Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Zippered Pouch

This past Sunday was one of those days where I didn't have anything that I had to do. Jay was out golfing, the kids were entertaining themselves. Mostly. (Or maybe I was just blocking out the fighting and yelling.) Anyway, I decided to take a few minutes to myself to see if I could get over my fear of zipper attachment.

So I found an online tutorial, chose some ugly fabric and the ugliest zipper from my stash (seriously, it was the color of a nipple), and I set to work. The end result was bad news. The pouch itself was oddly shaped and bulky and the zipper was crooked and weird looking, probably because I was too lazy to attach my zipper foot. Plus, I didn't really understand the tutorial I was following so I made some mistakes along the way. In the end, the pouch was just wrong on so many levels.

Now normally when I have a failure of such massive proportions, I'm not motivated to make another attempt for quite some time. But I had been thinking about my pouch failure all night and I was ready for another go at it.

On Monday I chose some new fabric, a prettier zipper, and a different tutorial. I worked on it, on and off, all day long.

Around 8:00 PM, I had this:
Woo-Hoo!

The Details:

*If that bird looks familiar, I slapped a similar one on a purse last summer.

*I looked at a lot of different tutorials before finally having luck with this one over at make it perfect, and if you are anxious to shake your fear of zippers, I highly recommend it. Everything is explained clearly and she backs it all up with the always helpful pictures.

*The actual construction of the pouch took until about two in the afternoon, but the bead work and embroidery took another six hours. I have a new found appreciation for anyone who chooses to sew beads onto anything. It's tedious and time consuming.

*Everything used was already in my stash, which is so exciting to be able to bust through a bunch of different stuff in one afternoon. The outer fabric came from Goodwill, the bird fabric came from Ikea, and the fabric used for the lining used to be my curtains on my house back in Gainesville. The zipper was passed on to me by Kashoan and the beads came from Liesl. I love how every little part of this bag has its own history.

Now that I've conquered my fear of zippers, next up world domination. That's the next logical step, right?

13 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Exactly in that order!

The WoodLand School said...

Look at you go!

I just love the bead-and-embroidery embellishments ... they're the perfect touch!

PS: Where on earth would one acquire a nipple-colored zipper??

veronica said...

Love it!

Also: is it snowing up there? How did Jay manage to go golfing?

Maria Rose said...

Awesome! I too fear the zipper. I had one success early on and I have no idea how it happened. Since then I have been resting on my laurels, even though I really don't know zipper science at all!

Tammie said...

veronica: no snow here since the one snow day about a month or two ago. maybe tomorrow though. hopefully. :)

Dysfunctional Mom said...

I love it! You almost make me wish I could sew. But not enough to actually learn or anything.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say 'the color of a nipple'. I am going to have to work that into a conversation somehow.

Lia said...

Impressive. I, too, have a slight fear of zippers. And buttonholes. Partially because of the foot, which I think I have, but am not certain. Attempting both of these have been on my list of To Dos for quite some time.

That fancy bird is very cute!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I have zipper phobia too! Believe it or not, I've never sewed one. You did it! Maybe there's hope for me.

Pain SUX said...

Blocking out the fighting and yelling...hmmm, that sounds really, REALLY familiar :)

And great job on the zipper, btw.

~Steph
http://fortheluvofsanity.blogspot.com

Jessie @ Luna Pacifica said...

OMG T, that is way cute! I love it! I can't do a zipper to save my life!

Run Lori Run said...

I have yet to conquer my fear of zippers. Maybe one day... Cute bag!

Dani said...

Go you! It looks great. And the bead work might be time consuming, but the results are worth it.

Zippers are a tad scary. But the more you do them the easier they get and the better they look. I made 14 zip pouches one Xmas. I'd never sewn a zipper until that point. You could say I got over any fears.

I have one burning question: is the tampon still there?

Nowheymama said...

SO pretty!