Monday, September 6, 2010

Self Portrait: September

It's that time again. Time for me to slap a photo of my mug up in this spot and dissect it mercilessly. I'm starting to feel sort of self indulgent doing this. Even though it's my blog, I'm not really comfortable having all eyes on me. I'm much happier talking about other things. But I'm standing by the idea that this is a good exercise for me. At least for now.

Anyway, here's the photo:
*This was taken today and is, amazingly enough, the first shot I took. That is just unheard of around here. Normally I take the full twenty (the limit I set for this project back in July)and then just settle on whichever one makes me ill the least. Again, I don't think I look gorgeous in this picture, but I look like how I think I look. Sometimes I think there is this huge difference between how I see myself and how others see me. Like, have you ever had someone compliment you on your appearance on a day when you feel like you just crawled out of a dumpster? Whenever that happens it always completely throws off my view of myself.

*My hair is red now. More specifically it's Garnier Nutrisse number 76-Hot Tamale. My son loves it and thinks I look like a rock star. This has me concerned because his idea of fine style includes things like mustaches, Ed Hardy shirts, and lots of Axe body spray. This may have been a style misstep on my part.

*My hair is at a weird length while I try to decide what to do with it. Part of me wants to grow it out-I'm thinking a chin length bob-but an even bigger part of me wants to have Jay give me the Natalie Maines haircut. (Did anyone else see her on Larry King the other night? She has a straight up buzz cut. And I love it. Here's a semi recent picture.)

*I know I look tired. I haven't been sleeping well. Firstly, I've been drinking way too much Diet Pepsi Max which has been keeping me awake. Then last Friday we tried out a new dog food which disagreed with Liz Lemon so I was up at one in the morning scraping poop out of the carpet as best I could without lugging the steam cleaner out. After that I just couldn't go back to sleep so I watched the last half of a Ricky Gervais comedy special and then played Call of Duty until four. I haven't had a good nights sleep since then.

*One more thing, while I was taking this shot I was listening to Animal Collective, whom I'm really into right now because they remind me of The Beta Band, which is a band I listened to a lot of right after my son was born.

18 comments:

daphne said...

Ooh, I love the hair!! And I like the longer bangs, too. Cute picture. I am going natural on the hair color but I'm tempted to go red. Probably won't, but I love it.

Our new house has carpet. I'm worried. Carpet + pets = mess. Oh well.

Lia said...

I LOVE your hair, especially the color! And the bangs. I do not, however, like the buzz on Natalie Maines. I would never in a million years have the guts to do that. I'm sure it feels amazing, though.

Tammie said...

daphne: thank you. i think im going to keep growing it until my bangs can go behind my ear. then i will decide what to do next.

lia: thanks. ive shaved my head before. its very liberating. plus, hair grows fast so its never really short for too long.

Tammie said...

daphne also: trust me, invest in a steam cleaner. owning one will save you money in the long run, especially if you plan on getting a dog. and when you do buy one, make sure you get one with attachments so you can do your couch as well.

Dani said...

I'm loving your hair!

The color is fantastic...and I like the length.

I'm growing mine back out to my bob length. I like it short...but it's too much work to keep up with while school is in session.

daphne said...

I was just thinking we needed to look into one of those...

Dysfunctional Mom said...

I love that hair color, and I hate Ed Hardy, if that helps at all.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

That color is awesome! Your boy-child is right -- even though he's joined the ranks of the Axe-loving generation (my 12 year old ODs on it regularly).

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I like the color of your hair Tammie. The Boy has great taste....okay in hair color that is.

I like the length of the front. Isn't finding a new person to cut your hair stressful?

I wonder if Natalie Maines did this just to be free or was there another reason? I don't care for it but my God I would love it. My hair is always a stress factor in my life. My hair grows so slowly.
To just not to do anything more than just wash it and go would be divine. If only I was pretty enough to do that. I am not!

I am in an ugly stage right now because it's no longer a style. It's grown out of the style and it's just a brown helmet on my head. I know there will be more ugly stages and I don't know that I will live through them. You will not see photo's until I either cut it again or it grows out. I may be 65 by then at this rate. :-)

Mari said...

Cute hair, cute pic! I am so impressed with this photo project, as a person who hates photos of herself! You are very brave, and all of the photos have been great. I've grown mine out, like it, but it only takes one bad hair day to have the urge to chop it all off. So, is the photo-phobia getting any better?

Tammie said...

you do all realize that the fact that you are poo pooing the natalie maines, only makes me want to do it more.

cyndy: yes that does help.

peggy: the growing out stage isnt fun and i feel your pain. everytime i decide to grow it out, i almost always ending up cutting it again half way through.

mari: eh. i still kinda dread it but not as much as i used to.

Jem at Luna Pacifica said...

Hot Tamale! I love it! I wish I was brave enough to shave my head!

kraftykash said...

I love the hair color. I also love the self portrait idea. I just did my own. Thanks for the inspiration

Maria Rose said...

1) I like your new color a lot!
2) I often fantasize about a buzz cut too!
3) I totally went through a Beta Band phase. We saw them at the Gorge in WA and I loved them.

mandy said...

LOVE your hair!

Shalet said...

I meant to stop by yesterday and tell you how I love this photo. Your hair looks fabulous! The color and cut are both excellent.

I like this self-portrait idea. Could I remember to do it once a month? Doubtful. ;o)

victoria said...

Love your hair, really. I can't believe you got that color out of a box. It's so perfect and pretty!

Love love Ricky Gervais! Sorry you're not sleeping. Yeah, it's probably the caffeine, huh? Since being preg, and now with little baby, I spend so many nights rolling around wishing I could fall asleep! Hate it.

We just found out yesterday that G got the transfer! Uhhggg! I'll have to post about it. Thank god. I was going to ask you about your POD experience. Do you recommend?

;-))

Theresa said...

I really like this pic of you, and the color of your hair.