Sunday, September 26, 2010

New Sewing Machine

Last week the FedEx man left a new sewing machine on my doorstep. The machine, being a surprise gift from my mother in law. This is significant for a couple of reasons:

1. Um, new sewing machine. Hello? How awesome is that?

2. My mother in law and I haven't always seen eye to eye, so it was definitely a kind, sweet gesture. (Thanks again mother in law!)

Jay brought home some sort of swine flu from work and I've been sick all weekend so I haven't had a lot of time to really use it yet, but in my few moments of Day Quil fueled mental clarity I was able to play around with it a bit. It has about 100 different stitches and some of them are just too pretty:I foresee this opening up a whole new world for me.

I also mended a shirt of mine and that took about two seconds. The new machine is so quiet and easy to use that I almost feel as if I can't take credit for the results. I'm much more motivated to give patterns another shot now.

There was also a gift within a gift in the form of the styrofoam that was surrounding the machine. The girl has taken it and made a castle for all of her freaky toys:Of course the styrofoam portion of the gift will be trashed as soon as I'm sick of finding little white styrofoam balls all over the apartment. Which will happen soon. Very, very soon.

8 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Serious sewing machine envy. My crappy Viking is in the shop for an overhaul -- maybe it's just out of alignment, hence the crap sewing jobs I've been producing. (Then I can rest assured it's not be afterall). Have fun with that baby.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

"Day Quil fueled mental clarity"

I love that line!! (writing teacher would too...tee hee)

Shalet said...

How exciting! I *love* all those fancy stitches! My machine can sew a straight (ish) line and a zig zag. That's it. Enjoy!

Maria Rose said...

Congratulations, I think a good sewing machine makes all the difference in the world.

Oh and those toys are freaky, just in case you needed a second opinion.

daphne said...

How fun. Love the fancy stitches!

Dani said...

Score. Fo sho.

Can't wait to see how you put that baby to good use.

And feel better soon, yo.

Jem at Luna Pacifica said...

Congrats! This is great! I'm still using my mom's hand me down machine!

hester said...

What a thoughtful Mother-in-law! Lucky you. You'll be sewing up a storm.

My children have the same freaky Wubbsie type toys and also love playing with annoying styrofoam packaging. I've been sewing as well after about 6 months of laziness so your house is mirroring mine today.