Monday, June 21, 2010

Ira Keller Fountain

Jay hasn't had to work the past few Sundays. We've used this time to explore the city more. Sundays are perfect for this. There's less traffic and less people, so we can meander about at our own pace without worrying about holding up folks who actually have places to be. Plus, we don't have to endlessly drive in circles looking for parking.

This past Sunday we visited the Ira Keller fountain. There are hundreds of really gorgeous pictures of this fountain online, but it's breathtaking in person.

Jay, looking tiny, at the top:
The girl, looking crazy in a tutu (her wacky fashion choices fit right in around here):She definitely makes city exploring a lot more stressful than it needs to be. Not only does she have absolutely no sense of her surroundings, but she occasionally thinks the world revolves around her and that strangers will do as she wishes. (Walk out in traffic? Sure, the cars will stop.)Fortunately, she's young still. Hopefully after a few more trips to the city she'll start to get a bit more street smart and not give us all away as clueless southerners.

The boy strikes a much better balance.He's still in awe of everything around him, but he's not so outward with his emotions. He's definitely a city kid at heart. He'd be totally happy living on the tenth floor of a large apartment building and he's anxiously awaiting the day we leave our car at home and take the train into the city.

Jay and the kids behind the waterfall:
This fountain is a bit dangerous to play in, but from what I understand people do splash in the lower area during the hot summer months. But Portland has quite a few public fountains that are more play friendly. I can't wait to discover them all.

11 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

This is really a cool park!

Why not mass transit? The Boy and I agree!

Tammie said...

peggy: i know! we really do need to do the mass transit thing. i want both of the kids to be comfortable taking public transportation.

kraftykash said...

This is just too cool for words! The only fountain in Lincoln is currently under construction. There are signs everywhere to stay out of it when it is working. Love the girl in the tutu! :)

Dani said...

That would be so nice right now! Man is it hot.

Love the tutu. I want to get one for The Girl for her birthday. Where did you find it?

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I love the idea of a totally clean slate and seeing things for the first time. I'm very envious (and very bored with my surroundings right now).

Redbeet Mama said...

Tammie - wow I have never seen anything like this!!I would love to visit it someday. So magical for little ones and big ones. I love anything nature - right there in the middles of a city. Cool. Thank you for your comment last night - I feel like we have so much to talk about it. I am going to email you later - at naptime if I get a chance.

Namaste,

Maria Rose said...

Ahhh I love the pacific NW!

nevertravelled said...

I want a tutu.

Tammie said...

daphne: maybe if you're good i'll get you one for christmas.

Penny said...

Man that is gorgeous! I have said before that if it wasn't for the drippy, dreary weather I really think I would LOVE Portland. I definitely want to visit. I'm so jealous when I see the awesome stuff you get to go too!

Lia said...

Oooh. I always loved playing in fountains. My best friend and I used to climb up in one with hundreds of wide yet tiny stairs in the middle of Houston at what used to be called the Transco Tower. That was one of my favorite semi-mischievous middle school activities.