Friday, May 28, 2010

Random Thoughts

*One of my all time favorite books, Water for Elephants, is being made into a movie. Playing the lead role? Robert Pattinson. I'm definitely intrigued by this. The leading lady is Reese Witherspoon, who does nothing for me, but I'm still very excited about the movie.

*I'm going to finally try to make something from a pattern. I recently purchased Simplicity 3835, and Simplicity 4767. Both of these seem fairly easy and I've seen a lot of bloggers make them with a fair amount of success. (Most recently Crystal's simple yet adorable dress for her little gal, which has occupied my mind for the last week.) Breaking down and purchasing a pattern is a big deal to me. I've been putting it off because I knew once I spent the money, I would definitely feel the pressure to make something I'd actually wear. The pressure is on.

*Jay surprised me with a copy of It's Complicated. I haven't had a chance to watch it though because we've been catching up with True Blood before the new season starts next month. As much as I love Alec, sexy vampires usually trump Baldwins. This is just the hierarchy of things around here.

*Last week I had serious hair trauma. I needed to get my hair cut but didn't have a lot of time so I went to a place in one of the local malls. The woman who cut my hair was older (which is not usually a deal breaker) but lets just say english was not her first language (Um...from now on, totally a deal breaker). This really should have tipped me off, but once I was in I didn't feel right just leaving-the salon had just opened and no one else was there. Anyway, I've been getting this haircut for a while so I was able to tell her exactly what I wanted. But because of her age, and probably her more traditional background and culture, I don't think she really got what I wanted her to do. Plus, she argued with me. For instance, I told her I wanted it tapered up the back. Her response was, "No. No taper. I do it nice." Or when I told her her I wanted my bangs shorter and she said, "No. No shorter." She was very quiet and meek and I could tell she wasn't trying to piss me off. I think the problem was just some type of miscommunication. Somewhere along the line our wires were getting crossed and she just wasn't hearing what I was saying. Anyway, I let her do her thing, thinking How bad can it be?

Well, if the look on Jay's face was any indication, it was BAD. Honestly, he could barely look at me. Obviously I had to get this fixed. So I went into a Toni and Guy and one of their stylists was able to make me presentable. So, what was supposed to be a quick haircut ended up taking all morning and cost me twice as much. (For what it's worth, all of this could have been avoided if I'd just gone to a guy that Daphne suggested in the first place, since I know for a fact he knows what he's doing. Live and learn.)

But this whole ordeal has left me wondering if I could have done things differently. I mean, I'm just not the type of person to get up from the stylist's chair and walk out, especially since I don't think that this particular person was genuinely evil or trying to displease me. I think she just thought her way was better and I'd be massively impressed with what she did. Have you ever been in a position where you just knew what the stylist was doing was not good? How did you handle it? How would you have handled this lady?

14 comments:

Daphne said...

Oh my goodness. Hair trauma. (and yes, CALL JOE next time!) Terri has come out of the salon looking so bad that we had to go to another one right away, within 20 minutes. It was bad. I've had a few times where the haircut starts to go bad and I just sort of amend my request to "Can you just trim it from here? Thanks." and then I get my hair cut again right away. It's so awful when that happens. I couldn't walk out either, although if I could remember to make up an excuse like, "I just remembered my oven is on" or something, then I would definitley walk out. Yikes.

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

"It's Complicated" is one of those movies I've been dying to see since it came out in the theaters, but have yet to view! I think I may just need to break down and purchase a copy myself!

Good luck with your sewing patterns! I tried my hand a few years back at some VERY simple patterns with success, but I'm FAR from gifted in the sewing area! I'm sure you will FLOURISH!!

Tammie said...

daphne: i need to remember to use an excuse next time! the woman was all around sweet so i just couldn't be rude to her. she was like someones grandma! i am curious as to how she got hired in the first place though.....

Karen said...

I love Daphne's idea of making up an excuse to get out of the chair. I've only had one nightmare hair cut as an adult, and I was too wimpy to speak up as I saw it all going wrong. Now my hair is past shoulder length and I have no bangs, so it would be pretty hard to screw it up.

Theresa said...

