Friday, June 25, 2010

Random Thoughts

Feeling strangely quiet today. But here are a few bits and pieces.

*Yesterday we went to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, or OMSI as it's more commonly known here. I think the highlight for me was probably the Michael Jackson Laser Light show at the Planetarium.

*While at OMSI, the girl wanted to play in the water play area. (Oregonians are quite big on the water play.) Anyway, as we were walking towards it, I noticed all the other children were wearing Crocs. I thought it was odd that so many kids wore Crocs that day but then I realized that they were provided by the museum so the kids wouldn't get their own shoes wet.

Upon further inspection, all the Crocs had "OMSI" written on them in permanent marker and there was a sign below them explaining the sizing and reminding you to return them to the shelf before leaving. And here's the wild part: People were returning them! This was definitely one of those culture shock moments for me. Back in Florida, those Crocs wouldn't have lasted one day. And there would be a bunch of little kids walking around town wearing OMSI Crocs. I don't know why, but for some reason that realization kind of bummed me out a bit, that I had learned to expect the worst out of people. I guess I'm just glad to be gone from there.

*My son got his final report card in the mail today: all A's and B's. I was super proud. Even though these grades are typical for him, Jay and I had already decided we weren't really expecting anything awesome this final quarter of the sixth grade and we were even concerned there might be some ugly grades on there. He'd been through a lot with the move and all, and we basically just wanted him to get through the year. It was a pleasant surprise.

*I got my hands on a used copy of How to Cook Everything. It seems as if everyone in the world loves this book. I'm anxious to rip into it and start cooking....well, everything! If you've used this book, do you have a favorite recipe?

*On Monday, I'm going to finally meet Daphne. Although in many ways it feels like we've known each other for a long time. Don't you love it when you find people you feel that way about?

11 comments:

nevertravelled said...

I am so excited to see you too!

People always comment how polite and nice Oregonians are. A friend of mine just got back from a road trip up there and said that it drove her bonkers that people *actually followed the speed limit*. Heh. Crazy California driver. :)

Yay for good grades!

See you Monday! woohoo!

Theresa said...

I am so jealous of you and Daphne getting to meet each other!! And dont' feel bad about the crocs. My first thought when reading that was: "Aren't they afraid people will steal them??!" They wouldn't last here either.

Shalet said...

Just don't wear crocs on escalators -- we learned this the hard way -- losing a croc and nearly a toe (apparently this is wide spread knowledge but in our sleepy town there are NO escalators).

I LOVE OMSI - we went last for the freaky Body World show. I loved it. My family wasn't so sure ...

:o)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Oh -- how neat to be meeting Daphne!

And I have that cookbook up at the lake. Every Saturday morning I make the basic muffin recipe and add mini-chocolate chips. It makes for a happy wake up -- that is, when my children eventually wake up. Teenagers, you know.

Dani said...

Congrats to your boy! A nice cherry to top the end of the school year.

And have fun with Daphne. What a treat!

I don't have that cookbook, but I've considered getting the app for it on my phone. It's more than $2, so I'm currently on the fence. I'm a mega-cheapskate where apps are concerned.

I was quiet on Friday as well. I'm hoping to snap out of my funk today.

Have fun!!!

Lia said...

I wanna go to a Michael Jackson laser light show! I love the thought that we're finally moving on from the Pink Floyd light shows.

Woot! to everything else- the report card, the cookbook, and meeting Daphne!

Not Your Aunt B said...

Cool museum! And I will have to check out the book.

Penny said...

those shoes would have lasted 10 minutes in NJ/NYC.

I was with my sister yesterday and she was telling me she wanted the cookbook and I said "isn't that what the internet was for" and totally burst her bubble!

Maria Rose said...

I love meeting blogger friends. I am hoping to meet up with you when we next visit OR.

Tammie said...

maria rose: consider it a date! i can't wait to see that beautiful baby of yours in person.

Visty said...

I agree; here in Oregon people are just nicer. Especially me. When are we meeting at a park?