Monday, October 11, 2010

Twilight Tour:: Oxbow Park

As I mentioned yesterday, Saturday we drove out to Oxbow Park, which is about 30 minutes from downtown Portland. Many of Twilight's gloomy, forest scenes were filmed here. To make this easy on myself, I'm going to hit you with the pictures first and then some bulleted thoughts afterwards. (I know there are a lot of photos here, so if you stick around until the end, you're awesome.) *Oxbow park has over 15 miles of hiking trails. We were at the park only about two hours so we didn't have time to fully investigate everything. I'm already very anxious to go back. There's a $5 entrance fee. Well worth every penny.

*Deer were everywhere. It seemed as if every time we turned a corner, there was another family of deer chomping on some ground cover, stretching their necks to get leaves from the trees, or licking the moss off of a downed tree branch. They didn't appear to be scared of humans either. The girl and I were carrying around leaves for her leaf collection and at one point a deer came up to sniff what we had. I guess it had our people smell on it though because he wasn't too interested.

*The weather was perfect for a day at this type of moody park. It was overcast and drizzly and the temperatures were in the sixties. Even in the drippy rain, none of us were ever really cold.

*I really think my family thrives in this kind of climate. All summer long we rolled around the apartment complaining about the heat and the fact that the damn sun wouldn't go down. If we did venture out to a park, it wasn't long before someone complained about being hungry, or thirsty, or tired. But this time, the kids raced through the grey, drippy forest with no complaints. The girl didn't want to leave and the boy declared it the best park he's been to.

*Other than a few people fishing, the park was nearly deserted. (I've quickly learned that not everyone loves the wet weather as much as we do.)

*Honestly, there is more I want to say, but the beauty of it all is still sinking in and I'm having trouble finding the words. My emotions for it are that intense. Living in the south all my life, a park like this was always something out of my dreams, never really being something I thought I could experience firsthand. I know you folks are probably tired of hearing it, but I'm so glad to be here.

(Oh, and thank you all for the compliments on the new header. I think Jay may have actually taken that one. My eyes are always drawn to the man fishing, he's the speck right above the 'i' in my name.)

14 comments:

Jem @Luna Pacifica said...

Great photos! I've been here my whole life. Rest assured, that feeling of awe never goes away. It's magical every time.

Ps. Deer freak me out!

Tammie said...

jessie: ha ha. i know what you mean. i actually kept wanting to get closer but was scared to. i didnt want a hoof to the face.

Daphne said...

What a perfect Oregon day you had. When I miss home, this is what I miss. So gorgeous. You should also check out Silver Creek Falls -- a perfect hike with tons of waterfalls. The kids would love it.

Love the deer, and love how happy you guys are there! It's wonderful!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

As always GREAT photo's.

I so love your new header that I showed Rick. I so miss that weather. He noticed the fisherman instantly and said, Ooh that would be great weather for some great fishing. Is this the really cute woman's blog...she was hot?

That's him, nice looking women and fishing are the 2 things always on his mind!

Tammie said...

daphne: i can totally see how youd miss this. i doubt ill ever move back down south. i would miss this too much.

peggy: HA! rick is so awesome.

Hart Johnson said...

Tammie-I didn't realize you were in Oregon! I've seen you around on comments, but I think hadn't made my way here. I went to college at UO and then lived in Portland 88-2000 when family stuff brought us across the country. I miss Oregon BADLY (though most of my hiking was in the gorge)--I loved these pictures, though--thank you for sharing them!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

BTW Tam - the boy looks good and older with that new hair cut.

Tammie said...

hart: hey, thanks for stopping by. yep, ive seen you around too, mainly through Not Hannah. we've only been here in oregon a few months. i think we may still be in the infatuation stage of our relationship with the state. :)

peggy: thank you! i was kinda shocked by how much older he looked too. eek.

Dani said...

Good Lord. How could you not thrive with that beauty all around you?

I love deer. In college me and a friend bottle fed a fawn that had been abandoned.

I would never notice the fisherman.

Patricia said...

Wonderful, wonderful photos! The weather was so perfect this weekend; I too love the parks here especially when it's cloudy/misty/rainy. I also love this weekend the way the hills disappeared into the mist, as if someone had airbrushed them away and what was left was vague and dreamlike.

I agree that words simply don't do justice to the beauty here in Oregon. Although I grew up in Ohio, there is nothing like the Pacific Northwest; I'm also so glad to be here, where I think I was meant to be all along.

Theresa said...

what a beautiful area! I am so jealous of all your oregon outings! I love grey drippy weather too. Maybe I should move my family up there.

hester said...

Gorgeous forest photos! (And I didn't even make it all the way through the first Twilight move!). And I love the Boy's haircut - he looks great.

Mandy said...

what a majestic forest...it does seem a werewolf could step out of that fog instead of a deer.
so much fun to have a place like that to look forward to going to and so close to home, what a treasure.

Dysfunctional Mom said...

Those are amazing photos. Beautiful!