Over the weekend I made this nightgown for the girl. It's Simplicity 4767, gown A with a few modifications, which I'll get to in a moment.
Looking back, this nightgown definitely did its best to contribute to the pissy mood I was in all weekend. Cutting the pattern pieces was fun. Sewing the body was fun. Attaching the sleeves? NOT FUN AT ALL. In fact, attaching the sleeves ruined an otherwise fun project. My seam ripper got a workout this weekend as I attached and reattached them numerous times. At one point I was going to just leave it as is but then the boy walked by and began commenting on the many irregularities and I figured if an unobservant, pre teen male can notice the flubs, then I should probably fix it. If I had been in a different mood I probably would have just set the project aside until I was in a better frame of mind, but I wanted something to show for all my work. I wanted a completed project.
Getting back to the gown, it's the most basic kind of this pattern. No elastic in the waist or sleeves. Although, initially I had put elastic in the sleeves and loved the look, but the girl hated it so I redid the sleeves. AGAIN.
I'm not sure what the fabric is. I got it in a grab bag of stuff at Goodwill. At the time I thought it was cotton but when I got it home I realized it was kinda silky. It has a bit of a 1970's muumuu factor, but works for a nightgown I suppose. I do love the flowers on it.As for sewing from a pattern, I think I'm going to take a few weeks off until I get my gusto back. This project wiped me out and I don't think it should have. It's a very simple pattern but for some reason it totally threw me for a loop. I had hoped this process would demystify patterns for me but now I think I'm more intimidated than ever. The weird symbols, the crinkly paper they're drawn on that I can never re-fold properly......it all just wore me out. I'm not giving up, just taking a break and going back to straight line sewing for a while.
Which brings me to the latest Craft Hope project that I heard about last night through Annie. It involves making dishcloths and hand towels to be sent to the Gulf Coast region to help the folks cleaning oil off of marine animals. The rags don't have to be anything fancy since they'll probably only be used a few times before being tossed. They can be knitted, crocheted, or sewn. All the specifics are over on Craft Hope, but it's a very easy project. One even I can do.