Friday, March 4, 2011

Silver Falls

A few weeks ago the family and I drove to Silver Falls state park. I was going to write about it sooner but I was worried this was becoming Tammie's Blog of Waterfalls and that I may be boring you, but then I got over it. I like waterfalls and there are a lot of them around here, so you may just want to get used to it.A view from behind the waterfall:Silver Falls is one giant park but it seems more like a bunch of smaller connected parks. The most exciting feature (for us, anyway) is the Trail of Ten Falls, which is an eight mile hiking trail that passes by all the falls. We didn't do the whole hike, choosing to drive to various falls and then doing shorter hikes around the falls. The girl just can't do an eight mile hike yet.
The weather the day we went was pretty cold and there were still clumps of snow on leaves and branches and along the paths.My son, who otherwise has a habit of being quite lazy, always takes the long and rough route when hiking: In between waterfall viewing, we stopped at the lodge to warm up and eat some snacks. Which, for the girl was a popsicle, oddly enough. This shot was taken right before she spilled half a bottle of red Gatorade on my pant leg. Because you know, no day of family togetherness can ever be too perfect. Jay and I were thinking that the next time we go clothes shopping it may be wise to invest in some actual outdoor-type clothing so we don't have to hike in our street clothes. This last time they got so muddy I had to wash our jeans twice before they came clean. We'll definitely be heading back to Silver Falls. One of the fun aspects of moving somewhere completely different from where you've been your whole life, is that it takes a long time to get sick of all the sights. We're coming up on the one year anniversary of our move and everything is still so new to us. I was talking to another mother yesterday about the gorgeous sights in Oregon and she was saying how waterfalls aren't that exciting to her son anymore, they're old hat. I guess I can understand this, because that's how my family feels about beaches, swamps, and alligators.

I don't know what our plans are for this weekend, but I have a newspaper here with a hiking article in it and the destinations are calling my name. Happy trails!

12 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well that explains why REI was invented/opened up there.(Outdoor clothing)

I lived near Niagara Falls the first 30 years of my life but never got sick of going there. I love the pics! Gorgeous.

Your daughter cracks me up. She is always making faces in her photos. I get the impression she may be a bundle of energy non stop. :-)

Tammie said...

peggy: she's a total ham and she exhausts me physically and mentally.

there's a huge rei right by our house, im thinking of going there and snooping around.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I'm not sure if I could hike 8 miles either. I'm impressed with your hiking ambition. It's too easy to be lazy here when temps are sub zero and there's a foot of snow on the ground. I am envious of your darn-good hiking conditions.

Dysfunctional Mom said...

I am cold just looking at the pic of The Girl eating a popsicle!
Your pictures are beautiful, don't stop sharing them. I love seeing your part of the world. I can't believe you've been there almost a year! That truly flew by.
I think the reason that I'm not tired of the sights around here yet is that I never saw much of them as a child, or in my first marriage. My parents never (literally, never) took us to the beach. They've lived in Gainesville for almost 50 years, as far as I know they've never been to Devil's Milhopper (I only went once as a child and that was with friends), or Payne's Prarie, or pretty much anywhere, really. So it's all still relatively new to me!

hester said...

I'm not bored with Oregon's waterfalls yet, so keep them coming. This bunch are really spectacular. Definitely time for us to stop being couch potatoes and go find a waterfall of our own.

victoria said...

Ugh, so beautiful. I think of you every time the sun is getting on my nerves. I say, "that's it, I'm moving to Portland." Aren't Floridians supposed to like the sun? While walking the other day, I also thought of you when I saw a package of doughnuts that have been on the ground since we moved here in Oct. It reminded me of the tampon post!! :-D Whatever did happen to that thing?

Dani said...

One day, our crew is going to head up to Oregon for a family vacation. It looks amazing.

And then we can meet up.

Ha! Family trips can't be too perfect, can they?

Daphne said...

So glad you made it there! One of my favorite places. Yes, you need outdoor clothes. I bet you can find plenty of them thrifted. :) Also, try "ski swaps" and things like that...

kraftykash said...

That is beautiful!! I dont think I would ever get tired of looking at tht view.

Bridge said...

Oh Tammie. You make me fantasize about traveling to Oregon. Beautiful.

Mandy said...

Soooooo beautiful and inspiring! I'm feeling like I need a road trip to some good hiking places now!!

Knotted Nest said...

I'm all for a blog of waterfalls! It looks like a really beautiful place. I'm hoping to visit Oregon in the next couple of years and can't wait to do some quality hiking. Thanks for feeding my desire to get off the computer and go exploring :)