Monday, August 23, 2010

Listing

Reading:: The Thorn Birds. Initially I was intimidated by the 692 pages of this book, but it's an easy, interesting read. (Plus it's on my List, which I'm slowly getting through.)

Watching:: Henry and June. A very sexy movie. Not to be confused with Benny and Joon, which was not sexy at all.

Drinking:: My beloved pumpkin beer. A sure sign that fall is right around the corner.

Enjoying:: My new-to-me Pyrex.I was so excited when Jay spotted this at Goodwill. It's in great shape and was only $7.99. That's quite a steal around here, I've seen them priced as high as $18, which I'm just not willing to pay.

Baking:: Vegan Carob Chip Cookies.Just like the oatmeal raisin ones from last week, only I omitted the cinnamon and replaced the raisins with carob chips. I really like the base of this cookie recipe and I think a lot can be done with it. Plus, I love having a vegan go-to recipe.(FYI: Did you know if you keep a slice of bread in the cookie jar with your homemade cookies, it will keep them soft and they won't turn puck-like? Consider that Tammie's Tip of the Day.)

Rekindling my love affair with:: My yoga ball. Since moving to Oregon, it's been living on the back porch. I finally brought it inside and immediately remembered why I love it so much. Just a few stretches over it always knocks my back into place. Plus, doing sit ups on it does wonders for my stomach.

Happy that:: Peppermint scented Dr Bronner's was on sale for half off. Anxiously awaiting:: The first day of school. I'm tired of answering questions like, "Why are you taking pictures of the cookies/that dish/the cleanser?" All of these silly things I like to do can be done much quicker without children around.

How are you filling your days?

23 comments:

Not Hannah said...

You know, I am really interested in using whole wheat flour more, but every time I bake with it, I get this...floury, bitter, icky taste. Is it just something I'm going to have to get used to?

Tammie said...

hmmm. maybe. have you tried starting out with half wheat half white? it makes a HUGE difference. i rarely use only whole wheat, in fact this is the only recipe ive ever used where i can do all whole wheat and not get complaints from the family.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I am always embarressed when I bring out my pyrex....is it in style again....if it's retro I rock! I have that stuff from my wedding shower ....my first marriage that is.

What is Dr. Bronners? Never heard of it. I guess that will be an afternoon google.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Haha -- so true about the picture-taking thing. I've been known to crawl around on my belly for a decent picture (which usually doesn't turn out so great anyway despite my efforts). My kids don't get it, but they no longer ask. Love that Pyrex. I have a matching mixing bowl, but haven't stumbled upon the casserole dish -- with a lid. Lucky find. My friend went to a huge antique show on Saturday and found gobs of Pyrex. She was going to get me some, but ended up getting in a fight with the dealer who wanted to charge her $24 for a piece that was marked $15. She stood her ground, but walked away empty handed. So sad.

Tammie said...

jodi: im glad someone understands. :)

peggy: YES! its in style. in fact, very sought after. you could make quite a bit of money if you ever wanted to sell it.
Dr Bronners is all purpose soap. you can use it for everything from laundry to body cleansing. its wonderful and smells great. i dont always buy it cause it's $16 a bottle.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

oh my goodness who knew? well you guys I guess. I have a ton of pyrex from the 70's. I didn't know I had anything valuable. and worse yet I gave a ton of it away. (city mission, purple heart to sell)
I think I'm sick.

Dani said...

School has begun. I'm filled to the brim with all things kindergarten. Not my first choice.

I gotta try those cookies. I'm putting them on the "to bake" list.

Score on the Pyrex.

That movie is **hot**.

Theresa said...

AWw, I love the movie, Benny and Joon. It's been on my favorites list for years. I'm filling my days timing contractions and hoping that *this* time it's the real deal. LOL

Maria Rose said...

The sex scene in Benny and Joon really creeped me out.
I made vegan chocolate chip cookies today too and I'll use your stay moist tip.
PS I dislike the word moist.

Mari said...

One started school today, one starts on Wednesday. Whoopee!!
Cookies look very tasty, yum.

victoria said...

really like the pyrex, great color, great price!

yoga balls are the easiest on my neck for sit ups. currently I don't have one. so clearly I just can't do sit ups right now.

I don't think you are getting my posts anymore. I miss you over at beloved one. :-(

I'm going to try to go more bloggy. :-)

nigel said...

Pyrex! What about using locally made pottery? Beautifully made and not expensive. A great alternative to someting made by the million in a far off factory. www.sidestreetstudio.com

Tammie said...

victoria:i dont think i am either. i'll have to look into that. ive noticed that happens to me from time to time,i wont get updates from certain people and then one day i'll get their last few blogs all at once. its very frsutrating.

mandy said...

digging your list here.

i'd take chocolate chips over raisins any day, no contest. thanks for the recipe. i'm gonna give it a go.

love that camera comment. my littles are too little to know the difference, but i know they'll be grown the day they say mama why are you taking a photo of the butter.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I've never seen Henry and June but did like Benny and Joon. I love Pyrex...I just brought some back from my mom's place. Pumpkin beer? That sounds tasty and it makes me want a chill in the air.

heather said...

i haven't seen henry and june in years. gosh, probably about 15 or so. is it that old? am i that old? hmm... well, your mention of it sure took me back. and yes, very sexy.

Daphne said...

I love the Pyrex! And you know I loved The Thorn Birds. (sorry I've been away... craziness! Nebraska! The works!) :)

Lia said...

I love you, Tammie, but we just aren't meshing much here.

The book- never read
The movie- never seen
The beer- sounds yuck to me
The Pyrex- *love*
The cookies- another yuck to me
The first day of school- wasn't exactly a happy event for me either

But it's still fun to see what you're into right now.

Tammie said...

the cookies are really really good. i promise!

i love you too.

:)

Lia said...

And I love your new header! Is it by the boy?

Tammie said...

ha. yeah. it was part of an anniversary card he made for us back in july.

Lia said...

Well crap. How the hell did I miss that?

Super Mom | Maternity Belly Bands said...

This is my first time to visit your blog and I actually like it. I have a knack in searching for blogs related to Tummy Tankz.