Friday, May 21, 2010

Things You Probably Like, That I Hate

I stole this idea from Elizabeth, who stole it from someone else. I really love it and totally wish I had thought of it myself.

*Lost-I've never watched an entire episode and I don't understand what all the hoopla is about. Actually, this is just one of a long list of shows that I've missed the boat on and never gotten into. Others include: Scrubs, Survivor, American Idol, Biggest Loser, Grey's Anatomy, CSI Anywhere, and Glee. I know, right?! Glee?! It's not a bad show, I'm just not motivated to tune in.

*John Hamm-Sorry John, I'm just not that into you. Fortunately for you, almost every other straight woman in America is. Other men I'm told are attractive who I have no interest in: Brad Pitt, Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett, and Ryan Reynolds.

*Brownies-I prefer cake or cookies and will almost always turn down a brownie. Unless it has the consistency of cake or is extra gooey.

*Horses and Ponies-Too many girls grew up wanting a pony or a horse. This has made them far too smug for my liking.

*Sunshine-I know it sounds like I'm full of crap, but I really think that too much sunshine is harsh and oppressive. Back in Florida, day after day of sunshine just wore me out and made me depressed. Maybe I'll feel differently here in the Pacific Northwest where the sun doesn't let it all hang out quite as often.

*The Goonies-I don't really have an explanation on this one. But I do feel like a loser because it appears that I'm the only person of my generation who doesn't like this movie.

*Visible brand logos on clothing, handbags, etc. I will occasionally give into this one if it's on kids clothes and/or I get them cheap or at a thrift store, but generally I avoid it.

*Old Navy-This store tricks me every time. I see the commercials. The clothes look cute. So I schlep all the way to the store only to find it in total disarray, even at ten in the morning. Plus, they never have my size. Ever. Which amazes me because it seems as if they have about 1000 of everything. Maybe this is my fault though since I only shop the sale rack because I refuse to pay more than $3.99 for something from Old Navy. There is a moment that happens about ten minutes into every Old Navy shopping experience I've ever had. I'm digging around the ladies sale section, not having any luck. Sweaters, boat-neck shirts, and deep-V tees are strewn around my ankles because Old Navy insists on hanging everything, even if it has no business being on a hanger and will undoubtedly fall off after about a minute. I sigh, look around, and say to myself, Why am I digging through this garbage? And I leave.

*Johanna Newsom-She seems like someone I should like. Yet, I don't.

*Men without hair on their chests.

*Banana flavored anything.

*Nickelback-UGH!

I could probably go on and on here, but I'll stop for now. But I'm interested, what do you hate that everyone else seems to like? And please, feel free to chime in about some of the things on my list.

22 comments:

Maria Rose said...

I am almost 100% with you on this list with the exception of Lost and I was crazy about magic horses when I was a girl (though I now prefer gentle donkeys)!

Daphne said...

Ooh, I love this. My inner curmudgeon has been dying to make a list like this.

You know I love brownies, but I only like them if they are dense and sticky.

I've never watched any of those shows either! And I have no idea who John Hamm is. Really. Nor Johanna Newsom. Where have I been? Does this have anything to do with Mad Men? (another show I haven't watched yet)

Things that I hate that most people probably like: most fish, even non-fishy fish; Starbucks coffee (tastes burnt, plus I just really hate Starbucks itself and the whole packaged-ambiance thing -- find your own lounge music, people); short stories; and parties. Not a party person AT ALL. Although I like to plan parties, I don't like to attend them.

Tammie said...

maria rose: i would have to say i prefer the donkey too.

daphne: yep, john hamm is on Mad Men-another show ive yet to watch. he also was on a few episodes of 30 Rock, which is where ive seen him the most.

as for starbucks: i like the coffee and drink it pretty regularly, but as for the actual place, i totally agree. ive always gone to them because they were convenient, but i have many more choices now. i still need to try Stumptown.

johanna newsome is a singer. her voice is like something from a nightmare.

Tammie said...

daphne: also, joanna newsome plays the harp. which seems like a reason to hate her in and of itself.

beki said...

Ha ha, I love this!

I'm with you on horses & logos.

Hmm, I'm sure there are plenty of things that I hate that other's like, but this might require some thought. Because I hate them, I simply push them out of my mind. Right off all I can think of is mushrooms. Everyone seems to love them, but I think they taste like dirt. There are plenty of TV shows that I don't watch, but I can say that I actually hate Greys Anatomy - Ellen Pompeo's squinty eyes and whiney character bother me.

Crap, now I'm going to be thinking about things I hate that other people love all day!

Theresa said...

Oh THANK GOODNESS! I thought I was the ONLY ONE who didn't get the whole Lost hoopla!! I've been ashamed to admit it because other people are SOOO into it. Another show I hate is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. For some reason that show was/is like immmensely popular among our friends/area and I could never understand the appeal. I confess I watch Grey's, but I only just started watching it so while every one else is freaking out over their season finale, I'm still on season three. *shrugs*

I think the bit about horses and ponies is funny. I've only had bad experiences with horses so they aren't my favorite either, but my daughter is obsessed with them.

I hate Old Navy too! Their jeans are always too short on me and they never have shoes in my size.

