Monday, June 14, 2010

Book Review:: My Abandonment

Back in 2004 a girl and her father were found living in Forest Park, a wooded area near the city of Portland. They had been there over four years, the girl had been home schooled by the father and, other than lacking in social skills, was wise beyond her years. Once their situation was discovered, they were taken in by the proper authorities and questioned. After it was apparent that the girl was in good health and technically no crime (other than park living) was being committed, they were released. Donations of money, clothes, and necessities came in from the community. The father was given a job at a local farm, where the two were also allowed to live. Things seemed to be going well when one day they vanished, presumably to retreat back into the outskirts because the father didn't like all the attention their story had gotten. Searches were conducted but they were never seen or heard from again.

My Abandonment is based on that father and daughter. From what I can tell the first part of the book is a mildly factual account of their life in the woods, up until and including being discovered and questioned. Everything after that comes from the authors imagination, which sort of makes it feel like two books in one. The first half of the book, while interesting, is somewhat slow moving. Whereas the second half, moves quickly, is far more attention grabbing, and I couldn't put it down.Things take a turn and you realize that everything isn't as it seems.

This book was frustrating in a lot of ways because it left so many unanswered questions. Although in fairness this isn't the fault of the author. I'm aching to know more about the father and daughter, but the information just isn't out there. When I finished reading this, I was almost disgusted by how things turned out. Yet, I can't stop thinking about the story and parts of it have really stuck with me.

I thought about doing an Open Discussion on this book but it's by a local author and I just don't think it's readily accessible to enough people to make an internet discussion possible. But there are so many parts of the story that I want to discuss with someone but can't really talk about it here without giving away large chunks of it. So if you're ever able to get your hands on a copy, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

9 comments:

nevertravelled said...

That sounds totally fascinating.

Tammie said...

daphne: it really was. heres a link to a newspaper article about the actual father and daughter:

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2004/06/289883.shtml

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

It sounds really good. I found it on amazon and added it to my wish list.

Aleta said...

Sounds interesting! I haven't heard of it before and will have to see if I can order it on my iPad :) I love your book reviews! BTW, I'm going to start a separate blog with some friends to do something like an online book club blog. Very casual, will have it up and running by the end of the month, if you ever want to participate or browse the book reviews, you'd be more than welcome!

Hotch Potchery said...

I am going to put it on my wishlist too!

Dysfunctional Mom said...

You can go on ahead and send that book to me.
Seriously, it sounds very intriguing, I love a book that sticks with you. I'll have to seek it out!

Tammie said...

aleta: i cant wait!!!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Interest plot....But I hate loose ends. I need books to have some closure. It makes them so much more satisfying.

heath3 said...

Your wish for an open discussion on the book My Abandonment may be coming because in a few months there will be thousands of college students reading it in Salem Or. as the local college has chosen it for the book read for the year. Also, thanks for your comments I just finished the book tonight and had the same feelings as you. Like, is the father really dead??