Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Ibach Park

Jay had a few hours off this morning so we grabbed some coffee and took the girl to Ibach park. I've noticed that the city of Tualatin spares no expense when it comes to funding parks, but this one is really impressive. The park is filled with various things based on the history of the city. These bones represent a mastodon skeleton that was discovered here in the early 1960's:
This crank powered ride represents the ferry crossing the Tualatin River.I got quite an arm workout powering the girl across the 'river.'A lot of the parks here have water play areas, where you push a button on a post and a small stream of water comes out.This water can be carried around in buckets or, if left on its own, it trickles throughout the play area making an awesome, fun mess.This park is definitely a bathe-afterwards park.

Before moving here, I had never seen these water play areas and I'm sad and amazed that more parks don't have them. It really takes the play experience to another, more sensory, level that I think all kids could benefit from.Plus, what kid in Florida wouldn't love to be splashing around in mud puddles right about now?

Of course, this isn't Florida, but Oregon. Which means the rains soon came.
We tried to wait it out, but it only got heavier and once we heard Oregon's idea of thunder (wimpy little rumbles), we decided to call it a day.
But, this park is less than five minutes from home. We'll be back.

14 comments:

Aleta said...

We don't have any parks like that. I love it! What an excellent idea and bringing history in as well. Thanks for sharing :)

Stephanie Meade Gresham said...

I want this park! Maybe if I move the family to Oregon, we'll make good use of our rubber rain boots. . .

Daphne said...

Looks like so much fun! Yeah... Oregon has wimpy thunderstorms, although they get bigger in Eastern Oregon. The mountains dampen their power in the Valley.

Penny said...

Your daughter is the cutest!

Alabama SUCKS at playgrounds. In NJ we had lots of parks with play areas for different aged kids, water parks, etc. etc. Here a playground could really be a slide. That's it. Just a slide. I guess since you have so much more room to run around you aren't supposed to complain about the shitty playgrounds.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

First of all "The Girl" is so damn cute!!

That really is a very cool park. I would want to play there too.

You mentioned thunder and that reminded me the whole time I lived in the pacific northwest I never heard thunder or experienced lightening. and honestly it never rained hard either. no sideways heavy rain just the constant drip until after July 4th then sunny until October. Soon summer will be there. More park time!

Tammie said...

penny: thanks! and yeah, thats how it was in florida too. there were a few decent parks (although nothing like this) but a lot of them were sorry things with just a slide or a swing. one park in gainesville actually has a little tykes playset at it! that park has been renovated and they now have more stuff, but for some reason they kept the little tykes thing.

Tammie said...

peggy: thank you!

and its true! i havent seen lightening either. and the thunder is NOTHING like what i heard in the south. it sounds almost like popcorn popping, its not menacing at all.

and yeah, no bothersome hard rain either. just a steady trickle.

hester said...

That looks like fantastic park (and I'm so glad Jay escaped from work to hang out with you and The Girl).

Dani said...

Your girl is too cute. And that looks like something The Offspring would never want to leave. I'd sit and let them tire out while I crochet or stalk facebook on my phone. Good times.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Parks? Here in NYS our governor is shutting down parks. No money. We headed out a couple weeks ago to my favorite State historical site only to find the gates chained shut and the grass about a foot high. This was the home of a famous Revolutionary war general -- and now our infamous governor is letting our history go to seed. Grrrrrrrr. Maybe I should move to Oregon -- where parks and the like are valued. It looks like you guys had a fun day. And how nice that it's only a hop, skip and a jump away.

Mari said...

Cool park! You know, I don't ever remember hearing thunder or seeing lightning in Oregon as a child. That's why the electrical storms in Ohio were so traumatic. My parents would wake up with me on the floor next to their bed every morning!

R.H. Ducky said...

that might be the coolest park i have ever seen. we definitely didn't have parks like that where i grew up. the history aspect of things is super cool. looks like the girl was having a blast.

Theresa said...

I second Penny as another Alabama resident. What an AWESOME park! I wish we had one

Maria Rose said...

I want to go there! In MT we had these outdoor water parks that were free and so much fun...I bet kids had fun too...