Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Multnomah Falls

This past Monday we went to Multnomah Falls. This short trip had been on my to-do list since moving here, I'm not sure what took us so long. It's not a far drive, only about 30 minutes, and any aggravation caused by children bickering in the back seat is well worth it.
I'm still so in awe of the intense, lush beauty that surrounds me. I'm amazed and overjoyed that I live in a place where I'm close to the city but yet still have direct access to such lovely, more natural scenes.
Such a huge part of my life feels as if it's been completed this past year. I still can't believe I'm finally where I want to be. I know it may seem as if I'm making an unnecessarily big deal about all this, but I was so unhappy in Florida.Lately I've actually been having a reoccurring nightmare in which, for whatever reason, I have to move back to Florida. I wake up feeling so stressed out and anxious, but then I realize it was all a nightmare.
Whatever negative things happen in my life now, I'm so reassured by my surroundings. And believe me, there are still many negative things in my life. Problems didn't just magically disappear simply because we moved across the country. There are still things that aren't ideal.

But my surroundings are no longer one of those things.
I know I've mentioned this before and you're probably sick of me going on about it, but I really can't stress enough the importance of living in a place you love, even if it means making sacrifices.When the 'free' things in your life, like a local park or the view from your window, bring you so much happiness, it's much easier to not stress about the other things.

For this coming year, I wish all of you the strength and faith in your own abilities to get to a place where you can bloom. And if you're there already, consider yourself lucky.(This last photo was taken after looking at the falls when we decided to hike up the mountain a bit. We didn't make it real far. It's now a family goal to make it to the top of the mountain.)

11 comments:

Carla said...

Beautiful pictures Tammi! Environment plays such a huge part in our mood and I'm glad your move is treating you so well.

Jessie said...

Great pictures T! I love the heart shaped pool at the bottom of the falls.

Your words really hit home with me. I feel the same way about my surroundings. When life gets hard, I can at least look out my window and see Mt. Baker covered in snow and the luscious Cascade Mountain Range in which it lives.

I am not sick of you talking about your surroundings. If you don't mind me saying so, I think you should give yourself permission to talk as much as you like about being happy where you are right now. You are in the most amazing place in the world! Allow yourself to revel in that dream you accomplished with your family! Take pictures, collect rocks, go on journeys and WRITE about it.

I too am in love with this area of the world. I've been here 28 years and I haven't grown tired of the view. My hope for you is that you never again tire of your surroundings.

Much love and greenery,
J

Tammie said...

carla: thank you!

jessie: thank you! and i was wondering if anyone would notice the heart shaped pool at the bottom. i myself didnt even notice it until i was editing the photos.

The WoodLand School said...

I adore these photos -- and I'm just so happy that you're in a place you love. It *does* make all the difference! I'm hoping to make it to Oregon next summer ... looks like your blog will be a helpful travel guide! :-)

lieslmade said...

So true! I'm very sensitive to my surroundings as well.
Glad you're happier where you're at. It sure is beautiful!

Daphne said...

One of my favorite places in the ENTIRE WORLD. It's worth it to hike to the top and look out over the platform. Oh, I love it there so much. I'm so glad you got to go!!

hester said...

This is such a lovely post, Tammie, and I am so glad you are happy. You made it happen! It looks like a really wonderful place to be.

Dani said...

Wow.

Just, wow.

I agree. One day, we will live in Austin on the lake with a big vegetable garden and a porch swing. It will happen.

Tammie said...

dani: im sure it will happen. and because i know you love your house so much, i hope you find a way to pick it up and take it with you. :)

Dawn said...

"The Boy" is getting to look so darn grown up.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You definitely found your place. Really, there's no dress rehearsal for life so you might as well get it right in the first place. You needed a change and you grabbed the chance. Good for you.

Your photos are really beautiful. Enjoy 2011.