Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Six

This past Sunday, my moon faced baby girl turned six.As I've mentioned here before, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the extravagant nature of children's birthday parties (especially children this young), so it was a very quiet party-if you can even call it that-at home. Just the four of us and the crazy six layer cake.A game of Beat the Parents was played:A few small presents were opened:(Notice the left-over-from-Christmas gift wrap. I am so lazy about that type of thing.)A candle was blown. Eventually.:And the cake was cut: A Few Thoughts:

*Even though I tried to keep things low key, the girl still got way too overstimulated and hopped up on sugar and had numerous crying meltdowns before the day was over. What is it about young children's birthday parties? Someone always ends up in tears. I really just think small kidlets can't handle this much attention being thrust on them. We finally decided to get her out of the house and she chose a trip to IKEA so she could play in the play area.

*Despite the fact that a lot of you shared my sentiments about birthday parties, I still feel a bit like the birthday grinch so I want to make it clear that I'm not anti-party. But I admit that I may be anti-party for kids this young. I can't wait to throw a party for my girl, but I want it to be at a time when her friendships are based more on love of each other and shared mutual interests. (Did you read about Courtney's birthday party for her girl? I love it!) Right now my girl's friendships are basically based on convenience, who's in her class, who lives nearby, who we walk home from school with, etc. Realistically speaking, six is not the age when lasting friendships are made.

*In retrospect, a six layer cake may have been too big for our little family. Jay took a bunch to work and I still have a ton here at home. And I'm sick of looking at it.

*About the cake: It wasn't made from scratch, I had plenty of help from Duncan Hines. But it's still a lot of work and a lot of ingredients. Nine eggs people. NINE EGGS! Five tubs of frosting. And really, had I wanted to be persnickety I could have used another tub because it was a bit thin in spots. Anyway, I started baking the cake early. Two layers on Thursday, two on Friday, and two on Saturday. I wrapped each individual layer in saran wrap and stored them in the fridge until I assembled it all on Sunday. I highly recommend this method because I didn't have to spend all day baking. Of course it did lose that fresh from the oven warmth, but I think the rainbow cake is more about visual appeal anyway.

16 comments:

veronica said...

Love the cake! Cannot believe the girl is 6. I think she was AJ's age when we first met. CRAZY!

I think parties get harder as the kids get older. Look at the media blitz on Sweet 16's! Have you watched My Super Sweet 16 on MTV? Also, depending on culture, 15 or 16 or even 18 are big deals. Our families are already pressuring us to have a Sweet 16 party for MJ. We will not submit to peer pressure!

Keep it simple, and I think the party expectations will be all good in the future :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

When I was young that cake would have thrilled me - the rainbow colors!!

mandy said...

holy wow, i LOVE LOVE LOVE the cake.

i love cozy home kid parties. that's what mostly what my brother and i had. i think it made the 'big' parties that much more memorable. my nieces have the big parties that make me queasy, my brother should be using that money for their college account. it's crazy.

did i mention, I LOVE THAT CAKE!!!

Carla said...

What an awesome cake - I'm sure if I tried something like that it would fall over! I take after my grandpa and love a party but I totally agree with there being limits.

I don't think you are a party grinch at all! I'd say you pulled off a pretty good one.

Daphne said...

Wow, that cake is impressive! Really beautiful, although that's a lot of cake... parties are hard for everyone when little kids are little. I think the best ones are when you either just keep it with family and a simple outing or take everyone to a cheap activity and let them all run it out while playing. Sounds like you had a nice day in spite of a few over-stimulated tears.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

She's six? Wow...I think I missed a year. I was impressed with the cake when the candle was on top but when I saw the rainbow layers I dropped my jaw.

Dysfunctional Mom said...

Aw, Happy Birthday to her! I love that cake.
We're having a tea party for Elayna's birthday later this month. Just a few little girls here at the house and a fancy little tea!

Lia said...

That cake rocks. So very Punky Brewster. I like home parties, too, but I HATE cleaning for them and after them, which would be why I try to have them somewhere else, like the park. I think your girl's party was perfect. And my goodness, she was a cute baby!

Jessie @Luna Pacifica said...

T, I love the cake!

Check out this post. It made me laugh!

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/10/god-of-cake.html

<3 J

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Definitely lots of visual appeal going on. And don't worry about the Christmas wrapping paper....I've used it in July (the other option is newspaper). Enjoy six -- 'cuz let me tell you, 17 is no picnic!

Dani said...

We only do small parties. The Boy had a pirate party for his 6th. I told him he could invite 3 buddies over and they dressed up like pirates and chased each other with fake swords. We played a game, did a small craft, and they ate a cupcake. It was the most elaborate I've ever done. The next year we went to the slot car track with a couple of friends. Last year he invited one friend over for a sleep-over and a movie at the theater. All were pretty low key.

The Girl gets the shaft. We share a birthday...so we usually go out for Mexican food so I can have a couple of margaritas. Then we come home and have cake and open presents. We have a summer birthday. Summer birthdays always get the short end of the stick.

I am 100% in agreement with you on the party craziness.

And that cake rules.

Dani said...

Oh...duh!

Happy birthday to your girl!!!!!! Woot!

Run Lori Run said...

That cake is cool! But I agree with you about parties for kids this age. The less action the better, the fewer people the better. I made the mistake of hosting a HUMONGOUS party for my daughter's THIRD birthday and it was a disaster. I had no time to visit with people and she was maxed out and melting within an hour. I still have nightmares.

Maria Rose said...

Looks like the day was perfect, well minus the crying meltdown parts.

hester said...

Happy Birthday to The Girl! And what an outstanding cake. We have a rainbow obsession in our house so may have to try and make one.

Mari said...

John and I are really impressed with the 6-layer rainbow cake!