Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween Wrap Up

Halloween really isn't my thing. I like watching others get dressed up and totally immerse themselves in it, but I'm content to stay home mentally judging costumes and handing out candy. The boy, being very much like me, donned only a wolf mask and met trick or treaters with a half hearted Grrr, before soon tiring of the whole thing and deciding to play video games.

I would like to share something that I overheard between my son and a group of female teenage trick or treaters, just moments after I told my son to only give out one piece of candy per person because I wanted to make sure we'd have enough candy for the whole night.

Girl Dressed as Whoopie Cushion: "Ooh you're scary. Do I know you? Who are you?"

My son removes his mask and the girl says, "Ooooooh, you're cute."

I'm standing in the kitchen (rolling my eyes), neither of the kids can see me and I can't see them but I can almost feel my son blushing.

Then Whoopie Cushion asks, "Can I have two pieces of candy?"

Of course by this point my son has no mental powers whatsoever and I hear him mumble something like,"Yeah, whatever, go ahead" and I imagine that he's now pushed the bowl of candy at Whoopie so that she can take and take and take like the taker that she is. Then I hear Whoopie Cushion stomping down the stairs with a fistful of the candy she conned from my son through flattery.

I have no idea how I'm going to make it through the teenage years.

The night wasn't all teenage shenanigans though, most of the kids were really polite and sweet (even the older ones) and the girl and Jay came home with enough candy to last us until next Halloween. This was the girl's first time trick or treating and she went as a fairy princess.I have to admit that at first I was really tempted to spend a lot of money on a fancy costume but, in the spirit of Enviromom's Buy Nothing New Halloween, I'm so glad I didn't. The girl's costume was cobbled together from things we already had, the only 'new' part of the costume is the cape, which I made in about ten minutes out of some fabric that I had gotten in a fabric grab bag at Goodwill. I'm excited that I was able to find a use for it because unless I had decided to start my own business making Quinceanera dresses, it would have probably sat unused in my cabinet forever.The girl is so easy to please at this age that she loved her costume and thought it was the greatest thing ever. Which is good, because it won't be long before she'll be standing on someones front steps dressed as a Whoopie Cushion, conning some poor, mindless boy out of his candy.

8 comments:

nevertravelled said...

Very cute story and great princess costume. I am a huge believer that the best costumes are the least expensive. Plus, you aren't pissed when they come home dirty or torn or never used again. :)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

This proves my theory that girls are much smarter than boys. No offense -- I'm the mother of two boys -- but seriously, I don't think their brains kick in until much later. My daughter's always conning someone out of something. And my boys always have some kind of delayed reaction.

Dani said...

Ha! Peace be with you through the teen years. I'll be following close behind.

The Offspring play with their old costumes so much throughout the year, that there is barely a seam intact come Halloween time.

Tell your girl to go ahead with flattery, but I think she'd get further with a costume that doesn't fart.

Aleta said...

Women and the ways... even as young girls to get candy. I don't remember doing that though. Lol. I would have been too shy.

Love the outfit that you made and even better - that you found everything for it in your home - Cool!

mandy said...

thanks for the link to that buy nothing Halloween, very cool.
i love how her costume came out.
sometimes i think the best creative costumes come from interesting restrictions, buying nothing new, i'm definitely into that.
i don't really get into Halloween either, glad i've got good company on that one.

kraftykash said...

Was the whoopie costume cute? Cuz it kinda sounds fun! LOL
As for teenagers....brace yourself. Thats the only advice I can give. Oh ya, and drick a glass of merlot every night. hahaha
The girl looks adorable, great costume!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh my God how cute is the Girl?!!!

I love that the Boy got all squishy and gave in to the flirty girl.
Are girls born manipulative? Or do they learn it? Boy so young to learn to work it with the boys. I was a dunder head I guess. Took me later in years to figure that trick out on boys.

Maria Rose said...

Whoopie Cushion sure was bold for a teen! Speaking of bold, my mother said that two adult women came to her door with their kids, but they held out bags of their own and asked for candy...