Sunday, May 2, 2010

Portland Saturday

We headed out to the Portland Saturday Market yesterday, which is a lively place filled with arts and crafts, music, and all types of food and drink (I was finally able to try horchata-it was good not great, but sweeter than expected.) I even saw a street preacher reading his bible and screaming into a microphone. Hey, not my thing, but still interesting nonetheless.

I was reticent to part with the bit of money that I brought, but when I saw these crayons, I just knew I had to have them. Seriously, how cute are they?I love kitties and I love new crayons and the two combined just about puts me over the edge. I may let the girl use them. The creators have an etsy shop, Kitty Baby Love, in case you want some kitty crayons of your own. (They also have candles, if you aren't in the market for crayons.)

Also downtown, was a carnival/festival event for Cinco de Mayo. What follows are numerous self indulgent pictures, mostly starring my children enjoying those festivities:
Finally, a few shots of the area where all this took place, the Tom McCall Waterfront park:I have no desire to turn this blog into all Oregon, all the time, but in case it's not obvious, I'm loving my new home state. I truly feel like my little family belongs here. That being said, I was super excited to come home and find these in my mailbox, courtesy of Peggy.(Thanks again, Peggy!) I can't tell you how glad I am to have these resources. I've begun studying them and now maybe I'll be brave enough to venture out on my own to a destination other than Target, the middle school, or the grocery store.

19 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

isn't it fun when the place you are living feels like HOME?

congrats! I am so damn happy for you.

The pics were great! You were so worried about the kids and they seem to have adapted quite well.

Now we just have to get you out of the area to explore other than Target. :-) Mass transit perhaps? Is that in the burbs?

Daphne said...

Whenever you feel ready to explore beyond PDX, you can head over to the coast! Sooooo different from the Atlantic. Bring multiple sweaters. Still, I love few places more than I love the Oregon coast.

so glad you are enjoying your new home state so much. You look like you belong.

Theresa said...

I am so jealous of all the awesome things to do up there! And those kitty crayons are sooo neat! I don't think I could bring myself to color with them.

kraftykash said...

What a great place to live!! Im so happy for you. :)

Alisha said...

OMG. I don't even like cats but those crayons are freakin' adorable. I will have to check out the shop. man, I am so happy for you guys! It does sound like this will be a happily ever after :)

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I'm glad you're settling in -- It must be so exciting to have such a clean slate. Enjoy.

Dani said...

Very cute crayons. I don't think I could use them. I'd have to save them for eye candy only.

I'm so glad you are loving your new home. I'm glad that it feels like home and that you are ready to put down the roots you have so long desired.

Go you!

Not Your Aunt B said...

It looks like a perfect fit for your family! HOORAY!

CT said...

horaay! I'm glad you feel at home there! it must be awful hating where you live, and you deserve to be in a place you love! :D

hester said...

Oregon looks beautiful to me and I'd love to see more so bring it on. The trees look especially beautiful (but then most trees do compared to gum trees!)

So glad you feel happy and at home and that all the upheaval is worth it. Send me your address soon as your little box is nearly full.

Not Hannah said...

I can "hear" the happiness in your "voice." Yay!! Can't wait to read about more of your Oregon adventures (totally living vicariously through you, my friend.)

Jessie at The Re/volution of J said...

T,
Post away! This is an adventure and we're along for the ride!
Happy discovering,
J

Jessie at The R/evolution of J said...

Good news! http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=497326&GT1=28103

Tammie said...

jess: ha! i actually just saw that the other day. you could say im a little excited. squee!

Mari said...

Looks awesome!

Lia said...

What a fun weekend! And those crayons are adorable.

I had no idea there were Cinco de Mayo celebrations outside of Texas, well and Mexico, of course. But I never would have thought I'd see it in the Pac NW.

Becky..AMHW said...

Horchata is best with the type of mexican food that turns your lower half into uncomfortable spasming liquid.

I'm glad you've made it to Portland. That's where my husband's Dad and stepmom live. If you run into them, you don't know me.

dawn said...

i like lucy's jacket.

Tammie said...

isnt it cool? i picked it up on clearance at the gap in gainesville. i think i paid $13 for it, or some ridiculously cheap price.

i want one in my size. i love the 3/4 length sleeves.