Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Pippi

Back in the sixth grade, Dawn and I had to do an oral report on a book of our choosing. But it couldn't be just a regular report. It had to have some type of accompaniment like costumes, music, artwork, etc. We eventually decided on Pippi Longstocking, although for the life of me I can't remember why. It had been a long time since I had read those books and I clearly remember Dawn and I being into more 'mature' stuff like The Sweet Valley High series. We agreed that Dawn would do the majority of the report and I would dress like Pippi. (Now that I think about it, this may have just been an excuse for me to a.) not do any of the actual work and b.) dress up like a jackass. Despite being quite shy, I have a strangely dramatic side and am not afraid to get into costume for no good reason.)

Other than changing into goofy clothes and putting my hair into really stiff braids, I don't remember much about the day of the report. I can vaguely picture the class staring at us and being less than impressed. I know, shocking. Possibly this event foreshadowed my years of crushing unpopularity.

Fast forward to yesterday when I received a box from Dawn. I ripped into it and pulled this chick out:I am very happy to give this funky gal a home. We have some shelves in our living room that are quickly filling up with toys and other fun things:
Yes, she'll fit in very nicely in the cubby next to the boy's brain eating zombie:A good friend is someone who has seen you dress up as Pippi Longstocking yet loves you anyway.

8 comments:

nevertravelled said...

Adorable! I love pippi and always wanted to have braids like that...

Dani said...

That is cool.

Very cool.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Pippi was the best -- I wanted to be her one Halloween, but my pixie haircut didn't lend itself to the Pippi-look. Your friend is awesome!

Not Hannah said...

I'm grooving on your toy shelf.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

That's so great! I love your shelves...and the new look. I'll miss eyeing those shoes though.

Maria Rose said...

Great story! I always wanted to dress like Pipi, do you think that ship has sailed for me?

hester said...

I'm really really hoping you have a photo of you dressed up as Pippi for that school report. It can be next month's self portrait.

kraftykash said...

I love that shelf! It is so bright and colorful! The Zombie and Pippi are awesome!