Monday, October 18, 2010

Pumpkin Patch Sunday

One of the things that Jay and I have been looking forward to is Pumpkin Patch time. You may remember that this time last year I was lamenting the fact that every pumpkin patch near me was affiliated with a church. That certainly isn't the case here in Oregon. I have yet to see even one that is connected to a church, although granted I haven't really been looking since we have so many other available options.

As far as I can tell, The Pumpkin Patch out on Sauvie Island is definitely one of the most popular ones around. We got there right as it was opening and traffic was already backed up. By the time we left an hour and a half later, traffic was backed up at least two miles. It was one of those awesome places though that had a little bit of everything: a gift shop, produce market, a cafe/eating area, corn maze, hay rides, and an animal barn. Sometimes it's hard for us to plan family activities that keep both a five year old and a twelve year old interested, so I get excited when we find things that have a little bit of something for everyone.

Jay at the produce market. (He now regrets not putting this giant zucchini at crotch level.)
Here are a few shots from within the corn maze. (If you click here, you can see an aerial shot of the maze.) The maze itself was pretty intense and although I had fun, I was glad when it ended because the girl was starting to drag and I knew that major whining was right around the corner. It took us a while to figure out that this sign meant Cow Poke. The cow seems to be enjoying it a bit too much, don't ya think? We passed this sign three different times. There were cheers all around when the end was in sight:Later on in the afternoon we drove out to Helvetia to visit the Roloff family farm, which you may or may not know belongs to the family from Little People, Big World. (You could get your picture taken with the actual mom and dad but the lines for that were super long.)
I don't watch a lot of 'reality' TV so I only know the most basic information about this family and I want to be completely honest and say that I expected to have a totally negative opinion about this particular pumpkin patch. But I didn't, and here are a few reasons why:

*It only cost $2 to get in, and that was to park. The petting zoo area was on a donation basis. There was a tour that you could buy tickets for, but we didn't do that. So to actually just come here and still have fun, cost very little. I thought that was kinda cool because I'm sure this family could have very easily jacked up the prices and people would still come.

*There was a gift shop where you could buy books and dvds and other things related to the show, but the vibe of the place didn't feel like it was about "the show." Despite this family's fame, it was all surprisingly laid back.

*Although I didn't actually speak to any of the family members, they were on the grounds, totally accessible to everyone. One of the sons was taking tickets for the tour, and the mom and dad were walking around being friendly and chatting animatedly with visitors. Again, I thought that was neat.

I think Jay put it best when he said, "It's like they're Oregonian farmers first, celebrities second."

10 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

"It's like they're Oregonian farmers first, celebrities second."
How refreshing is that? wow!

Looks like fun and you know I'm jealous. Two old farts with no kids look creepy going alone!

after saying it would be creepy what is my word verification? EXCON.....Hmmmm

Dani said...

The more I read about pumpkin patches, the guiltier I feel about having The Offspring pick out their pumpkin at HEB.

This looks like such fun.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I wanted to go to the pumpkin patch last weekend, but my kids didn't want to go. Then BORED at 4 pm on Saturday, they wanted to go -- incognito in case their friends spotted them. I squashed the whole idea because it was too late and somehow the incognito-thing got under my skin. You're making me want to join your family.

Daphne said...

So glad you got to go have religious-guilt-free pumpkin fun!

Run Lori Run said...

I really like that farm too! We usually avoid the huge pumpkin patch crowds and favor the strawberry picking mini crowds.

Not Hannah said...

I used to have to watch the Roloff family for work and I loved that show. Dude, the dad built a whole village for the kids to play in. WITH A PIRATE SHIP.

Heh. Sorry. Carry on.

Maria Rose said...

We're headed to a pumpkin patch today too!

hester said...

That's one scary zucchini!

victoria said...

ahhh ... so many pumpkin patches here .. so few churches. Amen, Sister!!

Patricia said...

Oh, I was hoping to get out to Sauvie Island; we're searching for a pie pumpkin, but may not get out there this season. Hopefully we can find one at a market closer by. Great pics!