Thursday, September 9, 2010

Random Thoughts

*I may be crazy because I just committed to doing NaBloWriMo. Blogging every day for the month of October. I did it last year and ended up loving the challenge, so as much as I was inclined to take a pass this year, I just couldn't do it. Now the question is, what am I going to write about for 31 straight days? I need to start stockpiling topics, so if there is anything you want to know about me, now is the time to ask. (I have a feeling I'll be making a lot of Lists next month.) And of course the more the merrier, so if you think you're up for the challenge, then by all means head over and sign up.

*There's only one more episode of True Blood. After this Sunday I'm going to have to go elsewhere for my weekly dose of bloody, violent vampire sex. Or maybe I can just print and cut some True Blood paper dolls and play True Blood the home version.

*Last week I made a Wacky Cake, after seeing it mentioned over on Mandy's site. I love the idea of a cake without eggs and milk. I decided to not frost it, and just sprinkled some powdered sugar on top. The kids loved it and even fought over the last piece.Jay wasn't as thrilled. When I mentioned that it was a recipe from the Great Depression, when expensive ingredients were hard to come by, he said something about being able to taste the depression. Whatever.

*A lot of you have asked what I'll be doing with myself now that both kids are in school. And the answer is sadly, not much. The girl is only in half day kindergarten from 8:20 until 10:40. That doesn't give me much time. But I'm definitely making the most of it and I'll take what bit of alone time I can get.

*The woman that lives below us also has a kindergartner and she and I walked the kids to school together this morning. You all know that I'm a bit of a loner and a social freak so this was a huge step for me. I learned that she sews too, has been doing so on and off since she was a teenager, and right now she's in the middle of making Halloween costumes. I was so excited to learn this because now, at the very least, we'll always have something to talk about. Sometimes I think it's so much harder for women to make friends because the interests of women can be so varied. I mean, men can almost always find some common ground talking about sports, beer, and grilling.

*The downside to my new friendship is that I cannot remember her name. She mentioned it when I first moved in five months ago but I've forgotten. The last time her son was playing at our house I sort of casually asked what his moms name was and he told me, but I couldn't totally understand what he said. (Keep in mind, he's five.) Then he said, "But I just call her Mommy." Yeah, I don't think that will work for me.

12 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

oh this made me laugh.
I am so bad at names.
You may just have to ask her which is a bit ackward but tell her you've been drinking a lot and with the black outs and all it is so damn difficult to remember the littlest things.

Jay's comment sounded like that lovely book you just reviewed about tasting emotions. :-)

I know you always say you are a social freak but it truly is hard to believe.

How cool to make a friend that lives so close.

How about pictures and story on those halloween costumes that I know you'll end up making!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I hate not remembering names. Hate it. And I'm so bad at remembering. Here's the thing....I'm in human resources. I've sat through countless interviews and unless the candidate's resume is right in front of me, I completely draw a blank. Truly pathetic, I tell you. Is there a mailbox you can sneak a peak into to get her name? Another neighbor you can ask? Good luck with that one.

I don't have many women friends either....No one in this podunk town shares the same interests as me. I'm actually looking forward to sub-freezing weather so I have an excuse not to socialize. I can just stay inside and do my own thing.

Daphne said...

I was going to suggest the mailbox trick too -- I had some neighbors once that I talked to almost every day, but I could NOT remember their names!! It was terrible. Finally one night I snuck over after dark when they weren't home and got their names off an envelope.

We are social spazes as well and I am sure it will take awhile to make friends in our new town. I'm hoping to get involved in the downtown arts group (is there one??) and maybe that will kickstart things. So far I know there is an ancient lady next door on one side, and a family that is moving out, on the other. So, hmm.

Dani said...

Hate it when that happens (the name thing).

I wish that I could have some of my students for just half a day. Well, two of them. They are the turdiest little turds.

I'm trying the wacky cake. I love weird shit like that. And so does my Mr. Score.

Taste the depression. Ha!

Dani said...

Oh, and I'm not sure why...but most women really don't like me. At least not enough to be good friends with. Casual friends, yes...but a real "let's hang out" friendship...no.

Not sure why. Sometimes I get a bit of a complex, but then go hang out with the boys and stop giving a rat's ass.

Dysfunctional Mom said...

I am trying not to laugh at the 'taste the depression' remark..but it is pretty funny.
I'm so bad with names, too. When you finally find out what it is, write it down! lol

Lia said...

* I can't wait to read those 31 posts. That would be way too hard for me.

* That cake looks awesome. I especially love baked goods topped with powdered sugar.

* I'm terrible with names of people older than ten.

* Good luck with your new friendship. Just let go and try to enjoy it.

Maria Rose said...

Here's what I do when I have forgotten a name. I talk with Eric in advance and we plan a meeting where I introduce them (don't panic it's brilliant) and then we run into the nameless individual and I say," Oh hi, this is my husband. " Here is where it's all about timing. Eric will interrupt saying something like, "Hi I'm Eric and you are?" Nameless person introduces herself. Eric goes, "Oh yes, of course." Which makes it seem like I've been saying good things about her. I reciprocate the favor for him. Works like a charm!!!

Not Hannah said...

What I always try to do when I forget a name is dump it on the kids. Like, say to The Girl when neighbor is around, "Why don't you ask her about her cat (flowers? favorite color? Do you remember her name?" And then you can totally do the whole "teachable moment how to introduce yourself" thing. WIN!

kraftykash said...

Im horrible at remembering names too! You could go look in her mailbox, but then she might think you are weird. LOL Just ask. :) 31 days of blogging.....hmmmmm.
I want to know about things that make you happy and dance around the house. :)

mandy said...

love that you made the wacky cake. i love how crazy easy it is to make. and i love what your husband said about it.

also i like your thoughts about women's interests. i've thought about this alot. i think that because our work is often undervalued other women get overly weird towards crafty women as if we are trying to be more womanly or something, when actually i think most of us find joy and resourcefulness in cooking and crafting. i can't tell you how many times i've heard 'oh you made that ____ you are such a good mom' and this comment makes me really sad. no, i made this because it's just what i do and please don't dislike me because of it.

Crystal said...

I think you should try and call her Mommy.... See what happens and report back.

Hahahaha! ;)