Monday, November 8, 2010

Curried Squash and Apple Soup

This is Curried Squash and Apple Soup and I totally get that it may not be your thing. Apples in soup? Curry? A raisin garnish. Yeah, I know it's a bit atypical. But it's delicious.

Friday when I came home from volunteering at the girl's school, there was a piping hot bowl waiting for me. It was made even better by the giant slab of nutty, crusty bread accompanying it. Jay knows I like to carbo load when eating soup.

The recipe is from Soup: A Way of Life, which is a book we've had for over a decade but it's usually used more as inspiration than actual instruction. Jay is the soup maker around here and frankly, he needs no stinkin' book. He's one of those people that can throw random items in a pot and have a delicious soup in an hour. But, for whatever reason, he decided to follow the recipe almost exactly. The only major change he made was that he didn't puree the apples, which is fine by me because I prefer my soup to be chunky.

I've had at least one bowl of this soup everyday since Friday, including this morning after coming in wet and cold from getting caught in the rain. Soup, it's not just for dinner anymore.

13 comments:

mandy said...

Perfect, I've got a whole bunch of butternut squash still and I've been looking for a 'different' type of soup.

This looks delicious!

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

It sounds great. I love soup in the fall--and winter. But there's something special about the first soups of the season.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I love soups. This one is interesting. I, however, do not make soups. I eat them.
Hubby makes soups. I swear Rick found his long lost younger brother. (hell he's adopted it could have happened!):-)

Jessie@Luna Pacifica said...

Ryan's just like Jay. He could make stone soup and it would be superb.

Looks delish!

Maria Rose said...

I loooove soup!

Stephanie Meade Gresham said...

This is not my "thing", but I would soooo try it. Looks so delicious. I can almost smell it.

Dani said...

I gotta try this. It looks amazing.

nevertravelled said...

This one sounds like my very favorite soup in the whole world -- just like this, only with curry powder. YUMZ! I love fall food. Go, Jay!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

We're living on soup these days. I just made a delicious parsnip and potato soup with cheese. It was so good, I practically licked the bowl. Your squash soup sounds so good....I've got so much squash in this-here house, I really should just turn it all into soup.

AKM said...

Mmm, soup. I decided Saturday night that I would have three different kinds of soup for dinner. I only ate two, though, and decided that was enough. (Tomato Basil and Butternut Squash, and while they weren't homemade, they were pretty yummy.)

daphne said...

Um, so what part of "curried squash and apple soup" did I not understand?! Duh. This is one of my favorite soups. And yes, mine ALSO includes curry. What a dork.

Tammie said...

ha ha ha. you're funny. i knew what you meant.

believe me, ive dorked up many a blog comment. no harm done. :)

The WoodLand School said...

Yum!!! We make something similar on a far-too-regular basis. Hmmm ... like maybe for dinner tonight!