Monday, September 20, 2010

Fruit Loop

This past Sunday we paid the boy $20 to babysit his sister so that Jay and I could drive an hour away to go to the Hood River Fruit Loop Pear Celebration.

The Fruit Loop is a scenic 35 mile drive through Hood River Valley with stops along the way at orchards, fruit stands, working farms, wineries, and lavender fields. Over the course of just a few hours, Jay and I took almost 100 pictures. Because I don't want to cram all of them into one long winded (and probably boring) post, I'm breaking it up and will be sharing them with you throughout the week. So if you tire easily of fruit and flower photos, you may want to avoid this place for the next few days.

Our first stop was Pearl's Place, where we began to load up on fruit.
Really, how could we resist these colors?
I used to think that all fruits were created equal, but honestly even the fruit is better up here. I really didn't know what I was missing my whole life by eating dry, mealy apples.

10 comments:

daphne said...

Beautiful! So fun to watch you enjoying things so much. Just wait until you make a pie with real, fresh Northwest apples. Yum.

victoria said...

I'm glad you had a nice weekend. How is it when you're in a blogging funk, you manage to spin out something worth reading every 1-3 days?

I think everything food is better out there. From fruit to fresh seafood.

Mercury is killing me. I'm a Gemini so I'm extra sensitive. Mercury rules Gemini ... just another one of my life's little fuck overs ;-)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

oh we can handle a few more photo's!

We had a friend when we lived in Seattle who's family owned orchards and he would go to eastern WA and visit and then bring us big brown bags of apples. Oh my what a difference. There was a store that then made these fruit candies called aplets and cotlets of these apples. OOOOOH so good!!!

I've been here 10 yrs now and I think i have discovered everything. time to move! :-)

Maria Rose said...

Ooo I will be here every day because I am crazy about OR!!!

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Beautiful and ready for more photos.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Sorry -- but I'm very partial to apples from New York State (something about being the Big Apple State). But, your outing sounds likes a lot of fun.

Dani said...

Pearl's Place: how could it not have amazing goods with a name like that?

Lovely new banner.

Just Plain Tired said...

That seems like a fine way to spend the day. Nice looking flowers and fruits.

Tammie said...

daphne: yes, yum.

victoria: i had a busy few days that made for good writing fodder.
and yes, mercury wiped me out too. i feel a lot better now though.

peggy: they still sell aplets and cotlets. maybe some cool gal will send you a box. hmmm...are they gluten free? i think so...

maria rose: it really is wonderful.

jodi: ha ha. your apples probably are better. but florida apples, by the time you get them from wherever they actually originated, are usually dry and kinda ick.

just plain tired: it really was the most relaxing day ive had in a while.

Visty said...

I hated apples my whole life in Florida until I moved to Washington. Then I was all, wow, THIS is an apple?

However, tomatoes are not as good here. Not by a long shot. And I am partial to Florida citrus instead of California. But man, I do love living where I can get all kinds of yummy fresh fruit.