I love Water For Elephants but am interested to see how Robert Pattinson acts in the movie... hmmm

Just watched the first two episodes of season 1 of True Blood. Does it get less cheezy? does the HORRIBLY BAD interpretation of their southern "accent" get more bearable? I have the next disc on the way from Netflix, so here's hoping it gets better. I really enjoyed the books

Also, I would have handled it the way you did, which was to be *forgive me* a doormat and let the nice old lady butcher my hair. It's actually happened once or twice to me in my lifetime. I finally found a woman that I REALLY trust and I no longer let anyone cut my hair. She's also the only person in the world that my husband lets near him with a pair of scissors. She came on a recommend from my sister who's hair ALWAYS looked awesome. So that's my advice. Ask people who's hair cuts you like and then go to that person.

Theresa said...

PS- I love simplicity's patterns. I have several of their costume ones and their instructions are fairly easy to follow. If you can do a tutorial, you can follow the pattern.

Dani said...

*Simplicity 3835 is an excellent beginner project. I'm thinking of making me a couple of shirts to take with me to NYC next week.

*If I'm in the chair and I can tell that it's not going to be a successful venture, I just say, "You know. I think I'm going to wait. I wasn't sure if I wanted to cut it and I think I need to wait because now I'm not sure if it's what I want."

Don't worry about hurting their feelings. It's not like you'll see her again. Probably.

I'm VERY protective of my hair...

Tammie said...

karen: im glad im not the only one too wimpy to not speak up.

theresa: i think True Blood always has a certain corniness to it that you just cant get away from. but the show is cool in that it deviates from the book A LOT, so it wont be like you're watching something you already read. stick with it, i think you'll like it.

dani: that is a really good thing to say! i'll have to remember that. i never use to be protective of my hair, thinking that they cant really mess it up THAT BAD. but this last time has wisened me up a bit.

also, i think i remember loving something on your blog that you made from that pattern a while back...ill have to go re-look at it.

hester said...

I can't help being a bit disappointed that you didn't manage to get before and after shots of both haircuts to post for us.

I know exactly what you mean though...it's so hard to speak up sometimes and say what you need to say. I think once, I hated my haircut so much that they let me off paying for it.

Tammie said...

heather: ha ha! you're evil. there is no way i would post pictures of that! not even jay could look at me. :)

Lia said...

I have very boring hair, so I've never had that problem, but I probably would have sat through it like you did, not knowing what to do or say.

Aren't you nervous about them making one of your favorite books into a movie? I always get nervous because they generally fuck it up. I still haven't seen Time Traveler's Wife for that very reason. I may never see it.

I'm dying to make myself some clothes. I'm hoping that I force myself into it this summer.

CT said...

oh, and I left you an award in my blog! hehehehe!

CT said...

I've had funny experiences too, but regarding my hair, I'm usually quite adamant. And I HAVE told my hairdresser kindly but firmly sometimes when they want to do something that is NOT my style or not what I asked, that I know what I want and can they please do that?

I know it's hard, but you are not supposed to be rude. You can be clear and insist, insist, insist! if you are a first time customer, it's even easier to walk out. Now my cousin is my regular hairdresser since last year, and it's easy cause we can talk and discuss and she gives suggestions and we both work together.

you will find eventually someone you are comfortable with!

Never read Water for Elephants, but I want to! and about It's Complicated, I too want to see it but I agree! Vampires really are the best!

I'm aching to start making summer dresses for the girls! let me know how the simplicity patterns turn out!

oh and by the way, I think you SHOULD post photos. There's no way any hair cut could make YOU look bad.

Aleta said...

I don't know that I would have done anything differently than how you handled it. Though... my regular hairstylist decided to try something different on me a couple of years ago. The "thing" to do back then was the blond highlights. She talked me into it. Only, I was expecting more subtle highlights, she instead gave me stripes. I liked like a zebra! I walked out of the salon, went home, looked at myself in the mirror and said, "Who in the heck?!" I got back in my car, went back to the salon and told her to put my nature hair color back on. She tried to convince me to let other people see it. I wouldn't budge and stood my ground. By the end of it, I was all brunette again and very happy.