Monday, September 13, 2010

Walking

We live a very short distance from the girl's school. Literally, I can see it from the end of our street so it really makes no sense to drive there.

In the mornings, the walk can be busy. There are many other parents walking with their kids, and a lot of kids walking on their own. There are always people to talk to and flowers and leaves to stop and look at. I have to constantly get on to the girl to keep up the pace or we'll be late.

But come mid-morning, it's a different story. Except for one or two other people going to pick up their kindergartners, the street is empty. There's no crossing guard to talk to and no buses are zipping by. It's quickly become my favorite part of the day. Not only is it one of the few times that I'm truly alone, but it's also a time when there is nothing that I have to do. Well, other than head in the direction of the school.

This morning I took my camera with me. I've been spotting small signs of autumn and I wanted to document it.
The seasonal changes in Florida aren't real visible. Things go from alive and green to dead and brown pretty quickly and it's rare to see all the different colors. But here in Oregon, it's obviously a different story.
There are a lot of fruit bearing trees in my neighborhood. As you can see in the picture below, this one is already dropping fruit.They look like miniature apples but Jay tasted one and said it seemed like an unripened pear. (And no, Jay doesn't make a habit of picking things up off the ground and putting them in his mouth. Not usually.)

Right now, the majority of the trees lining the sidewalk are still green, but I wonder what they'll look like in a month or two. This is all so new to me, so I can't wait to find out.Have you seen any signs of fall where you are?

16 comments:

Dani said...

Nope. Not a one. It is currently 93*...111* if you count the heat index, which you *have* to count because there is no way it's just 93*.

It's gross.

And I'm jealous.

Veronica said...

Nope. Still dreadfully hot and humid here in the 'Ville. I'm envious of you and your seasonal changes!

Tammie said...

dani: i feel your pain. i suffered through many, many years of that.

veronica: ugh. im sorry. i read that this past summer was gainesvilles hottest one on record. im sure its been miserable.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Fall is everywhere around me....The Adirondacks are the best place to truly experience a change of season. If you're ever in upstate NY, I expect you to call me. Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall -- the seasons are so beautiful here.

Daphne said...

So pretty! You are going to LOVE your first fall and winter in Oregon.

It's starting to turn here too. The Japanese maples are all red, and fall is definitely in the air. I'm hoping to have slightly colder weather out east (but not too cold!).

Dysfunctional Mom said...

Yeah, not so much, but you knew that. LOL That's probably one of the only things I dislike about living here....no beautiful fall colors.

mandy said...

it's no longer 80 at night here. which is a start.
i saw one fallen leaf on the pavement on our evening walk yesterday...we'll be in prime time awesome leafdome in about a month here. we need a crisp frost before the trees do their awesome fall thing.

i love that photo of the tree with the fallen red leaves.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Yep, I have the windows open right now. The humidity is lower and wonderful and the trees are changing colors. They don't get as vibrant as when I lived up north. Oh how I miss the north east!! No great Burnt Red Maples leaves but at least it is different. Less acorns on the ground here too so the winter shouldn't be as bad this year. (yes, my fingers are crossed)

When I lived in Seattle the grass stayed green. I wonder if it will be the same in Portland? The leaves only changed to yellow and some light orange in Seattle. But it was still change and I love that!!! Most of all I loved the return of lots more snow on the mountain tops.

kraftykash said...

I would love fruit trees. :) The only sign of fall here is that its pitch black out in the morning at 6:15am. I hate getting up early.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

So far the only sign of fall here is that football has started. Just seeing your photos makes me believe fall is on its way.

Ms. Diva said...

I am so envious! I love Oregon (and Washington!) We have seasons here in the high desert but not as much green!!! Can't wait for the cold to get here!!!!

Hotch Potchery said...

It was 64 degrees at 6 am yesterday---and college football!

Dawn said...

Screw you, Tammie, screw you!!

Tammie said...

dawn: HA HA HA.please pack up and move to oregon!!!!

hester said...

I loved this post. I love having a glimpse into what your neighbourhood looks like. How lovely to be seeing your first Oregon autumn! I'd be envious except for the fact that we are having gorgeous Spring weather and I don't have to put my feet on cold timber floors when I get out of bed.

April said...

We have a few sparse leaves on the ground and a little bit of color here in NC. But my absolute favorite thing is the mornings are working hard towards being a bit cooler, despite the 90+ afternoons. Oh, and my allergies are in full swing, that is a BIG sign of the weather change for me ;) Beautiful photos by the way!