Thursday, November 11, 2010

Book Review:: Dark Places

When Libby Day was seven, her mother and two sisters were murdered as she was in the closet hiding from the chaos. Knowing she heard her brother Ben's voice in the house and that he was involved with a rough crowd, she testified against him and he went to prison.

Flash forward twenty five years. Ben is still in prison and Libby is now in her early thirties and having a rough go at life. She's basically friendless, alone, and can't hold down a job and now that the trust fund set up in her name has been depleted, she needs to do something fast.

Enter The Kill Club, a group of average folks who meet to discuss the specifics of famous crimes, one of them being the murders of Libby's family. They are convinced that Libby's testimony had been coerced and that Ben is innocent. At first Libby wants nothing to do with the Club, but then she realizes that they are willing to pay her to go back and talk to Ben and other people associated with that night. In desperate need of money, she agrees. But as she talks to surviving relatives and reconnects with people from her past, she soon realizes that maybe she isn't so certain about everything after all.

This is another AMAZING book from Gillian Flynn. Each chapter is written from the perspective of a different character and at different time: Ben today, Libby today, their mother the day of the murders, etc and it was such a fascinating way to get all the details to the story. The way Gillian Flynn built the mystery by adding new, albeit small, details every chapter kept me totally on the edge of my seat and aching to read more. Plus, she's really good at writing about these horrific, gruesome events in a way that never really seems scary. Which I like, because I'm not really a fan of horror type books.

This is the second Flynn book I've read (the first is reviewed here) and she has no more books at the moment and I'm sad because everything I'm picking up now is falling short of the mark. Even the new Sedaris isn't really doing it for me. There is a definite down side to reading a really great book.

9 comments:

daphne said...

I loved this so much!! Libby was such an unsympathetic hero, and yet I just really wanted her to come out okay in the end. I just love Flynn's unflinching style of the dark and dirty, especially her deeply flawed women characters. Loved it. i hope she's writing another one soon!

Tammie said...

daphne: i really, really loved libby and honestly, i feel like i could relate to her in a way (not sure what that says about me). she talks a lot about not having the energy to work and how sometimes she doesnt even have the energy to feed her cat. i loved that. i think we all have times when simple tasks seem so daunting. i think she even said something like how her power has been cut off a few times because she just didnt have the energy to write out the check. it seems so lazy, but so honest too. who hasnt felt that way?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

well this sounds MUCH better than my offering today. :-)

Off to the library I go.

Dani said...

I gotta get my hands on this. It had me with the cover alone.

hester said...

Sounds great. You really do write excellent book reviews. I've just joined a book club of school mums so might suggest it. It sounds a little like "Every Last One" by Anna Quindlen which I couldn't put down.

Haleine said...

Your two reviews have really made me want to read Gillian Flynn's novels. She should put you on payroll...

Ryan said...

I'm not normally swayed by reviews, but I'm curious to check out this book. I've been on a mystery kick lately (I last read Mojo by Kris Sedersten) and this looks like the kind of book that I would enjoy. Thanks!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

The cover alone is enticing. The storyline sounds amazing. As soon as I finish my Louise Penny series, I'll request it at my library.

Mari said...

This book sounds really good!