Saturday, February 5, 2011

Vanity Fair Questionnaire

Yesterday on her blog Peggy took a Vanity Fair questionnaire and then challenged her readers to do the same. I love the idea and thought the questions were fun so I decided to play along. Here we go.

Quickly name a unique item you have in your house.
Handmade items. Some made by me, some made by friends. Paintings, a dream catcher, and various other craftiness. I love being surrounded by things made by the folks I love.

What are your two favorite names?
Lucinda and Montgomery, my children.

What do you consider a necessary luxury?
Fancy beauty products, perfume, and makeup. It doesn't matter if no one but me knows that I'm wearing Chanel nail polish. I know and it makes me feel pretty. There isn't a ton of money in the budget for these types of splurges, but I still try to treat myself a few times a year.

What type of car would you like to drive?
A Toyota Prius. (Yeah, I know. I'm one of those people.) Really though, I don't care that much what car I'm driving as long as it's equipped with satellite radio. So yeah, maybe satellite radio is a necessary luxury also. I'm starting to feel spoiled.

What is your favorite color and has it changed over the years?
Blue. It's always been blue.

What quality do you most admire in a man?
Sense of humor. Also, the ability to discuss the occasional book with me.

In a woman?
Hmmm....interesting. Lately I'm drawn to women who are somewhat independent and can think for themselves.

What is something you long for?
I desperately want both of my children to find careers that they enjoy and that can finance a decent, fairly stress free life. On a more immediate note, I wouldn't mind finding a good lotion to get rid of the dry skin around my bra line. Seriously, it is such a good thing I'm already happily married because the constant boob scratching I do would get me no action.

If money were no object what would you buy yourself?
An apartment right in the city. And a really good boob lotion.

What charity would you donate a million dollars to?
I'm stealing Peggy's answer-anything to do with women/children. Especially children. The playing field needs to be a bit more level. I hate that certain kids have it so hard while others (mine included) have it so easy just by being born into a better family situation.

What book have you just finished reading?
I'm really not sure what the last book I read was. I've been reading Last Child in the Woods for over a week now, which is a long time for me. It's a really good book and I'm savoring it.

Name one book that made an impact and why?
This one was really hard for me because there are so many books that I've read that have made an impact. Sometimes even the shitty ones have a way of making an impact. But right now I'd have to say, I'm Perfect, You're Doomed by Kyria Abrahams, it's the true story of a gal raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. It was the first book I had read that I truly could relate to. I still highly recommend it.

Name one liquid always in your fridge?
Organic milk. My kids drink a lot of milk and it's the one thing I insist on being organic. (Shit! Maybe that's a necessary luxury too!)

Name one food item always in your fridge?
Ketchup. My daughter puts it on everything.

What could you eat everyday?
Cheese.

Everyday I drink...
Coffee. Lots of coffee.

TV Guilty Pleasure:
Adult animation like The Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, and most of Adult Swim on Cartoon Network.

TV Show I Don't Miss:
Ha! I couldn't narrow it down to just one. 30 Rock, Portlandia, The Ricky Gervais Show.

Name a favorite fictional character from a book.
Adrian Mole (No one ever knows who I'm talking about when I mention Adrian Mole, so here's the Wikipedia page with more info.)

From a movie:
Annie Hall

What phrase or motto do you over use?
I'm constantly telling my kids to "Take it down a notch."

I own a lot of:
I don't know if I own a lot of anything anymore. I'm not as much into 'stuff' as I used to be. I'd rather have 'experiences'.

I collect:
See previous.

I try to avoid:
Embarrassing myself.

One thing I know:
As shitty as things can be sometimes, I am very, very lucky.

Everyday I:
Set aside time to read a book. It keeps me sane.

The last time I wrote a letter and mailed it was:
About a week and a half ago. My dad sent me a letter confronting me about celebrating holidays and no longer being one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I immediately wrote him back, telling him my honest feelings. I haven't heard from him since. No surprise really.

Dog or cat?
Probably cat, but I love all animals.

Might I now suggest that you folks take the quiz?

14 comments:

Lia said...

Huh. Never would have pegged you as a fancy make-up wearer. I am the opposite, grocery store make-up, shampoo, etc.

And I love the name Lucinda.

mandy said...

fun idea.

as always, you've got me cracking up.

and, what the heck is boob lotion?

Tammie said...

mandy: at this point, anything that could clear up my itchy boob skin. :)

Bridge said...

Tammie you are very funny. And for me blue, has always been blue always will be blue. I love blue.

Maria Rose said...

Funny and interesting, just what I needed!

Jessie at Luna Pacifica said...

Ha! Boob lotion! LOL!

Great answersd!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I think we're on the same page with a lot of these things....except for the nail polish. I can't do that. I need some of that boob lotion too -- I think it's just a wintertime dry skin itch, but it's driving me to distraction.

Tammie said...

lia: i know, it really doesnt fit with my overall personality.
it started because i could never find a foundation that wouldnt make me break out. my bf suggested bare minerals and Ive been hooked ever since.

i really dont buy a lot of beauty products though and i think thats why i can justify the more expensive stuff. when it comes to makeup/moisturizers/etc. i buy what i know works and stick with that.

Daphne said...

Oh, I can't resist a questionnaire! I will do this one. Love your answers.

Try coconut oil?

Stephanie Meade Gresham said...

Last time I visited my grandma she told me to rub "just plain grease" on my belly when it itched.

Maybe you could try it on your boobies and tell me how it works?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ooh good ones.
You made me rethink some of mine.

I'm sorry about your fathers letter Tammie. I know that probably wasn't a fun letter to write. Did it make you feel a bit lighter after sending it though?

As for your dry skin - no matter where it is - Our house can't be without this stuff. 'Aquaphor'
You can get it at Costco behind the pharmacy or drugstore.com or any walmart or a drugstore. EAsy to get. It's in a round tub or I have seen a tube. It isn't real expensive and while it seems like it will be greasy it really isn't. I have such dry patches in the winter and i also had a situation like your having now - it works and quickly. It even clears up eczema.
It is my new wonder cream since I learned about this stuff. Check it out.

Tammie said...

stephanie: no thank you.

peggy: i used to use that all the time when the kids were little. ill definitely try it again. i bet that would work! thanks for reminding me.

Patricia said...

Ah, I liked your statement regarding wanting to have "experiences" as opposed to things. Yes! Same here!

Dani said...

Organic milk isn't a luxury. It's a necessity unless you want your child going through puberty while in the single digits. Just my humble opinion.

As always, you make me smile.

Hope your boob situation improves.