Thursday, October 21, 2010

I Get An "F"

At NaBloWriMo, that is. I'm a bit disappointed in myself because when I look over last October's posts, I was sewing and baking and immediately writing about it. I really had no trouble completing all 31 blog posts. This year, my mood and attitude has been different. I'm having a harder time quickly regurgitating all of my daily experiences for the blog and certain stories I'm wanting to keep for myself. It's a bizarre phase I'm in.

But here's the latest around here:

*Pumpkin baking is in full swing. Last weekend I made my first pumpkin pie from an actual pumpkin and it was delicious. Yesterday I made pumpkin cookies with a glaze and there are plans to make a pumpkin bread very soon. And Jay will be whipping up a pumpkin soup that's actually baked inside of a pumpkin. Yum.

*Yesterday I helped chaperone a field trip with the girl's class to a farm/pumpkin patch. There is a really interesting mix of Mommies in the girl's class. Because we are all so different, it never feels cliquish. I'm still so amazed by this. After living in Florida and feeling like an outsider for so long, it's so refreshing to be with a group of women who actually behave like adults and not overgrown high schoolers.

*We got an offer on our house in Florida. The bad news is that it's $20,000 less than what we owe so it will be a short sale. I have a lot of mixed feelings about this obviously. On the one hand, it will be great to be done with the house and not have to worry about it anymore. And as far as short sales go, a $20,000 difference isn't that big of a deal, especially in Florida where people owe hundreds of thousands on homes that are worth a fraction of that. But on the other hand, it makes me sad that we put so much time, effort, money, and work into the house, thinking it would pay off in the end, and it just didn't. I flashback to the weekends spent installing new siding, painting rooms, Jay on his hands and knees tiling floors or installing laminate, not to mention all the minor repairs that we did almost weekly and all the many ways in which we just tried to make it "home." It makes me sad to think we really did it all for nothing. But ultimately, it looks like it will be over soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

*It's parent/teacher conference time around here. This morning I had in depth discussion with the girl's teacher about her stutter. She confirmed a lot of what I already know, mainly that it isn't an all the time thing and that she'll go days without stuttering and right when we think it's gone away, she'll have a day where she can barely get the words out. It's frustratingly random and it nearly brings me to tears when she has one of those bad days. I see her getting frustrated at herself and I know that she can sense my own impatience when I just want her to spit the words out. (Jay, the boy, and I try to be very patient and understanding about this, but it can be hard at times.) The good news is that it isn't effecting her learning though, in fact she's doing above average in most areas. So I guess we just need to wait and see a bit longer.

*I've been crocheting again. I started a scarf for Jay about four months ago but just couldn't bring myself to work on it during the hot summer months when I had no desire to have a ball of woolly yarn in my lap. But it's almost done now and hopefully I'll be writing about it soon.

Let's see, other than all that, it's been the usual here. Reading, television, children and their friends, and basically just a lot of catching up on all the things I've neglected the past few months. I've been making a weekly to-do list and it feels good to be crossing things off that I've been meaning to get done for weeks now.

20 comments:

daphne said...

Here is another pumpkin recipe for when you are feeling decadent. It is absolute YUM but might be best with a salad on the side..

http://www.ruthreichl.com/pumpkin-soup.html

Tammie said...

daph: yes! how could i forget about that one? i read about it in one of her books. its definitely not diet food. i really want it now.

kat said...

You can get your husband to wear a scarf? Wow! I wish. Not because I worry he is cold but because I think they look HOT! Euro hot!
PS I have enjoyed your month of posts -you definitley don't suck everyday would be a lot of work.

Carla said...

Posting everyday is definitely a challenge - don't feel bad. I find I have good ideas throughout the day and when I finally get a chance to blog my brain goes - uuuuuhhhh??

Good luck with the house as you weigh everything out and decide.

Lia said...

That's a lot of pumpkin shit. I'm only certain that I like pumpkin bread and muffins. I hate the pie and the seeds. I'm intrigued by the cookies, though.

Watching a kid struggle through a stutter can be very frustrating. I'm sorry y'all are having to go through that.

