Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Newport

Friday we decided to squeeze in one last day trip so we piled into the car and headed out to Newport to hit the aquarium. Let me just take a moment to say that I have no idea how we ever made the five day car ride to Oregon because now it seems we can't drive two hours without the children arguing over the prime real estate that is the backseat of our car.

The backseat fighting coupled with road construction made it seem as if we were in the car forever, so I think we were all a bit disappointed with the fact that we were in and out of the aquarium in about an hour. (It was on the list though, so I can cross that off as done. ) It's a nice aquarium and all, and if I lived closer I'd probably buy family passes, but I don't see us making the drive too often. It probably didn't help that the aquarium has this huge Swampland exhibit going on right now that totally bored my crew because, um, hello we just left Florida which is nothing but a giant Swampland. (As a side note to this: The boy says that whenever anyone finds out he's from Florida they ask him if he's seen an alligator. When he tells them he's seen so many that it's hardly a big deal, they stare at him in awe. They also ask him why he isn't tanner.)My son is looking so adult in the picture below. Scary. After we left the aquarium we had lunch at Rogue Ales Brewery (probably the highlight for Jay)and then went to the beach to let the kids run around a bit. The beach here is so different from the beaches I'm used to down in the south. I don't think it's ever going to be bikini weather here. (Yay!)It was pretty cool at the beach that day. The temperature of the water was 51 degrees. Of course that didn't stop the kids from running in it. I'm still so surprised at how the kids aren't bothered by the cold temperatures. How did we ever survive in Florida as long as we did?Below is a glimpse of my daughter's new favorite tee shirt. She says Bart is asking, "May I have two kisses Mommy?" See, she says things like that and I just have to forgive her slightly over bearing personality and shrill banshee voice. (See previous post.)

All in all, it was a lovely day and a nice end to the summer. Even if our car still is filled with sand.

(School starts in one week. Woo-hoo.)

11 comments:

Lia said...

I cannot tell you how awesome it must be to have school start AFTER Labor Day, the way God intended it for crying out loud. I wish I knew what dumbass had the bright idea to make kids in Texas go back to school when it's still 105* outside with a heat index of 110*. Then we take them out for their whopping 30 minutes of recess at noon and they're all at the brink of passing out. Shear genius.

I realize this comment had very little to do with what you were talking about, but this was my reaction to your last sentence.

The aquarium looks like a nice place to visit.

daphne said...

I love that aquarium, but the last time I was there Keiko the killer whale was there, so that was kind of a big deal. :)
I love that comment from your daughter. She is a cutie. I haven't said anything about the alligators for fear of seeming naive, but alligators seem so exotic!
And no, it will never be bikini weather at the coast. Not even here in SF! Although I fully expect the lake out at Livermore to be hot and perfect for swimming...

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Yes, back seat property is prime. But so is the shotgun seat. Watch out! I've even lost my driver's seat. Dang.

The countdown to school is upon us. We're starting on Sept. 7 -- I'm with you. Can't wait!!!

Dysfunctional Mom said...

Love the jellyfish.

Maria Rose said...

Oooh I love the Oregon coast, how lucky you are to be there!

Mari said...

I forgot about the back seat sniping. Your brain blocks these things out when they are older! My kids are in week two of school, it has been nice. I loved those beaches as a kid. My other favorite thing in Oregon was a place near Tualatin where you had to use a little ferry to cross the river. There was also a place we went to pick berries - awesome! Of course, if there are still fields around, there should be wild blackberry brambles. They were everywhere when I was a kid.

victoria said...

When I read this I instantly thought of Monterey Bay Aquarium. I love to take tours out to whale watch there as well. Seriously, one of my favorite places in the entire world. That said, whenever I'm there, I'm like, "oh, there are the jelly fish again, and that enormous fake whale hanging from the ceiling", and all the people everywhere are irritating ... but when I leave, I can't wait to go back. In other words, aquariums aren't all too exciting, I don't think.

Looking forward to hearing about your new found freedom next week. I'm sure you have some quiet day trips planned during the fall. Oh, it's going to be so nice and chilly for you.

I really love the oceans out there too. Probably because I'm not a big fan of swimming in the ocean. I really hate to admit that though. I can't remember how many years it's been since I sat on the beach during the day in FL. I'm from south east FL so it was nice to skinny dip late at night sometimes when the water was 80 degrees and calm. But I think I've somewhat outgrown that hippie part of my life.

I'm with you on the heat and humidity. After I left, I would go back for a visit and literally feel sick from it. I also agree that high heat can be oppressive. yuck!

Dani said...

I agree with Lia. School should start after Labor Day and end by Memorial Day.

Your pictures totally captured the mood of the day. I loved them!

We rarely go to aquariums. The Mr. is the biggest aquarium snob (that's his gig, ya know), so most public aquariums are picked apart to the point that it's not all that fun...for me at least. Plus, the kids live with aquariums, so it's old hat to them.

mandy said...

man, kids sure can make a car ride long can't they?
aquariums, in general, kind of freak me out. being on eye level with large fish, it's weird.
your bikini comment made me laugh out loud. love it.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

The photo's you took were great. I must admit the one of your family in the distance in my fav with the waves rolling on shore.

Run Lori Run said...

You were over in my neck of the woods! We're going to Newport next weekend, one last hurrah before the weather changes. Yep, it's always chilly around our Oregon beaches but it's less crowded that way I guess!