Saturday, October 9, 2010

New Skirt

The other night I sat down and made this skirt for the girl. It was originally a skirt of mine that I had made well over a year ago but only wore a handful of times.

I feel weird wearing things that I make for myself. The sizing is always a bit off and I just never feel as polished and put together as I do when I wear store bought clothes. Although Jay has assured me that I never look like a hobo so it's probably all in my head and I need to just get over it.

Anyway, I love the fabric but it never really fit my life since I wear a lot of neutral colors. The girl though, wears her clothes loud and proud, as evidenced by the fact that she chose to pair the skirt with a rainbow striped shirt. Another thing that makes this skirt girl-approved is the major twirl factor since it was made with enough fabric to once cover my rump.

(Not sure why the chihuahua is skulking around in the photo. Probably contemplating pointlessly barking at something stupid. That's kinda her thing.)

8 comments:

Carla said...

Sounds like Sierra's fashion tastes! I love it.

Karen said...

I've also been cutting down my brightly hued sewing failures to make into wearable clothing for my kids. It took me years of sewing before I accepted that since I only BUY neutral clothing, I should only SEW neutral clothing. Years, I tell you.

Haleine said...

I think all dogs like to skulk around, contemplating pointless barking. That's how my two spent entire too much of their time.

I don't sew, not even a little bit, but my mother does and when we were younger, she made a lot of clothes for us. Now she just makes us the absolutely best hats and mittens and scarves.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I feel the same way about things I make, though I've learned to never make my own clothes. They're just not right. Glad your girlie can enjoy your craftiness.

Daphne said...

I love this fabric, but I LOVE your new header even more!!!

Tammie said...

daphne: thank you! it was taken at oxbow park. which may be heaven on earth.

Dani said...

I need to make The Girl a basic skirt. With twirl factor, of course.

Love the fabric.

I think your girl and my girl would find lots of common ground. We bought new hiking shoes today and it finally took an executive decision on my part to steer her away from the cheesy model with pink flowers all over the front. Please, we are hiking. In nature. Not the mall.

Gotta love 'em.

Dani said...

Oh, and the Made By Wendy (Simplicity) shirt is the only one I've made that feels right. Those and a couple of skirts I made using a custom pattern from Sew What Skirts.

But, yeah...I am more into store bought. **gasp**

I hope they don't ban me from Blog Land.