Monday, August 2, 2010

List One: Ten Cheesy Songs I Love

1. Rocket Man by Elton John. The rest of this list is in no particular order, but I had to give Rocket Man the number one spot. What it's about, I couldn't say. But I'll keep singing it loud and proud. And when it's over, I'll back it up and play it again.

2. Magnet and Steel by Walter Egan. This is the only song on the list that I'm actually kind of embarrassed to admit to liking. (Here's the video. Be warned: It's wicked bad.)

3. New Moon on Monday by Duran Duran. Oh Duran Duran, I love you and all of your completely indecipherable, make-no-sense lyrics. This particular song made the list though because Simon Le Bon actually utters the phrase, "I couldn't really put it much plainer." Um, Simon, yeah, I think you could put it much, much plainer. But that's ok, I still heart you. (Bizarre-o lyrics are here.)

4. Rock DJ by Robbie Williams. Corny lyrics (I got the gift, gonna stick it in the goal....HA!) and a dance beat. I should totally hate this song. But I don't. In fact I love everything Robbie Williams does. He's cheeky and clever and he dances like my husband. Here's the video, which you should definitely watch because even though it's almost ten years old now, it's still awesome and weird. But be warned, the last minute or so is kinda icky. (Confession: I just watched it five times. I like icky.)

5.Sister Golden Hair by America. I love a lot of cheesy 70's songs, but I almost always have this one going through my head.

6.Pleasant Valley Sunday by The Monkees. How could I not have The Monkees on the list? This particular one made the cut though because of the happy music/slightly gloomy lyrics combo. (Lyrics here.)

7. A Different Drum by Linda Ronstadt. Sigh. I want a voice like Linda's. Interesting tidbit: This song was written by a man, Mike Nesmith of The Monkees. Which probably explains why Linda creepily refers to the man she's singing to as "pretty." (Here's the song.)

8. Mandy by Barry Manilow. Stop judging me.

9. Oh L'amour by Erasure. My devotion to Erasure has led Jay to ask me numerous times if perhaps I'm a gay man trapped in the body of a woman. This song is best when played in the car at top volume because it makes my son want to hurl himself from the vehicle. Extra points can be earned if I open the windows and drive by his school. The video is here. It's a re-mix, which I usually hate. But this one is Flaming and Fabulous. (Honorable mention goes to their song Star, because I love Andy Bell's white boy rap about God. Video here.)

10. Islands in the Stream by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. Possibly more evidence of my inner gay man? What can I say, my parents were country music fans. And, it's just a great song and Dolly is the best. (Video here.)

Make me feel less like a freak and tell me what cheesy songs you love.

19 comments:

Lia said...

Okay. I had never heard of this Robbie Williams before, but I was cackling out loud at the video and then at the end, gasping in slight horror. Ick is right, but the cheesy faces he makes during the rest of it are so damn funny, that it's so worth watching.

I did love Duran Duran, especially Rio, but Erasure was one of my middle school faves, especially Oh L'amour. Ah, good times. Perms and teased bangs, slouchy boots, Esprit, Benneton, and Units outfits from JC Penneys.

The Bitch Is Back is my favorite Elton song.

And personally, I really don't think it gets much better than Dolly. Islands in the Stream, Nine to Five, and my all time favorite- Jolene.

I loved this, by the way.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

This was a hoot.
Have heard of Robbie Williams from tabliod type stuff but now i know why he's famous....sort of.

I thought I was the only closest Barry Manilow fan.

Ah, Linda Rondstat - love her! I have that album. I remember her on Bandstand and other TV shows and always barefoot like Joss Stone is today. I so wanted to be her. Who knew Mike Nesmith wrote that? Wow. Did you also know his mother invented white out?

Great list. I couldn't do mine no one would know who they all were.

Alisha said...

I actually have that Robbie Williams song on a CD somewhere. I burned it. Voluntarily. Because I like it too :) Also love everything by Sir Elton John. Oh--and Duran Duran. Now I'll be singing "Ordinary World" for the rest of the day :)

Tammie said...

lia: im glad you liked the video. i was hoping a few people would watch it. its good cheesy fun and watching it puts me in an instant good mood.

