Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Tree

Now I know that by a lot of standards it's a bit early for Christmas Tree shopping, but for us, this past Saturday was the perfect day. Jay has a few busy weeks coming up. His store is getting remodeled and he'll be working overnights all of this week, then he has to work Thanksgiving until about three in the morning, so we really need to take advantage of family time where we can find it. Plus, the weather this weekend was cold and drippy and put us in the perfect mood for sloshing around the tree farm.

We went to Lee's Farm, which is this great family farm not far from our apartment.
It didn't take us long to find the perfect tree. One that was nice and full, yet not too tall. Stump throwing commenced while waiting for someone to come and cut our tree: The man with the saw soon arrived:
The tree is then carried off to be shook out and tied to our car:While we were waiting we ate pumpkin donuts (!!!) and hung out with a few farm animals: As many of you know, this is my family's first *real* Christmas. (Or you may not have known that. Or you may have known but forgot. Either way, if you want to read more about that, this post and this post are good places to start.) Even though it's been a long time since I've actually considered myself one of Jehovah's Witnesses, the celebration of most holidays has never really been high on my list and Jay is so easy going that he's never cared one way or another. Plus, since I have family members that are still Witnesses, it was hard to really celebrate anything in any kind of overt manner because it would inevitably start up a discussion that no one really wanted to have. Simply put, it was easiest just to avoid the whole thing.

But now, here we are, thousands of miles away from my whole messy, sad past and it seems like a great time to start doing certain things. Let the holiday season begin.

15 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Wow. A tree already. It must be true then, the holidays are here. Your tree-cutting adventure looks like a good time. Farm animals are always a bonus. We're slow on the get-go around here, but your festival photo is a great mood-setter.

Carla said...

I love live Christmas trees! We haven't had one in years - Trevor won't let me. (fire hazard, messy etc) We have a fantastic fake one but Trevor, again, won't let me put it up until at least December 1!
Your tree looks lovely I hope you are able to really get into and enjoy this Christmas season.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Your tree is beautiful.
I must admit that the 1st place my mind went was - wow she has a lot of ornaments for never having a tree before. :-)

Tammie said...

peggy: some were bought new but most are from thrift stores, garage sales, and goodwill.

Daphne said...

Wow, it looks soooo pretty! It's absolutely gorgeous. I LOVE sitting by the light of the tree and reading. So peaceful. Enjoy! What's nice about starting this holiday at this point in your life is that you get to decide exactly what you want to do and what you don't care about. My essentials are: tree, gingerbread, some handmade gifts and one drive around to look at holiday lights. I don't care about the rest of it.

Jessie said...

Ooo! I am excited for you! You get to make all new traditions!

I'm jealous that you got your tree already!

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Oh, I love that you have a tree now--it's so big and pretty!

Growing up we always had a fake tree. I never had a real tree until I was with Donnie (my nice Jewish guy). Enjoy and like Jessie said..you get to make all new traditions!

Crystal Escobar said...

Oh that is awesome! I've never done that before, we just have a fake tree we use every year. Those pumpkin donuts sound SO yummy!!!!
By the way, I'm brand new to your blog and just became a follower :) I look forward to getting to know you better.

Mandy said...

what a beautiful tree!
I LOVE christmas trees so much, hmmn, maybe we should go ahead and get one.

Dani said...

I'm glad you are celebrating this year. The tree alone is worth it.

We are moving up our tree decorating by one week. The day after Thanksgiving...up it goes.

Dang. Panic just set in.

hester said...

That is just the most beautiful tree! I wish we had a real one but make do with a pretty nice pretend one. I took the dog to the park on Sunday and when I returned the tree was up!

Have a wonderful time doing Christmas your way, Tammie.

Tammie said...

thank you all so much for your kind, sweet comments. youre the best!

Theresa said...

Ok, I feel like such a jerk now! I'm behind on my reading, so my question about whether or not you do much for christmas? just disregard. >.< In other news, I'm so excited to see you putting up a tree!! If you are ok with it, email me your addy so I can send you a card! (green_woman21@yahoo.com)

victoria said...

I knew about JW but for some reason thought you were all celebrating Christmas every year! Wow, that's amazing. Well, congratulations! I think it will be fun for the kids. It doesn't have to be overly emotionally complicated (you know, like I make everything in my freaking life).

Your tree is awesome. I love it. It's the way I like mine, average in height and super full.

I've gone years without having trees. But now, will definitely continue having one every year with kids. They can be a big pain in the butt, but I've always had live trees as an adult. We weren't allowed as children to have them and were stuck with a fake one. that just seemed weird to me, even as a child.

I'm a freak with mine. The entire time it's up I'm switching shit around. It has to be perfectly balanced. Lights and ornaments must all go in a perfect spot so the tree looks, well, perfect. I have issues. I do color coordinate the balls and lights. Like, some years I do red and silver (what I did last year and will again this year) and white lights. a few years ago I did blue and white with blue and white lights. that was a pretty one. The ornaments other than balls are random. You know, gifts or little things like you have found from all over and collected over time.

Merry Christmas early! ;-))

Lia said...

I LOVE your tree! It's beautiful! We always have a fake one, because we're never actually here for Christmas. But I do love them. The last real one we had was ten years ago when Ben was a baby.

I like to think of our tree as old fashioned. It's basically a bunch of random, colorful goodness. Many of our ornaments are super old from my great grandmother and great-great aunt. Many are handmade from when I was a kid or by own boys. And I really do not like themed or one color palette trees. I like em colorful and jumbled- jam packed with interesting things to look at. Just like yours!