Thursday, February 24, 2011

Snow Day Randomness

This morning, the Portland area woke up to this:Our first winter here in Oregon has been quite mild, but we had been hearing about the impending 'snowstorm' for about a week now. The big flakes started around 8 last night and the kids got jumpy and excited, hoping for a snow day. Then it stopped and we all went to bed. I woke up at 3:30 and looked out the window. Nothing. But sometime between 3:30 and 6:30, snow fell, and was still falling while we drank our morning coffee.The snow day wish was granted. Although a lot of long time Oregonians grumble about the way this area sort of shuts down when a little bit of snow falls, I like it. I enjoy the laziness of a snow day. It's as if the universe is giving you a free pass to do nothing. The girl is watching TV and the boy is off making snow day mischief with his buddies. I like knowing they're close by. Of course, the sun is shining bright and the snow is steadily melting, so things will be back to normal tomorrow I'm sure.

In other news:

*Jay and I officially no longer own a home in Florida. The closing date was this morning. Even though things ended badly and we made no money, I really do have to consider myself lucky. When we took our paperwork into the bank here to get everything notarized, our bank guy said, "Wow! You sold a house in Florida?!? That's amazing." Plus, Jay pulled the records of recently sold homes in our old neighborhood and some of them are selling for ridiculously low amounts, like $88,000. I shouldn't be surprised about this because there are homes down in south Florida that are selling for $30,000. It's just insanity. But we're done, and I consider that something to smile about.

*I have about six craft projects in the works and no desire to really complete any of them at the moment. I hate it when that happens.

*In the past two days I've eaten an entire jar of salsa. I made Amy Karol's Magic Sauce and I've been putting it on just about everything. I'll admit it looks sort of like barf, but the taste is amazing. Even Jay likes it, and I was scared to share the recipe with him. There's something you all should know about our household: I do the everyday, keep-us-alive, food prep but if we want the tasty stuff, Jay does the cooking. Jay likes to cook and he's good at it. He's so good at it that when he works a lot and I feed the kids more than a few days in a row, they start to seriously grumble to me about the lack of 'real food.' (Since when is a grilled cheese sandwich and an applesauce cup not real food?) Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that I don't always like to talk to Jay about new recipes because he looks at me condescendingly as if to say, Whatever, you silly girl. Go back to your books and your Alec Baldwin dvd's and leave me to make the real food. But even he loves the Magic Sauce, so it must be good.

*Don't forget to enter the giveaway. The winner will be announced tomorrow.

16 comments:

Nowheymama said...

SO GLAD you are done with the Florida house!!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

for some reason I thought it was tomorrow (the closing) and I was holding off and saying that to you.

I am so happy for you. Now a true new beginning.

Why is Florida so upside down in the market? I didn't realize it was so much worse there.

Veronica said...

A) Your pics are really awesome! It looks like a winter wonderland. FL is starting to heat up again: 80's today with windows open.

B) CONGRATS ON SELLING THE HOUSE!!!! So happy for you guys! Every once in a while though, i miss the old 'hood. We had some really great neighbors.

C) I will have to try that salsa recipe! Dennis is a salsa fiend.

Stephanie Meade Gresham said...

We are rapidly growing out of our Florida home and there's no hope for us to sell it and find something more fitting in the near future.

*sigh.

I'm happy for you, though. Yay.

When you get Oregon-grumpy just think of us stacked up on one-another and you'll feel better in no time.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Glad you managed to get rid of the house. The market is so tough right now, though I wish I was in the market to buy. I think there could be some great deals to be had.

Mandy said...

Beautiful snow pics! I must say though, I am SO ready for winter to be over!

Carla said...

I'll join the chorus of congrats on selling your house - what a relief I'm sure!

I laugh at west coast snow days - if we used the same criteria winter would be one constant snow day.

Run Lori Run said...

I don't know if I can do the magic sauce. But if you AND Dani say it is good........

Daphne said...

YAY! Oh, such good news about your house. What a relief, I'm sure. Whew!!!

Isn't the snow fun? We are waiting for ours -- I hope we get even a light dusting this morning. And not just ice. Ice is defintely not as fun as snow.

I made the Magic Sauce last night. Holy heck it's yummy.

Lia said...

Woot! for the sale of the house!

We have the EXACT same cooking situation here at our house. Lee is the chef and I am the heater-upper. Lee cooks the amazing stuff and I boil some frozen dumplings or make a frozen cheese pizza. However, when I do actually cook, Lee is most grateful and encouraging.

Snow days are awesome. The free ticket to do nothing is the best gift from the universe ever.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I made the barfiest looking magic sauce last night. I'm debating whether I want to post the pictures because I think it may turn people off from my blog. But it truly is magic. Yum. I couldn't bring myself to admit the ingredients to the children. What they don't know....

We're getting a huge storm tomorrow. The kids have been home all week on break and thankfully, I don't have to work tomorrow. I LOVE being home when it's snowing.

You gotta get your crafting mojo back. You inspired me with that rug of yours (you and Holly from Hot Tea Milk Chocolate). I'm trying to make one -- I can't believe how much fabric it takes. I spend more time cutting than actually crocheting. I keep going back to your rug posting to get inspiration.

Dani said...

Yesssss to non-home ownership. I know avweight has been lifted.

Magic sauce is really magical, no? I'm still in awe. Even if it does look like puke.

Snow days are magical, too.

I bet magic sauce being eaten on a snow day would be magic overload.

hester said...

Great news about your house selling. Must feel like a huge relief to have it out of your life.

The snow looks just magical. Lucky you. I know with certainty that it ain't never going to snow in Brisbane.

Dysfunctional Mom said...

Congrats on the house sale!

Maria Rose said...

I can't imagine shutting down for a small skiff of snow like that (wish we would). WY would be completely shut down from De.c-March.

Congratulations on the sale!!!!

PS Got the package. Thank you!

Pam said...

I haven't been able to bring myself to make the Magic Sauce because the thought of salsa and peanut butter together is so odd. But I may just have to try it.