Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Fact or Crap: American Mustache Institute

As most of you remember, our stuff arrived in Oregon about a week and a half after we did. To keep boredom at bay we purchased a few games. One was Fact or Crap and we still regularly play it, even though our stuff has long since made it safely to us.The premise of the game is simple. There are cards and tokens. Each person takes a turn reading the three statements on a card. The other players have to say if the statement is a fact or if it's crap. Answer correctly, they get a token or two. Incorrectly, they lose a token or two. The player with the most tokens at the end wins.

We were playing the other night and it was my turn to read the following three statements:

*King James II died when he accidentally rode his horse off a cliff.
That's an easy one. Total crap. It just sounds made up. Moving on....

*George Clooney's real name is Jorg Haider, and he was born in Serbia.
Also total crap. Any self respecting Clooney fan knows that his name is indeed George Clooney and that he was born in Kentucky in the early 1960's.

But this last one really got me:

*The American Mustache Institute is dedicated to "protecting the rights of, and fighting discrimination against, mustached Americans."
That, my friends, is a fact. They have a very detailed and elaborate website that includes a gallery of mustachioed celebrities, a blog, and a mustache video of the week. It should be noted that while perusing the site I saw no photos of mustached ladies (except one done in jest, advertising another site). Are their rights being protected as well? Hmmmm.....I hope the AMI isn't sexist.

They are even lobbying for a tax credit stating that, "Given the clear link between the growing and maintenance of mustaches and incremental income, it appears clear that mustache maintenance costs qualify for and should be considered as a deductible expense related to the production of income under Internal Revenue Code Section 212."

Interesting. I'm not sure what this "clear link" is but whatever. I'll play your game AMI. Again, I have to wonder if women with mustaches would get this tax credit as well. I don't know why I'm going on and on about this. It's not as if I know any ladies with copious amounts of facial hair.

Anyway, I found the whole thing fascinating and just had to share.

Also, I'm thinking of having a reoccurring segment called Fact or Crap. Whenever I'm at a loss for something to write about, I'll open the box and pull out a card. Voila! Instant idea.

18 comments:

Dani said...

This is brilliant. I'd love to read a regular fact or crap feature.

Very few men can pull of the whole 'stache thing. I have to tip my hat to those that can.

Tammie said...

dani: i agree completely.

Theresa said...

Oh yeah. They have these "best stache" competitions where they spend all year or more grooming and growing out elaborate mustaches and then competing to see whose is the best. There are monetary prizes I believe. Like a beauty pageant or a dog show. NO CRAP. It's been a running joke between my hubby and I that one day he is going to enter the contest. I'm still not sure if he's making fun of me because I think large mustaches are kinda gross or if he's making fun of himself because of his seeming inability to grow more than a tiny patch of facial hair. LOL

Tammie said...

theresa: HA HA HA HA. my favorite part of your comment was when you compared the mustache competition to a "dog show". somehow i dont think the AMI would approve.

nevertravelled said...

I would love to see a Tammie-sponsored "Fact or Crap" feature on your blog. :)

Fact or Crap? Tammie once made a dress for her girl out of fabric filtched from the garbage?

Fact or Crap? Tammie's husband wishes he could throw it all away and become a brewmaster?

:)

Tammie said...

daphne: now thats and idea!

Lia said...

That was pretty damn funny. I need that chuckle.

{Amy} said...

i love that idea....not a fan of the 'stache myself unless it's like, Burt Reynolds, who would seem totally naked without one.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

We love this game! We have it at the lake house and on a rainy day with kids it is fun. They are at first interested because of the name and of course holding up the sign. But then it becomes fun and educational a little bit.

As for the AMI there is a section of the USAToday called Pop Candy and they talk about this group all the time and have the t-shirts etc. Those old photo's of my husband would make them proud.
:-)

Abraham said...

Thank you for your post. The American Mustache Institute, founded in Washington, D.C., in 1965 and now operating out of St. Louis as it is home to the world's largest mustache -- the Gateway Arch -- is indeed a 501 (c) 3 not-for-profit think tank and advocacy organization dedicated to supporting people of facial hair across the globe.

Carry on.


Dr. Abraham Jonas Froman
Chief Executive Officer
The American Mustache Institute
info@AmericanMustacheInstitute.org
877-STACHE-1

Tammie said...

peggy: i thought about those old photos of rick the whole time i was writing this!!

abraham: keep fighting the fight, my friend!

R.H. Ducky said...

the 'stache dude wrote you...that is awesome. i am concerned that he did not address the questions you raised about chick 'staches though.

Tammie said...

alicia: yes. i noticed that as well. not sure if he was dodging the issue or just not taking me seriously.

Tommy Gee said...

Oates himself, of Hall and Oates, preformed for all the mustachioed denizens of St Louis at the 2009 AMI Stash Bash. It was alot of fun.

Tammie said...

interesting. i wasn't aware oates was still sporting a 'stache.

but his eighties one was pretty infamous.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

This is a fabulous idea for your blog -- but I'm going to buy this game tomorrow, so I may know all the answers. What a ringing endorsement.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

A mustache video of the week? Clearly, I'm missing out. I like the description that they're a think tank!

Fact or Crap sounds like a great series to post.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I just wanted you to know -- I bought the game. I'm very tempted just to sit and read the cards.