Saturday, October 2, 2010

Random Thoughts

Hey there!

I've been sick for the last week and am just now coming out of it. Between that and my Fruit Loop posts (which were all mostly pre-written), I feel as if I haven't been here in a while. I have so much catching up to do, not only here but in real life too. It's the perfect time for some randomness.

*As I mentioned, I've been sick. We all have but it seemed to linger longest for me and Jay. Normally, it takes a lot to really get me out of commission. As long as it's not a migraine or I'm not vomiting, I can usually take some Day Quil and keep plugging along. But this thing wore me out. My body ached, I ran a fever on and off, and my energy was gone. I'm not really one to nap during the day but there were a few days where I even succumbed to that. I know it sounds like I'm doing a cold medicine commercial, but I really felt as if I was in a fog for the last week. I'm glad to be coming out of it.

*I broke down and got a haircut yesterday. I wanted to let it grow but I just don't have the patience. I found a salon close to my apartment, the haircut cost right about what I wanted to spend, and the gal did it quickly and was good at the small talk that goes along with visits to the salon. Since I'm not good at chit chat, I like to find someone who is good at it so that I don't totally reveal myself to be the socially awkward freak we all know I am. But yes, I'm feeling much more attractive now. Which is good because Jay said that this past week there were definitely a few days where I was "completely un-doable." Nice.

*Speaking of hair cuts, the boy came home from school Thursday and, out of nowhere, said, "Hey, will someone take me to get my haircut? I want it short, but not quite a buzz cut." Um.....yes! Of course someone will take you! We will trip over each other racing to the car to take you! So yes, the shoulder length locks are gone and I couldn't be happier. I really wanted to take a picture but he's sort of anti-blog right now. I'm hoping it's just a phase. He says he doesn't want all the "moms and other old ladies" looking at him. Don't take offense that he considers us 'old ladies.' I'm convinced that twelve year olds are a dumb bunch.

*I've made quite a few lady friends in the neighborhood and at the girl's school. Of course it's too early to say whether or not they'll be the type of friends that I can just hang around and be comfortable with, but it definitely seems that way. When I walk into the girl's school, I feel like all the other moms are supportive, as if we're all in this parenting thing together, which I love. Down in Florida, it seemed like it was all a competition and a lot of the other moms were cliquish. It's nice to smile at another mom and see her smile back, not have her look me up and down as if she's judging my outfit or hair. No one cares that I live in an apartment and not one of the fancy houses nearby. I really feel a sense of community within my neighborhood, the schools, and the town.

*The girl has developed a stutter. Her teacher says it's pretty common around this age and I was talking to another mother [Look at me, talking to people!] who mentioned her nephew recently developed the same problem. The girl had this problem about a year and a half ago and it disappeared almost as quickly as it came so I'm hoping that happens again.

*My house in Florida still hasn't sold. It seems like the real estate market tanked shortly after we moved. Now there are talks of a short sale. This is depressing of course, especially considering our house is already listed at a price way below the appraised value, but whatever. Jay and I just want it over with once and for all so we can put behind us all the horrible feelings associated with that house.

*Last week I stumbled across the blog of a woman who moved to Oregon from Florida right around the same time we did and for some of the same reasons we did. I was never so narcissistic to believe that we were the only ones to make the exodus, but I found it fascinating that we've been on much the same journey.

8 comments:

daphne said...

Oh, so much to comment on here. I hope you're feeling better! That sounds like a bad one. I've been trying to avoid getting sick for a few weeks now. Wish me luck.

It is HARD to grow out short hair. I've been thinking of growing mine out. I always do this. I can only keep a hairstyle for about a year, then I have to change it.

Yay for local friends! That is so awesome. You guys are taking to your new life like a slug to a wet forest floor. (you'll get that metaphor on your first winter walk)...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

So much randomness so much to say -
I hate my hair - I too am growing it out and i swear I am going to wear a hat from now until it's grown. Where my ears were cut out is now just in the middle of my ear - a damn ugly place to be. It's like I'm wearing a brown helmet. It's not cute and spikey it's just there. Aargh! How do people do this? I don't want to be undoable. :-)

What I didn't share on the post about my speech classes was that I too developed a stutter in 1st grade but it went away much like it appeared and it didn't linger like those pesky R's.

How cool that you are meeting so many like minded people. Note to self - do not move to Florida!

Daphne's right - her metaphor is accurate. I never knew about slugs until I moved to the PNW.

Tammie said...

interesting about the slugs. ive seen a couple around but mainly early in the morning when im walking the dogs. i've almost scooped them up thinking they were dog poop. how sad to be something that so closely resembles poop.

peggy: that does seem to be the case with stutters at this age so i hope it disappears quickly. its very heartbreaking for me to see her struggling.

if you continue to grow out your hair you'll have my undying admiration. i couldnt take it anymore.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I'm glad you're finding some women-folk to hang out with. Why is it that some women get so darn competitive about things? I especially can't stand the mothers of real athletes (not the fake athletes like my kids).

And hurray for a haircut for you and the boy. Long hair is over-rated. It's too much fuss. I'm in between right now, debating ont the look I want to have. I've had short hair forever, but I can't work with long hair. Oh decisions.

Patricia said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better! We had a very similar ailment around here about a week ago.

Also, great that you're making acquaintances-some-of-whom-hopefully-turn-into-friends in the area! It makes one feel even more at home in a new location, certainly.

Regarding hair, my daughter was growing out her wavy hair and decided enough was enough. She kept chopping and chopping until now it's very short, but is actually becoming. I still feel most comfortable with shoulder-length hair.

And yes re slugs; we see MANY around here. Argh!

Run Lori Run said...

Glad you're feeling better. I feel something coming on...tis the season!

Let's see your new hair! I love short, sassy hair but I just can't pull it off...

Glad you are liking life here in Oregon. I noticed a difference right away having lived in Indiana and Arizona. I love it here.

Dani said...

I'm glad you are on the mend.

Is Jay now un-doable since he said that you were completely un-doable?

I like Jay. Not because he called you un-doable, but because he had the guts to say that to another woman. I don't know if he's the bravest man I know or the craziest.

I'm strange in that I love the occasional weekend spent in a medically induced haze. It's one of the few times that people leave me alone and I can get some rest. I should fake illness and pop pills more often.

hester said...

That's so great that you are meeting women you relate to, who make you feel welcome and part of the local community. I love that. I love when other mums offer to pick up your child from school when you are sick and all that stuff. That's how life is meant to be. (Florida sounds pretty damn scary.)

Your haircut sounds like a positive experienece. And I hope you manage to sneak a photo of your boy with his new short hair on your blog sometime for we old women to see.