Monday, October 4, 2010

What I've Been Reading Lately

Oh my I've been reading a lot lately. I have a stack of books needing to be read and one being held for me at the library as I type this. Speaking of my library, I want to list just a few of the many reasons I love my county's library system:

*They have many of the books that have been on my to-be-read list for years but for one reason or another was never able to get in Gainesville. (The library system in Gainesville doesn't have late fees, so even if you were put on a waiting list for a book, it could be ages before you'd ever get it.)

*They only have self check out, which means I don't have to talk to anyone.

*The 'Holds' section is in the middle of the library, not behind a desk or counter. I enter the library, go to the 'Holds' shelf, find my book and go. Seriously, the fact that this is all set up in a manner in which I don't have to talk to anyone, makes me think that I'm not the only anti-social person who frowns on mindless small talk.

*They have a section of books you can buy, all on the honor system, with a little padlocked box for you to put your money in. Rest assured, if I go back and buy that Sweet Valley High book I saw on sale for twenty five cents, I will not be embarrassed because guess what? I don't have to talk to anyone.

So anyway, enough mindless chit chat. Here's a quick run-down of some of what I've been reading lately:

*Stuck in the Middle: Seventeen Comics from an Unpleasant Age
Just as the title suggests, comics by various artists about the awkward teen years. I love reading this kind of stuff and I only wish I had had something like this around when I was younger. I definitely would have felt less alone. I devoured this book in just a few hours, and then I gave it to the boy so that he could read a few comics.

*Why is My Mother Getting a Tattoo? by Jancee Dunn
I've talked before about my slight obsession with Jancee Dunn and this is the second book I've read by her. It's filled with personal essays about marriage, her siblings, and her aging parents. It wasn't as laugh-out-loud funny as I had hoped, but Jancee is so likable and her writing style is so easy to read and fun that I really have no faults with this book. In fact her novel, Don't You Forget About Me, is on my nightstand waiting to be read.

*Songs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi PicoultThis was my first Picoult and I wanted to like it but it just didn't pull me in. After reading about fifty pages, I tossed it aside. I know that Jodi Picoult is super popular, was this just an off book? Maybe I should have started with a different title?

*Strangers in Paradise Volume One by Terry Moore
I've been trying to get my hands on this series of books about a group of friends (or are they lovers? I don't know yet, I've only read Volume one) for a while but I wanted to start at the beginning of the series and back in Gainesville I could only find Volume three. I definitely plan on requesting the rest of the series as soon as I make a dent in my book stack. As it is now, if any more of my requests come in soon, I may have to hole up in my apartment and do nothing but read for a month. Although that certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.


What have you been reading lately?

13 comments:

Aleta said...

I love it when you do book reviews - I devour your reviews much like you do the books. It's hard to find good reviews!

Ummm, what have I read lately? Mostly SciFi stuff - I read that when I'm on a plane, because it takes my mind off of being in a plane. Lol. I'll have to do a review soon.

Dani said...

I have about 100 pages left in the last Harry Potter book. I've read all 7 back to back.

I'm not sure what to do with myself when it's over.

I'm lost in a wizarding world.

Tammie said...

aleta: i hate flying too so would probably have to resort to sci fi as well.

dani: ha! thats how i felt after reading all the Twilight books back to back. i didnt want to return to a world without vampires.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Talking to the librarians is one of the great things about our library. The book selection sucks, but the librarians are about the nicest group of ladies in this here town. I've never gotten into a Jodi P. novel. I tried to like her style, but couldn't.

Daphne said...

I couldn't read the one Jodi P. book I tried. Glad I'm not the only one!

So glad you are starting SIP. Oh my goodness, I LOVE this series so much. You will, too. It is worth reading through to the end. See if you can find the big omnibus, if any library has it, because it's perfect for devouring in a single week or weekend. :)

I'm going to start that Dracula book tonight, woohoo!

Haleine said...

I haven't read that particular Jodi Picoult novel but I have read and enjoyed several others. My favorites are Keeping Faith and My Sister's Keeper (better and different than the movie was). The Pact and Nineteen Minutes are also very good.

Run Lori Run said...

Ok, if you got thru the Twilight books then I will give it another shot.... My daughter is COMPLETELY obsessed with them and is losing sleep at night reading till the wee hours. I hear about vampires like they are part of my family!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I wrote a comment and then it said service unavailable. 3x

Here I go again.......

I love when you do book reviews. Mostly because you read things that I wouldn't normally pick up and then I am intrigued and have to get the book.

Your library sounds like mine.
When I moved here and they gave me a small little card that hangs from my key chain I was hooked. I swipe that under the scanner and then the books and no need to stand in line or talk to anyone to check out. Same with holds etc. Everything is accessible like a library should be.

For two people who write for the world to see we sure are anti-social aren't we? :-)

Tammie said...

haleine: i think maybe i should have chosen a different title. i saw th emovie to my sisters keeper and although i know its very different i still kinda want to read the book.

run lori: the books really are so bad that they are good. just try not to think about it too hard and totally immerse yourself in the story.

peggy: i know! i can lay it all out here for the world to read but when it comes time for me to talk to people in real life im like "Why are you people talking to me??!!"

Lia said...

I wish you had started with Plain Truth (Piccoult). It's so damn good. That whale one got better the further you go into it, but definitely not one of my favorite books. Actually, once I read Plain Truth none of the others have been as good, not that I've read anywhere near all of them. And I absolutely hated Nineteen Minutes.

Dysfunctional Mom said...

You definitely started with the wrong Picoult book. I've read almost all of hers, and that is the only one I couldn't get through (and I am extremely stubborn when it comes to finishing books, it's very rare that I stop reading one).

Tammie said...

this is good to know. i may still give picoult another chance.

Tara said...

I love your book reviews - I am constantly on the hunt for new books to download onto my ereader! As for Jodi Picoult, I have not read that particular book but I liked nearly all of her others... I particularly liked Plain Truth, My Sister's Keeper (better than the movie!), The Pact and Keeping Faith!

I read The Help by Kathryn Stockett a little while back and LOVED it! I just finished with Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda - it was soooo good! John Grisham's A Painted House was alright too.