Yay for the house! Getting rid of it will feel so good.

Not Hannah said...

Technically, you get a "B." Gimme a break, lady. You're doing fine. And please...it's pumpkin season. I'm surprised you can even find the strength to type. :)

Karen said...

I get an F on NaBloWriMo too. But pumpkin cookies get an A+, so it all averages out.

Given the real estate market in Florida, you might not have sold your house at all if you hadn't made the improvements, so it probably wasn't all for nothing.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

An F? Hell you get an A in my book for the attempt. It is not one I, the lazy blogger, would try to do.

mandy said...

thanks for that pumpkin recipe, i've got serious surplus of pumpkin around here and i'm kinda of realizing it's because i don't like pumpkin that much...but if it's a cookie...

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You'll have to take pictures of your scarf....I'd love to see your progress. I'm so glad those parent-teacher conferences are over for me. They caused much anxiety.

Theresa said...

f, shmef! You need to try this pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting I made for fam the other day! I will send you a recipe. *hugs*

kraftykash said...

Both of my kids could not pronounce K's until they were in 2nd grade. Sometimes if families dont make a big deal, kids grow out of it. Korby used to get so frustrated. Everyone thought she was Torby. :)

Hope the house sells in FL, that will be a big relief.

Dani said...

I have a pumpkin muffin (fail) post that I'll be doing soon.

I'm going through a strange blogging phase right now. I don't know what it is...but some nights I just don't have the words.

I can't wait to see the scarf.

hester said...

Good news about your house, but I wish they would cough up an extra $40 thousand for you.

If it's any comfort at all, Greta stuttered on and off from about two to three and a half and suddenly (at four) she seems ok.

Posting every day is huge effort so give yourself an A. And they always entertain me so give yourself an A +.

Cruella Collett said...

You're too hard on yourself! This is no F-blog, that's for sure. I'm not entirely sure that posting something - anything - every day, as opposed to posting really good stuff every now and then (like you do), is worth striving for (even if the every day aspect technically is what NaBloWriMo is all about). I think I'll go with Heather and say you'll get a B. For effort. And then an A for content. Sometimes life just interferes, and sometimes life means non-postable stuff. I feel that way all the time, which is why most of my posts lately have been completely gobbledigook.

And AGAIN you've made me crave pumpkins (and I don't even particularly like the stuff....)

Aleta said...

There are no grades in NaBloWriMo. Just write as you can and keep the challenge in mind. It doesn't have to be long or detailed. But I know what you mean, I'm struggling. I've kept up so far, but it always seems like the last week of the 31 days is the hardest :) For today, I did short book reviews (something I've wanted to do for a while and figured now was as good of a time as any)..
That was interesting what you wrote about Florida and the people there. I've visited Florida a couple of times, but then visiting is nothing like living there.
Sending prayers and positive thoughts for the house being sold. In this economy, it's good to find someone to buy - so all that hard work DID pay off! The market is flooded with homes.

I'm sorry about your daughter with her stutter. It can be frustrating to her... I know a couple of adults who stutter, not all the time, but they get caught on specific letters. Extremely intelligent people, I might add.

victoria said...

blogging ... it takes time and energy. I think that's the bottom line, for me. please don't be disappointed in yourself. I remember your blog last year during this time. it's amazing how fast this past year has flown by! I enjoy everything you do on here, because it's you. wherever you are at any given time is never better or worse ... It's ALL lovely and real.

victoria said...

I suppose you didn't want to rent your house out? we are renting the house we are in now. It's great for the owners because in a few years, it will regain it's worth. Right now, if they sold it, they'd have to list it for 100,000 less than they paid for it in 2004!!!

Jessie said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. Blogging consistently is hard. I think you did great! Waaaaaay better than I ever have!

Ps. Pumpkin anything is nummy nummy! Have fun!

Patricia said...

Great to hear that you may be done with your house in Florida soon!, and that your pumpkin cooking adventure is going well! I know what you mean about blogging regularly; it's tougher than I thought!