Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Book Review:: Promise Not to Tell

Kate Cypher returns home to rural Vermont to take care of her mom, who is suffering from Alzheimer's. Soon after arriving, a young girl is brutally murdered and the circumstances surrounding it are very similar to the unsolved murder of Kate's school friend, Del Griswold, that took place three decades earlier. As even more frightening things begin to happen, Kate finds herself needing to get to the bottom of both mysteries, for the sake of her own life.

I had mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, the story was interesting, I was immediately pulled in, and I couldn't wait to find out who had committed the murders and why. On the other hand, certain parts of the book never really gained any momentum and parts that could have been sort of chilling and scary, ended up falling flat.

For instance, fairly early on you get the impression that the person behind the gruesome crimes is not entirely human. There are talks of a ghost and of one of the main characters being possessed by the spirit of Del Griswold. When the truth finally comes out, it should have been much scarier than it was. The events themselves were really scary, the way they are written about is barely scary. Maybe just Lifetime movie scary. The way the reader never really gets the big, frightening payoff, makes me think of this as a Young Adult book, but yet it isn't.

All in all though, this wasn't a bad book. I just don't feel it lived up to what it was marketed as, which was a "terrifying" and "suspenseful" ghost story. So yeah, it's a decent, easy to read story, but if you're looking for bone chilling terror, you may need to go elsewhere.

5 comments:

Aleta said...

I'm not much for horror books. My imagination gets the best of me, so maybe, this light thriller might be a good one for me. Thanks for the review!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I don't want bone-chilling scariness....These days I'm opting for British cozies. 'Tis the season I guess. Always good to see what else is out there.

daphne said...

I used to have this book but never got around to reading it. Sounds like that's probably a-okay. :)

Tammie said...

daphne: yea, decent but forgettable.

Dani said...

I've read that book. I felt the same way. It *should* have been much scarier.

I was pulled in as well, but by the end I was all...really, that's the end?