Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Random Thoughts

*I haven't been here much lately. And by "here" I mean the internet in general. Over the weekend I barely used the computer at all, which is unheard of for me. I'm usually addicted to checking my email or reading blogs, but I've been feeling myself getting overstimulated again. Plus, I've been spending a lot of time with the kids, who appear to be taking turns getting on my last nerve. It's hard to spend time on the computer when you're constantly breaking up fights over who gets to eat the last Go-Gurt. It's totally bad timing on their part because the weather is cold and gloomy and I want to stay home, sit by the tree, play games, and drink wine/coffee/tea/irish cream, but yet I don't want to be home if it means occupying the same space as two bickering asshats. (Is it wrong to refer to your children as asshats? I don't care. I do it here so that I don't do it to their faces.)

*It's recently come to my attention that I really don't like turkey. I've never loved it, but I could deal with it because I knew it would only show up once a year. But I think we're breaking up now. Every year I try to convince the family to do Thanksgiving Tofurkey style, but now I don't even want that. I don't want a turkey or anything that is supposed to even slightly resemble a turkey. I think next year we'll be doing a smaller bird for Jay and the boy and I'll just load up on sides the way the girl does.

*Carla has been doing some really interesting posts about her Mennonite faith. I admit to previously being hopelessly clueless about Mennonites so I'm finding it all very fascinating. (You can find posts here and here.)

*Has anyone been watching the show Downsized on the WE network? Long story short, it's a reality show about a family of nine (two adults, seven kids) who went from being fairly wealthy to living below the poverty level when the economy tanked. I don't normally get worked up about a TV show, especially a reality show, but this one has deeply affected me. In one of the first episodes I watched, one of the teenage daughters went to the store to get a few grocery items and was given the food stamp card to pay for it all. After everything was rung up, she was told she only had $2 available on the card, so she had to put all of her items back and left with only a packet of gravy mix. I was bawling like a baby while watching this. I would be mortified if that happened to me now, I can only imagine how awful it would feel as a teenager and half the people working in the store go to your high school. I know that I'm totally gushing about this (I've already called my best friend and gotten quite choked up), but I really feel like if you've ever had any financial problems ever, you should be watching this show. And if you have older children, they should be watching it with you.

*Have any of you ever made a brown sugar pie? I made one for Thanksgiving (I got the recipe from I Like You by Amy Sedaris), and although it tasted fine and still got eaten, it didn't set as well as I would have liked and was a bit goopy in the middle. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

14 comments:

Ms. Diva said...

Hey, I figure if the shoe fits..... I am surrounded by hormonal teens, so I always looking for a way to be away from home!!! I feel ya....

R.H. Ducky said...

I find it amusing that you called your kids asshats. Trust me, Mason and Max can be asshats at times!!!
Also, I'm not a big turkey fan either. Glad I'm not the only one.
I saw previews to Downsized and wanted to watch it, but I obviously have been missing it. After your description I feel like I HAVE to watch it.

Haleine said...

I have never experienced Brown Sugar Pie but it sounds delicious.

Daphne said...

We have given up on anything turkey-like at all. This year I made sweet potato gnocchi with maple-brown butter-sage sauce. Festive and WAY better than turkey.

Maybe it's just me but sometimes watching shows about something I really fear (complete economic meltdown) makes me really tense and frightened, so I really avoid them. I wonder if I would have that same reaction with Downsized?

Tammie said...

ducky: you do have to watch it. i insist. :)

Tammie said...

daphne: hmmm....i dont know. the family on Downsized has such a stick together and get through this attitude that i cant help but feel uplifted, even though the episodes can be about dumpster diving or scraping together rent money. its an incredibly moving and powerful show.

Dani said...

I'll have to check out that show. The Mr. and I have talked so often about me not working...taking the plunge and just seeing what happens. Obviously, it's been all talk.

I worry about things getting rough. I don't mean "we can't go on a vacation" rough, but (sounds selfish and materialistic) "we can't grab Mexican food out" rough. Don't judge. Sometimes a girl just wants someone else to cook her fajitas. But would I "need" that as much if I weren't working? I don't know. So for now, it's all pipe dream.

My children can be total asshats as well. It is their life mission to bug the shit out of each other.

I'm not crazy about turkey. I can handle one main meal and one leftover meal. The rest gets dumped. That's why we only get a breast and it's more than enough. For Christmas we do ham.

Anonymous said...

I don't have TV so I didn't know the show....I viewed some clips and I had the complete opposite reaction, found the whole thing ridiculous and annoying but to be fair I only could see a small glimpse but I think I would still feel the same way had I the ability to view all episodes. This is not a comment on the merits of your blog because I enjoy checking in with it,just wanted to respond. thanks.

Carla said...

Asshats - I love it!

Tammie said...

anonymous: interesting.i admit that when i first started watching the show, i wanted to HATE the family. my first inclination was to think that they should have been better with their money-which is a horrible thing to think because i know first hand that sometimes shitty things just happen and you have to make the best of it.

if you ever get a chance to watch a full episode, let me know what you think. :)

Tammie said...

dani: i completely understand. and i think everyone has their own idea of what's "rough" and no one should be judgin'. :)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You can call your kids whatever you want. The names that are running through my head with regard to my daughter are not publish-able. Wait until the teenage years descend. I am literally counting the days until she goes off to college.

And we actually eat chicken on Thanksgiving because my mother thinks turkey gets way too dry. Eat what you like -- you only go through life once.

Keep your chin up Tammie.

Anonymous said...

Your so sweet! I woke up this morning thinking "that comment I left was so ridiculous and I should have just kept it to myself!" My life involves dealing with the issues of the poor and creating a more positive/helpful image so I think I'm pretty biased when it comes to these types of reality shows, but in the end it is just tv and entertainment so I just need to relax!

Tammie said...

anon: no worries! i actually figured there was probably some underlying reason you left that comment and i really didnt take it personally.

and frankly, i normally HATE most reality tv and think of it as just stupid garbage, but (for whatever reason) there is something i totally relate to about this particular family.