Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Wash Wednesday

All throughout May, GardenMama has been hosting Wash Wednesday. I hadn't gotten around to participating, but I've loved looking through the photos of every ones clotheslines. Even though I don't have a proper clothesline anymore, I thought I'd play along this week. I doctored my photo up a bit with Picnik's 1960's processing technique, which actually makes me feel strangely melancholy, as if I'm looking through an old photo album.

Anyway, I've mentioned before how much I miss my clothesline. The crisp sheets, the crunchy towels, the sun bleached dish cloths. I even miss the stiff jeans. I've recently learned that I hate the way my jeans feel after a romp in the dryer.

I purchased the above drying rack at Target. Obviously I can't dry all my clothes on it, and sheets are pretty much out of the question, but it's excellent for quick drying items like tea towels and the girl's clothes.

In the past week, I've been trying to find the perfect location for my drying rack. One would think the balcony, but Oregon weather is fast changing and unpredictable. It can be sunny and bright one minute, and rainy with a chance of hail the next. While I otherwise love that, it makes for poor clothes drying weather. This has definitely kept me on my toes and I've been constantly moving the rack from outside to inside and from room to room, opening windows and gauging the wind direction.

But I'm bound and determined to make this work. Even if it does take my jeans three days to dry.

13 comments:

Shalet said...

Too funny. I hung my laundry on a similar rack yesterday too. Then I went to get the kids from school and it got rained on. I finally brought it inside and most things are now dry.

I did find I could fit more things on the rack by hanging my clothes on hangers and then on the drying rack. The benefit is that they dry and are ready for quick transfer to the closet.

:o)

Maria Rose said...

I don't have the space right now and I really miss crispy clothes!

Lia said...

Hooray that you found a solution! I'm not so sure I would enjoy crisp jeans, however.

Daphne said...

Ah yes, where to put the clothes rack in Oregon springtime... We just always had ours inside, near the heater, at least, until it finally got sunny (even then, watch out for rain). Unattractive, but functional.

When we first got a dryer (I think I was like 12 or something) I was astonished at how soft my jeans were. I have to say that I still love soft warm fresh-from-the-dryer clothes, although I will have a clothesline as soon as I can because it's just better all around.

We got many modern conveniences around age 12 or 13 (although no microwave until I was around 16) and although I'm still sort of "meh" on most of them and prefer the old, manual way, I do love the dryer. It still feels special after all this time.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I miss having a clothesline. I have the same drying rack from Target...it's just not the same as the real thing.

Every time I check out your blog, I fall in love with those shoes.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

WOW. That brought back the memories. Crisp towels and jeans I am not fond of. Line dried sheets we love. But we are not allowed to have a clothes line in our development. Apparently that is unsightly. Go figure.

Dani said...

I love love love the Wash Wednesday pics. It actually makes me long to do laundry. At least the pictorially beautiful laundry.

I can't do crunchy jeans. I like to put mine on slightly damp. Then they mold to my body.

tammiemarie said...

things i hate you might love: scratchy jeans and crunchy towels. ;) but - i do want a clothesline! even if the durn dog likes to drag my things off of it, i miss being able to dry my bath rugs and sheets. i am hoping it makes it on the priority list this summer - it has failed to the past three years.

Dysfunctional Mom said...

I NEED one of those! Sometimes I have to bring stuff inside to dry and that would be so handy.
I am loving using my clothesline. The kids think it's amazing how your jeans feel so stiff and then when you put them on, they're all comfy.

hester said...

Love this photo - it made me nostalgic too with those 70s colours.

Our sun is so fierce in Queensland that I try not to spend too much time standing in the hot sun hanging washing. But I love it anyway, especially when I forget to bring it in and run out in the evening to get it and see the stars and the moon in the night sky. Those wash day photos were simply wonderful.

Nick said...

I need to get my camera out. We use these round wooden clothes drying racks that should make for some nice pictures.

For those struggling with rainy weather: wash in the evening and dry overnight in a room with a ceiling fan running. They dry fine in the dark and they won't be in the way.

Nickie

Theresa said...

I'm with you 100% I love my clothesline. I just get happy looking at all the clothes hung up in neat little lines drying in the breeze. d

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I drag out my drying rack in the winter and do the same thing -- room to room wherever the sun may be. In NYS, we only have a few months to hang clothes outside. I totally sympathize. (And picnik is too much fun).