Monday, December 6, 2010

Lights

Last Friday we checked the boy out of school early so we could have some much needed family time. Lately, there's been a difficult dynamic happening between Jay and I and the children. We want to be out doing things with them but the sibling bickering has reached such a level that we can't stand to be around them too much. But, we keep trying with the hopes that one day we'll get in the car and there will be no fighting, grumbling, or complaining.

After a quick dinner we went to Pioneer Place Mall and did a bit of shopping, mostly of the window variety. There is just something about "city shopping" that is so much fun. I know the tights that I get at the J.Crew in the city are the same as the ones at the J.Crew in the suburbs, but the buying process is much more exciting.

Looking out over the city from the sky bridge that connects the two sides of the mall:(I love how you can see the ever-so-faint reflections of me and the girl.)

Mall entertainment in the form of Christmas Carolers:How cute are they? I felt weird taking their picture so Jay snapped a few for me, reasoning that these theatrical types probably don't mind their picture being taken.

After the mall we drove out to the Portland International Raceway to see the Winter Wonderland Light Show. Every year a huge light display is erected along the racetrack and for a small fee you can drive your car around the track at a leisurely pace and view it all.

There were various themes along the track, such as:

Toys:

Holidays under the sea:Sports:
This one, along with a few of the other displays, was fully animated. The player on the right kicked the ball to the goalie but it would repeatedly slip right through his hands.

My favorite part of the show was the lights that represented the Twelve Days of Christmas:

Seven swans a-swimming:Nine ladies dancing:Eleven lords a-leaping:
Although the night wasn't perfect and the kids pissed me off a few times, we mostly had a good time. I know siblings are always going to argue but my hope is that it continues to die down to a much more tolerable level soon or else the children will never leave the house other than to go to school.

8 comments:

Dysfunctional Mom said...

My oldest two used to argue SO much, so badly. I seriously thought they hated each other and always would. But now, for the most part, they actually get along. It's almost scarey.
The youngest two don't argue like the older ones did, but they bicker over completely stupid things, and they constantly one-up each other, which I LOATHE. I threaten to duct-tape their mouths shut, and sometimes it sounds like such an awesome plan.
I love the Christmas lights pics!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh Tammie this looks wonderful.
I love the whole light show/festival.

You know I too think sometimes shopping "downtown" has an energy that the suburban mall can lack. Why is that?

I still haven't stop fighting with my younger sister. Good luck with that one. :-)

Daphne said...

Sounds like a fun holiday-y weekend. I love Pioneer Place! It's one of the prettiest city malls. City shopping is way more fun during the holidays. Unless you *have* to go shopping, in which case it's not fun at all.

Maria Rose said...

Sorry about the arguing, but glad you had a fun time. Seems like you are really at home in OR!

Jessie said...

Lovely lights!!! Sounds like a good time.

I feel you on the sibling bickering. Ryan and I are literally being drove into separate rooms to get away from their constant fighting and nit picking. Its embarrassing when they fight at our friend's houses. (Their kids just stand there in amazement.) I'm seriously looking into parenting classes.

Anyways, the point is, you're not alone! :-)

Dani said...

The Offspring have been driving us a bit nuts as well. The threat of calling Santa no longer works on The Boy like it used to.

Now I threated to throw out the Christmas candy.

I liked your day. Maybe you can come check me out of school. I won't be as asshat.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Siblings fighting? Welcome to my world. My kids have fought long and hard for many a year. It actually only died down when Colin went off to college -- so I guess it's only logistics that's keeping the peace in my house.

hester said...

The only comfort I can think of when my two bicker is "It's normal" and at least they do have a sibling which does have positive aspects as well. But...yep....it's very very wearing. Sometimes I resort to "If you two keep fighting, I'll turn off the TV". Such great parenting!