Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Simple Scarf

Saturday I crocheted my first scarf. Nothing fancy, just something simple for the girl. Granted, this 'simple' thing took literally all day to complete and I got nothing else done.
As far as crocheting goes, there are still quite a few things that I'm stumped on and my work is far from perfect, but it all seems to be coming together the more I practice. And practice. And practice. And practice.

In the past few years, I've become increasingly thankful that I have a little girl to share the results of my creative attempts with. She very eagerly receives all of my imperfect first tries.My daughter is my biggest fan. I know it won't always be that way, but right now she thinks that I can make just about anything and is always amazed and impressed with every project. If I were to allow it, she'd willingly wear one of the skirts I've made her with one of the pillowcase-style dresses, and top it with this scarf. While her fashion sense might need a bit of tweaking, I appreciate her enthusiasm for her mammy-made items.
Especially when compared to the boy, who has definitively told me he has absolutely no interest in wearing anything I whip up. Fine. Making boy stuff doesn't interest me anyway.

(Oh, one more thing: With temperatures in the high fifties/low sixties, it's technically still scarf weather here. I love it!)

13 comments:

Jessie said...

Yay, T! You did it! Looks good! And you have a fan!

CT said...

I love the scarf!!! you did a great job, and I love how proud and happy The Girl looks in the photos! way to go, Tams!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh these photo's are GREAT.
Nothing better than a little girl and her mom. And to have her be so proud. This just made me smile Tam.

Dani said...

Fantastic! I love it!!!!

Scarves are such a great project. Instant gratification.

It is nice to have someone who loves the results of your crafty endeavors. The Girl loves the things I make as long as they are pink or purple. The Boy is receptive too...but he demands skulls and flames.

I'm proud of you. It looks really great!

Tammie said...

dani: thank you! i honestly could not have done it without your advice. :)

Daphne said...

super cute. She looks so happy.

hester said...

Wow....you've come along way since that wonky dishcloth (not that it wasn't beautiful ;))

Such a beautiful photo of the Girl with the scarf and those dimples.

kraftykash said...

You go girl!!! She looks adorable! Good job on your 1st scarf

michelle said...

congratulations on completeing the scarf! It looks great - even more so because your little girl loves it too! :)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

Look at you -- practically a pro! I seriously did not graduate from dishcloths for about a year. And thank goodness someone appreciates your handiwork. My boys (and actually the girl too) really don't show any interest at all in my crafting.

Lia said...

Wow. I mean, WOW. I'm really impressed and a bit jealous. I have got to practice crocheting more this summer. I don't pick mine up very often. Like maybe every couple of months. So I haven't made it past the wonky coaster stage, like seriously wonky coaster-ish stage. You're inspiring me.

Alisha said...

yay! so cute :)

Carla said...

I have to laugh a little about you considering it scarf weather. We only don scarves when it gets below freezing! Your scarf looks great though.