should read one to The Girl. I think she would like them as well.

I remember laughing out loud when reading the first Ramona book and she exclaimed, "The Devil made me do it." when she was caught squeezing the whole tube of toothpaste into the sink.

hester said...

I've never heard of these books, but they sound great. I love that photo of The Girl with Ramona.

Maria Rose said...

Wonderful! I can't wait to share books (beyond board books) with my little lady!

CT said...

I've never read the Ramona books! I think the only truly child books I read were Grimm's Faery Tales (was taught to read by them)and Andersen Faery Tales. From that I jumped to the Green Gables books. Now you've piqued my curiosity! Thanks ;D

Daphne said...

What a great photo! I adored all the Ramona books and the girl is definitely a Ramona! :)

Run Lori Run said...

wait, I thought you were a lazy parent? :)

mesnard said...

Fantastic pic! I found the image while searching for a Ramona cover.

What a great surprise.

Tammie said...

thank you!!