Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Twelve Year Old Boy

Living with a twelve year old boy can be tough. There are the Beavis and Butthead impersonations and the never ending conversations about video games. You'll probably hear a lot of songs by Tenacious D. You may even learn all the lyrics and find yourself singing along, against your will of course. You have to constantly nag your twelve year old boy to eat healthier, limit the soda, wash their hair, brush their teeth, do their chores, read more, be nice to their little sister, etc. You have to get used to hearing jokes about farts, butts, poop, weiners, and boobs. You must become accustomed to someone snickering every time they hear the word tool. Oh, and you absolutely must be prepared to hear the phrase, That's what she said, at least once a day. Frankly, the twelve year old boy is one annoying critter.But, if you're lucky, you may end up with a twelve year old boy who is kind and sweet. One who will stay up late making you a homemade card.

One who loves animals and adoringly cares for his stupid little chihuahua even though she doesn't deserve it and repays him by loving everyone else in the family more.

One who, despite the many arguments and complaints, truly loves his sister and really doesn't mind her-in fact, will look out for her. And only hits her or yanks her hair sometimes.
One who doesn't mind that his best friend refuses to acknowledge that we live in another time zone and continues to call and text at four in the morning.

One who tries his best to take care of you when you're sick.

One who anxiously waits for his dad to come home from work because he just "likes it when Dad is home."

If you're really lucky, your twelve your old boy may balance his love of junk TV with an appreciation for better stuff like Curb Your Enthusiasm or anything with Ricky Gervais. He will also love 30 Rock as much as you do and will only occasionally make fun of your Alec Baldwin obsession.

And if you're really, really lucky, you may get a twelve year old who has an inherent knack for staying out of trouble and avoiding the bad kids. He'll choose friends who are just like him. They of course will be annoying at times. They'll stink up your house and eat all of your food, but are ultimately harmless.

So, despite the many drawbacks of having a twelve year old boy, they are a pleasure to have around and I'd advise you to get one of your own. Especially if you can find one like mine.

Happy Birthday Montgomery!

18 comments:

Daphne said...

Aw!! I hope I mentioned to you how impressed I was with him when I met him. He was so genuinely sweet and nice and friendly. You're a lucky mom (who obviously raised him right!)

Theresa said...

Awww... ... but heh, that kinds sounds a lot like my hubby who is 27, but apparently still behaves like a 12 year old boy. *laughs*

tammiemarie said...

this is so funny and sweet! i keep thinking ahead to when our three boys are teens - shudder - and i can only hope that they turn out so well! happy birthday to your little man!

beck said...

What a great post. I can really relate to what you wrote about your son, even though mine is 8, I get where you are coming from. You have managed to sum up the essence of your boy so well and in such a touching and funny way. Happy Birthday to the big fella, hope he has a fantastic day xo

CT said...

I wish I could tell you how much I loved this post. You had me laughing like silly at the beginning, smiling more and more as I read on and in tears at the end. Give that darling boy a hug all the way from Mexico.

And ask him if he knows he has one hell of a mom who is doing a great job with him and his sister.

Dysfunctional Mom said...

Happy Birthday to him! That was a tough age for my oldest son, I like him MUCH better now. =)

hester said...

This was a gorgeous post. Oh..the things I am missing out on having only girls! You must be doing so much right, Tammie (and Jay of course). Plus your boy is obviously made of fine stuff.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

That is such a nice tribute to your son Tammie.

You obviously are doing something right!

Mari said...

Very sweet, Tammie!

Lia said...

Well, he sounds just about perfect as far as 12 year old boys go. I hope mine will have an inherent knack for staying out of trouble, unlike his parents.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Oh my gosh -- I have one of those. Except now, the friends who are coming to our house are GIRLS! How did this happen? Happy birthday to your special guy.

Penny said...

I love, love, love your sons name! I was telling someone recently that my son is still a cute little kid but soon enough that will change and I'd imagine he will be a BOY.

Alisha said...

happy birthday!! so sweet :)

Writing Without Periods! said...

Sounds like my hubby too, and he's much older. Thanks for the chuckle.
Mary

Dani said...

Happy birthday!!! Don't change, man. You got mad game.

Your boy is quite a gift. If my boy were a bit older I think they'd be fast friends.

Stephanie Meade Gresham said...

Kinda makes me want to fast forward eleven years.... but then I'd miss the peanut butter chin and chalk-eating phase.

ps- You can play with Picture Pages,
fill your day with Picture Pages,
'till Bill Cosby does another Picture Page with you!

Visty said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet boy! He sounds like a wonderful little human being. I think our boys would get a long. My 12 year old still gives me random hugs, holds my hand on public, takes splinters out of his baby sister's foot, and loves his family.

michelle said...

late! i know... just catching up on my google reader. i have a five y/o, as you know and i can totally see him as the 12 y/o you described here.