Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Rhubarb Cake

For the last few months, Jay has been getting some fancy schmancy dental work done and he's set a personal goal for himself that every time he leaves the dentist's office, he has to leave with something "for free." The first time it was the typical toothpaste/floss/toothbrush combo. His second appointment had him leaving with a nifty device that you screw onto your tube of toothpaste and it squeezes out every last drop off toothpaste for you. The third visit he actually went up to the desk and said, "Do you have anything free laying around here?" The receptionist just stared at him (I'm assuming with that bewildered/frustrated look that I usually give him) and handed him a magnetic calendar. This most recent time, he was reading the latest issue of Sunset magazine while waiting and he came upon a tasty sounding recipe. He took the magazine to the receptionist and said, "Hey. You have a copy machine back there, right? Make a copy of this for me please."

The recipe was for this:Rhubarb upside down cake with rhubarb compote and rosemary caramel sauce.Because what's better to eat after a trip to the dentist than caramel soaked caked?

The aroma this cake gave off was amazing. It was light and airy, almost like angel food cake, but it contained 3 ounces of melted white chocolate, which made it smell wonderful while baking. And then the rosemary infused caramel sauce just added another fragrant layer. I would love to have a candle that smelled this good.

This cake was a hit with the whole family, which surprised me because rhubarb isn't something we eat a lot of. It wasn't readily available in Florida and I hadn't gotten around to doing anything with it since moving to Oregon. We ended up eating the entire cake for dinner.

So yes, get your hands on a copy of Sunset, stealing it from the dentist if you have to, and make this cake.

(Jay has another dentist appointment in a month. I wonder what he'll come home with?)

12 comments:

daphne said...

Oh my god, that sounds amazing. I think I might have to make that this weekend. (isn't rhubarb yummy? I'm going to plant one, I think)

Tammie said...

daph: rhubarb is wonderful and i definitely want to do more baking with it. i think this cake would be a great weekend bake project. it was fun to make. it was a bit more time consuming than im used to, like, i had never made my own caramel sauce before but it was easy and fun. i may make more just to have on hand.

The WoodLand School said...

I love the story - I love the cake - and I *love* the vision of your husband's antics. Can't wait to see what he scores next time!

~*Gumbo Soul*~ said...

I have never had rhubarb but with all these neat recipes floating around for it, I'm going to have to try it.

Our dentist office is all about the free gear. They always load the kids up with a bag of stuff like toothpaste, toothbrush, floss picks, a ticket for a free ice cream, pencils, erasers... and then they have a "token" machine that spits out those ridiculous squishy squashy squinkies. LOL

The last time I was there with Nadia I nabbed a free pocket calender/date book and a pen. Yay for freebies!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

you're teasing us.....how 'bout the recipe?

I think it's a hoot that Jay does this. I can't wait to see what he gets for free next time.

Maria Rose said...

Your husband is awesome. Every time Eric goes to the dentist he comes home cranky that they are doing some sort of dental wizardry, cursing his mouth and taking his money (for the record he's just jealous because my teeth are awesome). I think perhaps he should take a note from your husband and turn it into a treasure hunt!

P.S. The cake looks awesome. Sadly I am allergic to rhubarb and it will forever remain a mystery to me.

victoria said...

At first, I thought it was another pizza. Funny, George is doing a ton of work with his dentist as well. I'm so mad at myself because his first apt was Jan 3. Um, if I would have called 2 weeks earlier, he would have had '10 entire year of insurance. Who makes that kind of mistake? grrr .. now we are just plugging away, dropping sometimes thousands each visit. Definitely going to stretch it out so we at least get his last big apt in after '12! :-/

Mandy said...

My mom used to make Rhubarb pie... omg, now I am craving it!!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

An old farmer lady my parents knew gave me part of her prized rhubarb plant 20 years ago. That baby produces so many stalks that I run out of ideas for using it. I'll have to think cake in a couple of months, when that plant takes over the garden again.

Not Hannah said...

Omalawsy, rosemary caramel sauce areyoufrickinkiddingme?

Ahem.

Found the recipe on Sunset's web page. http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=50400000110971 Don't know if I can find rhubarb around here (trip to the gourmet grocer in Nearest Largish City, anyone?), but I might try this just for the sauce. After Gumbo Soul's pineapple cake.

Dang, y'all are killing me.

Run Lori Run said...

This post cracks me up. I really like rhubarb but my rhubarb plant isn't quite ready to harvest yet. I'll be looking up this recipe when it is, thanks!

Dani said...

Jay cracks my shit up.

Dammit...that cake looks spectacular. And I don't think I've ever actually used the word spectacular to describe something before.

I'd eat it for dinner. If I weren't married to a man that would give me the stink eye for making such poor nutritional choices. I love him dearly, but sometimes he's an old fuddy duddy.