Thursday, January 13, 2011

Qwirkle

One of the girl's holiday gifts was the game Qwirkle. The game is simple enough to play, the basic rules being that you take turns putting down one or more tiles, matching colors and shapes to create columns, getting points for each row you make. At the end of the game, the player with the most points wins.The girl likes the game. The boy tolerates it. Jay and I? LOVE IT.

There is no denying we are big time nerds around here. And not the cool, hipster kind of nerd either. More like the let's-have-a-week-long-Scrabble-tournament kind of nerd. Or, the let's-play-Life-and-build-elaborate-fantasies kind of nerd. (Whenever we play Life, my pretend husband is always Alec Baldwin, Jay's pretend wife is Scarlett Johannson. This type of thing is totally normal, right?) But we have taken our love of Qwirkle to a whole new level. Not only have Jay and I literally played this game everyday since Christmas, but some days I think it's the highlight of the day. It's gotten to the point where we send each other texts that say things such as, "I'm going to Qwirk you so hard tonight" or "Let's Qwirk three times tonight. Right on the dinner table. In front of the kids."

So yeah, the game is fun.

*Sleeping old lady cat not included nor necessary for fun game play, but it's a nice touch. Yeah, we're also the let's-take-pictures-of-the-cat kind of nerds. Seriously, she has entire photo albums devoted to her.

12 comments:

beki said...

this post makes me smile :)

Daphne said...

I love this. I love that the entire family, cat included, love the game! When you lose, does the winner (or loser?) get to say, "Quirk you!!"?

Maria Rose said...

Ha! I totally want to Qwirk my hubby!

Jessie at Luna Pacifica said...

Everything about this makes me smile. I especially love the texting.

Lia said...

Love the cat in the lid. Love the idea of "Quirk you." LOVE playing games and drinking wine.

I wish my husband would sit his hyper ass down more often and play a game and drink some wine with me. He only plays if we're having a game night or something. Although, he is pretty much always down for Jenga.

Tracy G said...

Have you guys played Bananagrams? It is a fun twist on Scrabble! If you haven't tried it yet, I know you will love it!

Did I miss the finale of "Tampon-gate"?? What happened?

kraftykash said...

Text Jay "get your quirk on" insted of tht song get your freak on.Heard of it? LOL This post is hilarious!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You are hilarious. I think my husband has the Dutch version of this game....I'm going to dig it out of the basement to see if anyone wants to qwirkle with me.

Stephanie Meade Gresham said...

i have an old lady dog. she won't fit in a qwirkle box. *sigh

Dani said...

One of your best posts, Tammie.

I'm not quirkin' with you either.

Theresa said...

That is awesome. I bet the hubs and I would also love this game. I'll have to see if I can find it

Run Lori Run said...

Yep, my cat was sleeping in a shoe box earlier today and my husband and I kept asking ourselves, why does this amuse us so much? Glad we are not alone. :)