Thursday, December 9, 2010

Listing

Melting:: Chocolate for peppermint bark.There's a bake sale at the girl's school, plus the teachers are getting jars of this, so I've been busy making a few batches. There are so many good peppermint bark recipes floating around out there and I always plan to try them, but when it comes down to it I stick with this recipe by that Queen of Evil Paula Deen. It's just so easy. (As a side note, if you ever find yourself saddled with a few dozen extra Krispy Kreme donuts, then you can make Paula's Bread Pudding. Lordy.)

Anxiously Awaiting:: The Santaland Diaries. Jay and I are having a date night next week and we're seeing the show based on the David Sedaris book. I bought a new dress and am excited to go out.

Drinking:: Homemade chai. I also made a separate batch, replacing all the spices with a few heaping shakes of pumpkin pie spice. Yum.

Creating:: Snowflakes!
After watching this video about how to make perfect snowflakes, I'm obsessed with the process. I only wish I had a kid to do it with me. The boy is too old ("cool") and the girl is too young to wield scissors big enough to cut through the many folds of paper. I gave her a shot at it but I kept having visions of trips to the ER with a baggie full of ice and a finger. So yeah, it's just me sitting around like a dork making snowflakes.

Reading:: Nothing at the moment! Can you believe it? Although I do have some library books needing to be picked up. I just finished Confessions of a Teenage Jesus Jerk, which was good. (Review to come soon.)

Wanting:: Dani's pompom garland. Must.Go.Buy.Pompoms.

What are you up to?

10 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I used to make snowflakes from such an itty bitty age. Guess you don't do that much in florida. We even made them in art class in elementary school. Not fancy like yours but even with kid scissors we made them and put on glitter and cotton to make it look like snow. What a great memory - thanks.

I have never seen Santaland Diaries but I listen to it each and every year on NPR. (david does the reading)

I have had Paula Deen's peppermint bark. Yum yum. I got it as a gift 2yrs ago. I don't normally care for such things but honest to butter that woman makes some mean desserts! Guess that is why she isn't thin.

Tammie said...

i really pick on paula a lot but she is my go to gal when i need a dessert recipe. just not my go to gal when i need a health food recipe.

Lia said...

Your jars of bark are quite beautiful. I'll be making some on Sunday. I've never been all that into making snowflakes for some reason, but maybe I should give them another try. Your snowflakes are also quite beautiful.

mandy said...

Holy Crow I officially love Paula Dean even more, bread pudding made with donuts...that is ridiculous and fabulous.
Your peppermint bark looks super. I hope you have a great date, wearing a dress always feels so fun and fancy on a date.
Oh man, I totally love making snowflakes, I should get started on some soon. Your littlest one may be too old for this but last year Bayliss had a blast gluing the little bits of left over pieces onto pieces of dark paper with a gluestick. I am totally into making snowflakes too.

Veronica said...

Snow flakes are so much fun! MJ and i used to make them during the winter time in the old house.

On another note, AJ had been watching wonder pets. MJ says the show reminds her of your girl and playing video games at your house with your boy.

Speaking of video games, i think it's kind of funny that your boy and my husband are Black Ops buddies.

Hope you are enjoying the holiday season!

Dani said...

I like your list.

The bark looks great, I want a pic of the dress, and your snowflakes are beautiful!!!

If you would like your girl to join you, try coffee filters for hers. They aren't as sturdy, but she will be able to cut through all layers without fear of major injury. That's what I use with my crew at school.

Get you some pom poms! I made another garland in about half an hour for that kitchen doorway last night. It is a quick project.

daphne said...

I am so far behind on holiday things this year. But I love looking at everyone's projects! wish I had a handful of that bark right now...

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You are so into the season. I'm sitting here waiting for tree-decorating inspiration. The daughter is out and about, that leaves me and Jeremy....We're going to tackle it ourselves, I guess.

Peppermint bark is one of the best sweets ever invented. Love it.

Run Lori Run said...

I read bits of Santaland Diaries every Christmas and it never gets old. We were going to see the play too but decided to go to Hawaii instead. :)

I love Dani's garland too. Maybe next year....

More book reviews, woman!

craftytammie said...

mmm, peppermint bark! i should try that recipe!

i made a bunch of snowflakes a few years ago - by myself, and my husband thought i was crazy. i stuck them on all our windows along the front of our house.

be careful what you wish for - i am learning crafting with kids isn't as much fun as i imagined. or maybe it's just crafting with BOYS, me and the girl have fun together.