Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Return to Oxbow Park

I know so many of you have been experiencing some horrendous weather lately and I'm sorry for that. But here in the Portland area it's been rather pleasant. Not too cold, not too rainy, and with the occasional snippet of sunshine hanging around just long enough to warm the bones. This past Sunday we decided to take advantage of the lovely weather and head back to Oxbow Park.

We first visited Oxbow back in October and I'm determined to experience it at least once every season, just to take note of the changes. This time, everything was even more lush and green than before. The rainy season does wonders for this place.The last time we were here we saw dozens of deer. This time, there were hardly any. In fact, we only saw two on the way into the park. (Do deer go somewhere else in the winter? Is that a stupid question that I should know the answer to?) There were though, a lot of moss covered trees.Time spent out in the woods refreshes us and recharges our family battery. I see this most with my son who is such a nature child although he probably isn't self aware enough yet to realize or admit it. He's often complaining to me about how so much of popularity at school is based on how well you do at organized sports. In his words, "Even the dumb and ugly kids are popular if they're on a team." And as hard as he tries, that just isn't him. But out in the woods he doesn't have to worry about that. He puts away his Ipod and turns off his phone. He's able to do his own thing, test his own limits, and there are no popularity contests.I talk a lot about how being outside positively effects my kids, but I've been learning so much about myself too. I've never been what anyone would describe as 'outdoorsy' but I'm really starting to love spending chunks of time lost in nature with my family. I don't have to think or worry, there are no distractions and we can all just be.
I love the saying of Peggy's husband, "Nature is my church and my soul couldn't live without it."*In this last photo we were trying to get a shot similar to the one that was my previous header, but sadly the path we were on when Jay had taken that shot has been washed away, which you can see in the lower right hand corner. Oh well, it was a good lesson about erosion.

13 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

These photo's are breathtaking Tammie!!

The 2nd one looks like something out of a book.

I so understand the feeling you have in nature. We feel that way too. Especially for us at the lake. It's Zen like for us.

I am so glad you have your own piece of nirvana in your new home.

Daphne said...

Ok, seriously you guys need to go to Silver Creek Falls.

Lia said...

That park is gorgeous. My family would love to go there.

We feel the same way about nature. We used to dedicate Sunday mornings to outdoor adventures, as our version of church- nothing religious, just hanging out with nature. We haven't been doing it lately, but I would like to get back to it.

Dani said...

Man, oh man. That is amazing.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I thinnk your header is great! I love nature shots and you did a great job capturing the raw beauty. Those trees look a little frightening.

And about kids and popularity. My kids aren't really athletes, but they found that team spirit running cross-country. Usually, they finish almost last -- but they have a lot of fun on the bus rides and just being a part of something. If you boy is interested in joining something, I would recommend that type of team. It's individual enough and yet there is the team atmosphere. Just a thought.

The WoodLand School said...

Everything looks so incredibly LUSH! The tall trees, the moss, the damp ferns ... ahhhhh!

Dysfunctional Mom said...

Very pretty pictures. I have those same feelings about nature. Before I found a 'church home', I would go to one of the parks here and just read and meditate.
I see more deer around here in winter than any other time. Weird.

Carla said...

I'm jealous. We live in the prairie and it's an hour + drive anywhere scenic and it's cold.
Glad you can have those times for your family.

victoria said...

Just plain great! So beautiful! And I love what you said about being outside. My entire mood changes the second I walk out the door. I just got in from a long walk with the baby ... even walking through the neighborhood looking at rows of houses makes me feel good.

Also, it's great isn't it? This weather out west. North Carolina is a mess. Last year we couldn't get the temp higher than 52 in the log home. Uhg! Looks like this year is even worse. Thank God we got out of there!!!!

Funcky Love said...

The forest is so beautiful!

Wonderful photos!

hester said...

Gorgeous photos and can there be many better things to do with your family than hang out in nature? Em and I are inspired by this post to find ourselves a big beautiful mossy forest to wander about it ASAP.

I love Peggy's husband's quote. I think it could really take off - posters, teatowels, coffee mugs etc.

just me said...

so came across your blog by hitting the "next blog" button on the top! you have a great storytelling ability, humor, and interesting! found myself looking around for awhile and reading your funny stories!! heading to seaside in march, can't wait i love oregon!

Run Lori Run said...

Makes me realize I haven't been outside in a loooooooong time.