Monday, July 26, 2010

Oregon Brewers Festival 2010

This past weekend was the Oregon Brewers Festival. Jay had a volunteer shift on Saturday night and said it was kinda wild and fast paced. My mind immediately went back to Gainesville, drunk college students, and the general Girls Gone Wild atmosphere that always seemed to prevail there. But we went early on Sunday afternoon and the mood was much more low key and laid back, which I was thankful for. There was plenty of food for the kids to eat and shade to sit in while Jay explored the taps, tasting various brews but always popping back over to give me a sip or two. (I was the designated driver.) Garlic Fries. My family devoured two servings. The "Free Rain" quickly turned to mud, but fortunately that's the girl's idea of a good time:
All of the following pictures were taken by Jay, who has no problem going up to folks and asking them if he can take their picture. I always want to do that, but get timid and wimp out. I should get over this though because new faces make things so much more interesting. Plus, it's been my experience that most people don't mind having their picture taken and really, the worst that could happen is that they say no. (I do want to note that we didn't actually ask if any of these folks wanted their picture on the internet, but I'm assuming since they consented to having their picture taken by a slightly tipsy stranger, they would probably be cool with it.)Beer servers and beer drinkers:

Since moving here, I've learned that Oregon takes three things pretty seriously: coffee, beer, and food. I think we're fitting in just fine.

(Next up in two weeks, The Bite of Oregon. I'm hoping to at least be able to make a small appearance there.)

13 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I never ventured into these festivals before....But this Spring, I went to the Taste of Utica -- basically a big Italian food festival. Now I'm totally hooked. It was so much fun for everyone. I wonder if my Oregon relatives were at this festival -- most likely they were.

I totally, totally understand your fear of photographing people. Sometimes, when I'm very daring I take a shot from about a mile away and zoom in -- they never know nor care. It saves me the anxiety of asking.

Daphne said...

Fun stuff. Coffee, beer, food and rain gear. You'll see.

Tammie said...

jodi: i want to go to an italian food festival!

daphne: i cant wait for the rain! i bought my first winter coat yesterday!!!!

Shalet said...

My hubbie was there (he's a brewer for Deschutes). Didn't see him in your photo montage ...

Tee hee -- a couple of years ago he went and was supposed to call to say he made it okay. The only way we knew he was all right was by seeing him on the news. Boys!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

WOW sounds like my kind of place!
The sky was beautiful blue and looks like a helluva good time.
I must say thought that Garlic Fries sound wonderful Tammie!
Hell anything with garlic to me is wonderful.

Do they have a Taste of Portland Festival?

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

That looks like a lot of fun--I always like festivals that revolve around food or drink. Garlic fries sound pretty terrific. Love the banner...take off the sunglasses and put on the beer goggles.

Dani said...

Hellz yes! Sign me up. The Mr. and I will both volunteer a shift.

I need to find out of Texas has something like this. I'm sure they do...I've just never checked into it. That will be remedied asap.

Maria Rose said...

Oh my, I totally sat here in silence for a good minute just pondering garlic fries. I love garlic, potatoes, fried things...

Not Hannah said...

I told Will the other night that I wanted to move to Oregon and he asked why. I replied, "They recycle a lot there." Which honestly wasn't a very good argument for him. THIS? Is totally a good argument.

Anonymous said...

Oregon also takes VERY seriously it's college football games between the University of Oregon Ducks and OREGON STATE BEAVERS!!! YAY BEAVERS!!!!! - Terri (Daph's Mom)

Tammie said...

terri: so im guessing youre a beavers fan? :)
jay loves his football but i dont know if hes pledged his allegiance to a team yet.

Lia said...

That looks like a ton of fun! I love outdoor festivals of all sorts, especially ones that involve food and drinks. And I bet the weather was freaking amazing, as opposed to our current 100 degrees and suffocating humidity. An outdoor festival right now would be all kinds of awful.

Penny said...

Portland is really seeming like my kind of town (excpet the drippy weather, I can't deal with that). My husband will be looking for a job in 3 years and we have NO IDEA where we will end up, but I may start considering Portland as an option...(although seriously the weather may be too much for me...I don't do well without sunshine)