Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pardon My Absence

Holy crap has it really been a week since my last post? At first I thought that I could blame my lack of motivation on Mercury being in retrograde (see what you started Peggy??!!), but sadly that isn't true. I've wanted to blog, but life has just caught up with me. In the past week I've volunteered at the girl's school, went to a play date, then the boy got sick, and now the girl is home sick. (I love my daughter dearly but she's a total drama queen pain in the ass when she's sick. Right now, she's laying on the couch just a few feet away from me and I'm trying to be really quiet in the hopes that she'll forget I'm here and stop complaining at me.) Plus, we've had a few other minor life annoyances, nothing major, but enough to throw me out of whack for a few days. Sigh. I'll survive. But for now, here are a few things on my mind:

*Portlandia, a show about my new home, airs tomorrow on IFC and I'm a bit geeked about it. There has been so much buzz around town surrounding the whole thing. Most everyone is thrilled but the hipsters seem somewhat upset that their eccentricities are being picked on. Damn hipsters. (Don't know exactly what Portlandia is about? Check this out.)

*I have a few crochet projects I've been keeping myself busy with and then I saw this post (and this one) by Mandy and now I must crochet a rag rug. Last night I started the process by cutting into my thrifted sheet stash. Hopefully I'll have something to share soon. Have any of you ever made a rag rug? If so, any words of advice?

*Yesterday I bought this small vintage suitcase at Goodwill.

With space being so limited around here, I'm constantly searching for new ways to store/hide the kids (mainly the girl's) toys. So much of her toy collection seems to consist of weird, random junk that I don't recall buying but always has a way of showing up. Plus, it's usually crap I don't want to look at. A pretty suitcase solves that problem nicely. Now I only need about ten more.

*Last week Jessie sent me a jar of Pumpkin Glow body scrub by Bella Lucce and it's now my new favorite body scrub because the smell is just amazing. I know pumpkin season is pretty much over, but I had to go out and buy the stuff for pumpkin bread because every time I took a shower I would get a craving.

Well, I suppose I should go tend to the ailing princess (*rolls eyes). Hopefully I'll be back in a few days with a book review or two, because oh yes, I've still found time to read.

17 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Love the rag rugs!

Your description of your daughter while sick sounds like my husband!

Not Hannah said...

We've been having the opposite problem. Whatever the case, glad to see you! (Waves enthusiastically--and quietly...)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Nothing worse than sick kids. Sorry you are all having suffer through that. And YES! I love Mandy's rug. I want one too. Mine would have to be crocheted, of course.

PS. I used to sneak junky kid toys out with the trash quite regularly. It keeps the clutter down. Just play dumb.

kraftykash said...

There you are! I'm so glad that you bopped in to see us. Sick kids drive me bonkers, sick husbands are worse. Cute suitcase!

Jessie at Luna Pacifica said...

You did it! You beat me! I am still working on a post. Might get it published sometime today. (It's a series!)

I too have a sicky girl. She complains about the tea I make her, but she's relatively quiet. Nothing worse than a whiney and sick child.

I'm so glad you like the scrub! It does smell amazing! That line has an accompanying facial masque (it's cooler because it has a QU in the name) that smells just like like pumpkin pie. Don't judge me... but I've tasted the masque. I swear it TASTES like pumpkin pie.

Anyways, hope the girl feels better soon. Hope all annoyances disipate soon.

Thanks for the link love.
<3 J

Jessie at Luna Pacifica said...

Ps. Portlandia is hilarious.

Tammie said...

peggy: shes soooo dramatic. i already fear the teen years.

not hannah: waves back. :)

jodi: im so glad you said that because i do that and ive started doing it more often. theres just no room for all the junk that kids acquire!

kash: i agree. and thank you!

jessie: yep, lucys complaining about the tea too. i keep telling her its "medicine tea" and she just keeps asking for "just medicine." fine whatever. and im not judging you because if i could find a way to taste the body scrub and have it appear to be an accident, id totally do it.
hopefully, your blog post will be more interesting. mine feels thrown together. ;)

Jessie at Luna Pacifica said...

Done!

Anonymous said...

I caught a clip of Portlandia on Hulu and found it hilarious! I've never been to Oregon but I live in New England and there are a few communities/towns that remind me of this around here...........also I would have wrestled you for that suitcase had we seen it at the same time. When my daughter is sick it drives me into the ground, today driving home from dance class she anounced that two girls were absent due to lice. I AM NOT GOING THROUGH THAT AGAIN!!

Tammie said...

anon: my daughters hair is down to her mid back, i have no qualms about chopping it all off if she ever gets lice. i remember when I had lice as a kid, it was a nightmare. i hope you stay nit free!!!

Lia said...

Pumpkin bread is never out of season and that suitcase is amazing.

Daphne said...

We missed you! I love that suitcase, what a great idea. I was also thinking it would make an excellent fabric/craft case...

The WoodLand School said...

So sorry to hear that illness and annoyances kept you away ... I just assumed you and Jay were enjoying endless games of Qwirkle :-)

Hope everyone's on the mend soon!

Maria Rose said...

I have been working on a rag rug as well! No advice though. Also, Ikeep a lot of my fabric stored in suitcases. Someday, when I am not so lazy, I plan to use luggage tags to tell me what is inside.

Run Lori Run said...

I.
LOVE.
THAT.
SUITCASE.

And hell ya, I'm looking forward to Portlandia.

Your description of your sick daughter rings soooooooo true. My daughter is the same way and it drives me nuts.

mandy said...

i really hope you dig this rag rug making.
drooling over your suitcase find.
and porlandia, i laughed out loud when they played a clip on npr this morning, something like 'see it was a sad little tote bag now it has a bird on it, now it's art.' effing hilarious and perfect.

Dani said...

You and I are leading parallel lives.

I've been so behind in everything. My Google Reader has become a source of high anxiety, not to mention my memory card on my camera.