Monday, June 7, 2010

Nightgown

Over the weekend I made this nightgown for the girl. It's Simplicity 4767, gown A with a few modifications, which I'll get to in a moment.

Looking back, this nightgown definitely did its best to contribute to the pissy mood I was in all weekend. Cutting the pattern pieces was fun. Sewing the body was fun. Attaching the sleeves? NOT FUN AT ALL. In fact, attaching the sleeves ruined an otherwise fun project. My seam ripper got a workout this weekend as I attached and reattached them numerous times. At one point I was going to just leave it as is but then the boy walked by and began commenting on the many irregularities and I figured if an unobservant, pre teen male can notice the flubs, then I should probably fix it. If I had been in a different mood I probably would have just set the project aside until I was in a better frame of mind, but I wanted something to show for all my work. I wanted a completed project.

Getting back to the gown, it's the most basic kind of this pattern. No elastic in the waist or sleeves. Although, initially I had put elastic in the sleeves and loved the look, but the girl hated it so I redid the sleeves. AGAIN.

I'm not sure what the fabric is. I got it in a grab bag of stuff at Goodwill. At the time I thought it was cotton but when I got it home I realized it was kinda silky. It has a bit of a 1970's muumuu factor, but works for a nightgown I suppose. I do love the flowers on it.As for sewing from a pattern, I think I'm going to take a few weeks off until I get my gusto back. This project wiped me out and I don't think it should have. It's a very simple pattern but for some reason it totally threw me for a loop. I had hoped this process would demystify patterns for me but now I think I'm more intimidated than ever. The weird symbols, the crinkly paper they're drawn on that I can never re-fold properly......it all just wore me out. I'm not giving up, just taking a break and going back to straight line sewing for a while.

Which brings me to the latest Craft Hope project that I heard about last night through Annie. It involves making dishcloths and hand towels to be sent to the Gulf Coast region to help the folks cleaning oil off of marine animals. The rags don't have to be anything fancy since they'll probably only be used a few times before being tossed. They can be knitted, crocheted, or sewn. All the specifics are over on Craft Hope, but it's a very easy project. One even I can do.

9 comments:

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

And this is why I avoid patterns. Yuck. That being said -- I think your mumu gown turned out dandy.

Karen said...

For a long time patterns just made me dizzy. It was like trying to read a road map, upside down and in a mirror. Made no sense. Have you tried Kwik Sew pattenrs? They're printed on real paper with a minimum of symbols and the instructions are pretty clear.

Dani said...

Patterns can be like that. I can't read too far ahead. I take it step by tiny step.

But a seam ripper is still nice to have.

I love the outcome. It's sweet. I have a stack of patterns matched with fabric for The Girl. We shall see if a dent gets made in those projects.

Theresa said...

I think the night gown is cute! And I bet it's really comfy too. I learned to sew with patterns from the get go from my mom. So it was much easier to transition from pattern to tutorials and making one's own patterns, though I can see how it would be frustrating going in the other direction. I still get confused by all the symbols. I always trace pattern pieces onto freezer paper for more durability!

Tammie said...

jodi: thank you. and yes, Yuck.

karen: im going to look up kwik sew. that might be just what i need at the moment.

dani: yeah, i do think i need to slow it down next time. what i thought i could do and what i actually could do ended up being two different things.

theresa: you are so lucky you had someone to teach you. there are so many little things that id love to have clarification on that i just need to figure out on my own through trial and error. it makes the whole process take twice as long.

Tammie said...

theresa: also im glad you mentioned about the freezer paper! i bought some stuff at joanns to trace it on to but i was wondering what most people used. i dont want to have to schlep to joanns for this specific stuff everytime i want to trace a pattern.

Daphne said...

that is cute fabric, and I totally would have wanted a nightie like that when I was little.

PS: I learned to sew with patterns, but they can be annoying.

Maria Rose said...

Well, I think it turned out cute, in spite of the trouble it gave to you.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I don't sew but there are many days when I wish I owned a seam ripper.

The nightgown is cute!