Tammie said...

beki: ellen pompeo is one of the main reasons i dont watch that show. the other is patrick dempsey. i dont find him attractive and i dont see him as a heart throb. he was a dork in the eighties and thats who i know him as.

its a shame that show has so many people i hate, because i really like sandra oh.

theresa: Old Navy does a terrible job at buying the proper amount of sizes in each style of anything. its uncanny. they never have what im looking for but they always seem to have an overabundance of size zeros. hmmmm...youd think they'd catch on.

as for their jeans: i have no clue what size i am there. ive tried on jeans in the size i normally am in the rest of the world, only to not be able to get them over my knees. i gave up looking a long time ago.

R.H. Ducky said...

i kinda want to respond to everything on your list. but for the sake of brevity i will only say that i freakin' love glee...but you probably have caught on to that by now.

i like this idea...maybe another one i will be forced to steal from you.

Tammie said...

ducky: i know you are a total gleek.
in defense of glee, i did watch one episode of it, enjoyed it, but for some reason just never watched it again and now im worried its too late.

Dani said...

I might have to steal this...

As far as your list goes:

*I don't watch any of those shows either. We watch basketball and the news.

*I do like John Hamm...but only his character persona. I've seen him in other things and it's just not the same draw.

*Brownies. I hate cake-like brownies. I like them to be very dense. You might like the ooey-gooey version.

*I do love The Goonies. We never had the money to go see movies in the theater while growning up...this is one of the few that I actually saw on the big screen. I still think Chunk is cute.

*Not a fan of logos, ponies, and the such.

*I have a love-hate thing with Old Navy. Sometimes they have great stuff...other times they have nothing. I can't stand the cut of their jeans.

*I'm indifferent to bananas. The hair on the chest thing...depends on the guy and just how much hair we are talking about. Totally bare...meh...too much...yuck.

I'm going to be thinking of this all evening. It's so much easier to identify the things I can't stand.

Tammie said...

dani: i hope you steal it! i would love to read your list. plus, its so fun and easy to think of things you hate.

as far as tv shows go: i always thought of myself as a tv junky, but honestly i just dont think i watch that much anymore. we watch the news and the weather and a few choice shows. jay watches sports. anymore, i think my tv is off a lot more than i realized.

i didnt see a lot of movies as a kid either. in fact the only one i can think of is the empire strikes back.

kraftykash said...

I love LOST, this season of Survivor, and Greys Anatomy. Korby sat next to me last night while Greys was on. Her comeent "I want to see some real blood. Why cant someones head fall off or something good." LOL Im not sure what I hate that others love. I will think about that...for sure.

Not Hannah said...

Totally stole this. I hear you on banana-flavored stuff and John Hamm. (I also am not really keen on his show.) Only my deep love for you, however, prevents me from shrieking at the fact that you don't like The Goonies. And you live in Oregon. For SHAME. :D

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

This is a wonderful idea....And for the record -- I hate Old Navy. You pretty much nailed all my gripes about that store.

hester said...

I love this post and I'm surprised you didn't think of the idea. It's so you.

I know what you mean about smug girls and ponies, but now Em is quite taken with them so I'm going with the flow.

Lia said...

First, I LOVE this and can't wait to copy you after I get through a couple other posts.

I gotta say I can't believe you don't like The Goonies. Gotta be one of my all time favorites.

I used to love Lost and Grey's, but then I just sort of stopped watching tv, habitually, anyway. Actually I started hating Lost when it went all crazy and mystical. Loved Scrubs, though, and know I would probably love Glee if I ever see it.

I like brownies, but only if they're chewy and dense and dusted with powdered sugar or topped with vanilla ice cream. I do not do ooey-gooey.

And I do love sunshine, but it can be exhausting.

All the rest of that crap on your list, I either agree with you 100% or I don't know who/ what you're talking about and don't have the energy to find out.

alisha said...

ahahahaha!! oh tammy you had me laughing out loud.

i don't know who john hamm is. and i don't watch any of those shows you listed either. i've put a moratorium on old navy as well. don't like horses and despise nickleback as well (all their songs sound the dame anyway.)

but...i never met a brownie i didn't like!

tammiemarie said...

I know, right?! let's recap...

Goonies? I know I watched it way back when, but I do not get it. I don't remember it, so how good could it really have been?

and brownies. nope, give me cheesecake or cookies. banana flavor always tastes fake.

I also do not know who any of those people are. and have not seen Mad Men.

But I love LOST and Scrubs! and horses!

Becky..AMHW said...

Every single thing you list...every one...except the baked goods thing. (I like baked goods)

I HATE THE GOONIES!

Jessie said...

T,
I love your post ideas so much. I think I may start stealing them to get out of my blog funk!
J

Tammie said...

becky @AMHW: for some reason your comment wouldnt publish (ive had issues lately with some comments) but i wanted you to know i did get it. :)

lieslmade said...

I agree about logos and ponies. Ponies kind of creep me out.

I just found Lia Ices. She's kinda like Joanna Newsom, but doesn't get annoying after one song. You should check her out.

One thing I don't really like that pretty much everyone loves is Summer. More specifically the heat. I melt. And get cranky.