Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Scarf

So here's the scarf I made for Jay. And just let me take a moment to say how hard it is to take a picture of a scarf and have it actually look interesting. I mean, I've been working on this thing on and off for six months, I want my pictures to fully capture all of my long nights spent working my fingers to the bone. I really wanted Jay to model the scarf but he's at work. Then I thought of getting one of the children to model it for me but they are both doing things quietly on their own and it would be stupid of me to interrupt that just for the sake of getting a model who will probably have a bad attitude and then want me to make them something to eat immediately following the photo shoot.

So here we have pictures of a scarf on a table:And now for the details:

*The yarn is Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool in Brown Heather. I wanted to make sure Jay would actually wear this scarf, so he picked out the yarn. It would not have been my first choice because I think it has the feel and texture of pubes. But, if that's what Jay wants around his neck, then so be it.

*I found this yarn to be much harder to work with than 100% cotton yarn. The various strands didn't stay together and the colors kept playing little tricks on my eyes. Plus, did I mention it feels like pubes? The pube-ness of it dried out my hands and in order for me to work with it I kept having to lotion up. (Or lube up, if you'd like me to continue with the immature, vaguely sexual references.)

*I am a slooooooow crocheter. I've thought about making a few of these for holiday gifts but I don't know if I could get more than one done before the end of the year.

*I still don't consider myself to be a proficient crocheter. The fact that I ended up with something that someone actually wants to wear, is amazing to me. That being said, I think I've nearly mastered the single crochet stitch.

*A few months back Dani sent me Boye's I Taught Myself Crochet kit and it's been incredibly helpful. There were so many little gaps in my knowledge that this book was able to successfully fill in. I highly recommend it.

*I bought way more yarn than I needed so I may eventually end up making a scarf for myself too. Even though I don't love the feel of it, I do think it'll be warm and cozy for the cold, wet months we'll be having soon. Besides, nothing says love better than matching pube scarves.

7 comments:

Jessie said...

T! You did great! That scarf looks cozy and manly! Good job. Good book suggestion: Kids Crochet!

Keep going!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You're killing me....I'm laughing so hard. Only you. The scarf turned out great, but I will never look at Lion Brand Fisherman yarn the same way. Thanks for that.

Daphne said...

Hey, who WOULDN'T want matching pube scarves?

(looks great, by the way!)

Rianne said...

Your post actually made me laugh out loud, not just the lol kind, real laughs. I am about to make a scarf for my hubby and I want him to pick out the yarn too, since other wise I know he won't wear it- here's hoping it not too pubey!

beki said...

ha! you got a chuckle out of me this morning :-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

This scarf is great looking Tam.
The idea of feeling like pubes not quite as appealing. But it looks fabulous in the photo.

Dani said...

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

Pube scarf. Nice.

You should put that up on Ravelry.

Seriously though, it looks great. Your stitching is so even. Good work, girly.