(note: i went into an esprit outlet the other day and was surprised that it was no longer all eighties clothes. i have to say, i was a bit bummed out.)

jolene is the best song. it rips my heart out.

peggy: yeah robbie is very famous in the uk. i used to buy a lot of british tabloids just to keep up with it all.

i had no idea nesmiths mom invented white out. interesting random factoid.

you should totally make a list. i bet i would know at least a few of the songs.

alisha: yay! another robbie fan.

Maria Rose said...

I have no shame and I like some BAD music! Kudos to you fro going loud and proud!
PS All of those babies are on my list as well!

Not Hannah said...

OMG, that video is awesome and awful at the SAME TIME. Robbie Williams is hot. And gross. And hot. Wheeee!

Also, I dig "The Sign" by Ace of Base. That is all.

Daphne said...

Love this list. I especially agree with Erasure and Dolly... and I have to say that I can sing the entire "Gambler" song by heart, any time of day or night. :)

My list coming soon.

Tammie said...

not hannah: i know right!? Like, im repulsed, but i also kinda wanna lick him.

daphne: i think i could probably sing Gambler too. i also have an impressive knowledge of Crystal Gayle lyrics.

victoria said...

I have lists of 70's songs ... I call them "Songs That Played On The Radio While Riding In Mom's Duster On the Way To K-Mart When I Was Six." Or something like that. Serioulsy. I started a collection many years ago of the Time Life "Singers and Songwriters of the 60s and 70s. Lots of John Denver, Elton John, America, etc., etc., etc.

BTW, still no news on relocating. Hopefully we'll know more by the end of THIS week! ;-)

Becky..AMHW said...

I love Erasure.

At the moment though, the gay man in me has been enjoying that Paparazzi song by Lady Gaga. Do I enjoy Lady Gaga? Not really. But that song gets all caught up in my brain.

Then there is that song about wanting to take a ride on a disco stick and I get all giggly.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I had a boyfriend who loved (LOVED) Magnet and Steel. Now I'm going to be singing that song--or the few lines that I know--all day.

Don't know Robbie Williams.

Mandy--correction THAT will be in my head the rest of the day! While I was in love with Springsteen in high school my friend was crazy about Barry Manilow.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Icky is an understatement. I think I've heard the song before, but haven't seen that video.

Here's my abbreviated list of top hits:
Annie's Song - John Denver
One - U2
Evolution - U2
Satellite - DMB
Anything by Carly Simon, Supertramp, Edie Brickell, and old Police songs.

Mostly, I'm a product of the 80s.

Dani said...

Great list.

I'd have to give mine some thought...

I love that Linda R. song. I'll sing it real loud and annoy whoever is withing hearing distance.

Carla said...

Erasure loud in the car - there is no other way! A high school friend introduced me to them when we were in grade 12 and her car had a pimped out sound system so we would drive around listening to Erasure loudly! Thanks for triggering the memory.

Penny said...

I love lists...and I love cheesy songs. I would say that I really enjoy most of the songs on your list although there were a couple I wasn't sure of. I love pretty much all Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake. I love classic rock (minus The Rolling Stones) I love Journey and Boston and Poison and BonJovi and I could just go on and on!

victoria said...

I've eaten out alone many, many times. I just request a table that looks pretty secluded. Once I was placed right across from and facing another guy who was also eating alone. So it was awkward. I got up and moved to the other side of my booth. Then my back was to his table. I felt sort of jerk-ish, but what was I supposed to say? Um, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm moving so we don't feel like two weirdos? Sometimes I bring in something to do and others I just read the menu and stare out a window. I also like going to the movies alone. I used to do that a lot. It's been years though.

I like many of the things on your list!

victoria said...

oops! I clicked on the wrong post .. well, you get the picture. ;-))

craftytammie said...

i always ask my husband to sing islands in the stream with me if there's kareoke, but he won't.

i went through a duran duran phase, followed shortly after by a monkees phase. i even went to their reunion concert. yep.

and troy teases me a lot because i heart whitesnake. i always wanted to be tawny kitaen on the hood of a car on mtv. my new whitesnake would have to be nickelback, another one i'm ashamed to admit i like.

oh, and that justin bieber song baby baby oh? (i'm not sure what it's called) but it gets stuck in my head for days on end. i first heard it at the skating rink and it's actually perfect for that setting.

i better stop now before i say something i will really regret.

Sage said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's willing to publicly admit loving Pleasant Valley Sunday and Mandy... lol!

I also love the Carpenters!