Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Carrot Cake

The first cake I ever made (without help from Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines) was a carrot cake. I made it when I was about 17 years old, the recipe was from the back page of a Sassy magazine, and it was by Mike D of the Beastie Boys. It was the perfect carrot cake recipe and I made it often. Even after I got rid of my magazines (which I could kick myself for, by the way), I saved that recipe and carried it with me for quite some time. Somewhere along the way, I lost it. I've searched the internet high and low for it, doing all manner of Google searches. Occasionally I'll find a chat room where someone else is looking for the Mike D carrot cake recipe which at least proves to me that I didn't imagine the whole thing, but still, no recipe.

Over the years I've made other carrot cakes. I've used various recipes from books or ones I've found online while looking for my recipe. They've all been decent, but I've never loved any of them enough to be compelled to make the same carrot cake twice.

Until now.

When Daphne was here she gave me this book:There is so much about this book that I want to explore more, especially the soup section. I know those pages will be turned to many times this winter when we need to warm our bodies internally. But when I sat down to read it I immediately found the carrot cake recipe and decided that this would be the first to get made.

The result was carrot cake perfection. The absolute taste I've been searching for all these years.It was the perfect mix of sweet and spicy and hearty.Here's the thing about carrot cake: It's pretty much the worst cake in the world for you. All those eggs, and oil, and sugar. Then you throw on that frosting which is straight up fat. (Cream cheese + butter + powdered sugar.) I mean, this isn't diet food. But, being chock full of carrots, nuts, and raisins, this is a cake that eats like a meal. Plus, it will definitely satisfy the sweet tooth.

I'll still be on the look out for the Mike D carrot cake recipe. Maybe I'll stumble upon a website or the blog of a gal who was smart enough to save all of her Sassy magazines and doesn't mind typing out the beloved recipe. Or maybe one day Mike D himself will happen upon this. I can't claim to be the Beastie's biggest fan (although Paul's Boutique rocked my world for quite sometime), but Mike, you make a hell of a carrot cake. Can you hook up a housewife in Oregon? Until then, I'm glad to finally have a satisfying substitution.

15 comments:

Mari said...

Yum! Looks great. I lost most of the recipes I've collected over the past two years due to the death of a hard drive last week. Also lost all of my blog ideas and other writing : (
Oh well. My own fault for not backing it up recently. One of those recipes was my favorite carrot cake. I will be on the hunt for my carrot cake recipe as well! Mine had cool ingredients like coffee, cocoa and pepper.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

OMG that looks so good!
I Love Carrot Cake....wish you lived closer woman! I'd bring the coffee or the glass of milk :-)

Tammie said...

mari: thats terrible, you must be heartbroken. im pretty lax about backing up too.
and your carrot cake recipe sounds amazing.

peggy:you could come over any time!

Dani said...

I now have a new mission. I will be on the look-out for the Mike D carrot cake.

Paul's Boutique rocked my world as well. Many Saturday nights driving around on back country roads & drinking cheap beer. (I wasn't driving...just drinking.)

Looks yummy.

Tammie said...

dani: its excellent car music isnt it?!?

Sarah12730 said...

Well, Tammie, he's running a restaurant now. See here ---> http://vegetarianstar.com/2009/03/12/beastie-boy-mike-ds-ex-chef-runs-own-vegan-food-joint-now/

The article even mentions the carrot cake! I wonder if he'd be less likely to share it now.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I love carrot cake and I like to believe/pretend that it's healthy...c'mon it has a vegetable in its name. Also, I like that you have cake on a HAPPY plate. I think all desserts should be on happy plates.

Penny said...

I make my son a carrot cake every year for his birthday. I use a recipe that also includes raisins, orange juice, and ginger. We all love it, but I think the thing that makes it extra moist and delicous is all the OIL...but I still like to pretend it is healthy.

Tammie said...

sarah: this is amazing that you found this. i need to get myself to vancouver. its not that far.

Maria Rose said...

Good luck on the hunt. Since I am vegan I pretend that all vegan sweets are super healthy, you could try that...but they aren't. Booo

Alisha said...

I loooove carrot cake! And I lurrrrv The Beastie Boys. I'm sure all of the other moms at the park were giving me strange looks as I started to hop up and down in my seat and make wild gestures when Intergallactic came on.

{Amy} said...

never mind the carrot cake... but Sassy magazine! i think i had every single one...i seriously loved that magazine....ahhh...memories! : )

Lia said...

I can't think of anything I'd love more than a recipe by a Beastie Boy. Pauls Boutique rocked my world, but I was only in fifth grade so there wasn't any beer drinking until much later. I still know all the words to Paul Revere's Ride and my kids love the Beasties almost as much as I do. They were supposed to be at ACL last year, but cancelled because of the whole throat cancer thing. I was really pissed and disappointed. I hope you find the recipe and then I hope you share.

Anonymous said...

Tammie, this is Daph's mom.
You will LOVE this cookbook. Absolutely everything I've made from it is delicious!! Daph and I had fun shopping together to find this for you. One nice day you and your family need to come to Wheeler to poke around at the huge antique mall. And play in the sand, too.

Tammie said...

daphnes mother: ooh youre speaking my language. i love an antique mall!